Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-30-2011, 03:56 AM - 1 Like   #31
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
I managed to get a 95+% focus success rate this morning at soccer with my K-x, this time with a 50-135. It really is very very good on AF-C.
The 50-135 is know to be a slow AF performer. Good for you if it is sufficient for your needs but in absolute terms your camera/lens combination is not fast.

I'm honestly not sure how a Nikon would be any better in the kind of situations I'm currently using my camera in.
Maybe that's because you haven't tried a Nikon with a fast AF lens yet?

I think it's important to remember just how capable our Pentax cameras are as if you believe everything you read on the web you'd probably give up and not even attempt to shoot sports with a Pentax.
At whom is this directed?
Arpe knows how to shoot sports with a Pentax (both K20D and K-7). He did some great shots with Pentax AF. That doesn't mean that the Nikon cannot be a better tool.

Horses for courses. I don't see myself changing to Nikon but for others it is a perfectly fine decision.

05-30-2011, 04:05 AM   #32
Pentaxian

I'm sure you're right, my needs aren't demanding and Pentax is sufficient. Other's have more demanding situations and need Nikon AF. Nothing we all don't already know.
05-30-2011, 07:03 AM   #33
Forum Member

Brief history of my situation. I was looking to get a battery grip for my K-x so I could shoot basketball more comfortably in portrait mode. Found out there isn't a battery grip for the K-x, so I naturally looked into the K-5 + grip. K-5 reviews sound really good, but I started reading about low light autofocus issues.

Now I'm not sure if the K-5 is the best solution, or if I should switch to another brand (was looking into the Nikon D90 because it's the most cost effective way to move at this time).

Can anybody with experience using the K-7 and K-5 provide some insight into the improvements in autofocus accuracy and speed of the K-5 (especially in sports photography).

Has anybody used a D90? Comparisons to the K-7, K-5 and/or D300s would be helpful.

Last edited by JeremyP; 05-30-2011 at 08:00 AM.
05-30-2011, 08:10 AM   #34
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dylansalt Quote
The reality is that in most instances any old dslr will do and even some p&s to have publishable shots.

Most only used a 50mm in the old days;-)

Most published shots in mags are never more than A4 which even a p&s can easily achieve in most instances and with decent PS skills these days, just about any shot can be "made"

The K5 is certainly a lovely camera but Pentax certainly lacks lens choices for many (and some other features) which for many make the switch worthwhile.

The Pentax 55-300 (I have it) can certainly produce some sublime images, but is no match for the Nikon 70-300 FF with re: tactile feel/quality of lens, autofocus speed and sharpness from 70-250.

Pentax has nothing like the Nikon 16-85 consumer zoom which is only a tad off any primes performance in those focal ranges - its nothing short of phenomenal

I personally found the D7000 much better fit in my hand the the K5 (I have relatively small hands) and too be quite honest I do not find the Nikon big by any means - it's actually lighter with the 16-85 attached then my Contax 35mm with the 50 1.4 Planar.

For anyone to say that 100% flash keeper rate is to be poohed at, I really wonder. Well, if you have a 100% keeper rate, you are not being very critical at your pictures.

In the same note how can anyone say that 3D tracking with customizable 9-34 assist points is not a massive leap over what Pentax can offer on their flagship K5?? because more is necessarely better. I have the K-&7and i miss the 6 segmented metering they had with the MZ-S. I thought it was better that the 77 or so they ahve now. (I know you are talkig about AF, just wanted to make a point more isn't always better)

With re: Weather sealing - I have used the Nikon is some very demanding conditions without a hint of "weather" effects.

If the K5 could have matched the D7000 exactly spec for spec and in efficiency in EVERY dept then I most probably would have been using the K5 today

Lastly with regards to published photo's - there are a gazillion amazing shots from the average tog using Oly, Nikon, Canon, Sony and non of them get sponsored.

Why is it that when someone using a Pentax gets a spectacular scenic, sports shot etc it's regrading as amazing due to that it was shot with a Pentax?? Well because it ia alwasy said that Pentax isn't good at sports photography. So when an amazing shot is made, ofcourse people want to be proud, and say: ha I thought my pentax isn't good for sports

But if a tog was looking for the smallest toughest dslr with a LTD or two for street/landscape/event then the K5 is the only dslr that can fit that need. Nope, the K-7 is also more than capable, you just need to know how to work the camera. As 99% of the picture taking is all about the (wo)man behind the camera.
see my reply in red

05-30-2011, 10:00 AM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BB_Zone28 Quote
I appreciate you're "Nikonthink" comment as I've found the Nikon way of adjusting a camera an acquired taste after much frustration and searching over and over thru the owner's manual to discover how they can come up with the most unusual ways of doing things from my perspective. Please allow me to rant about this for moment, and I do agree that Nikon does have a great AF system.
I've helped beginners with Nikons (some with D300 that were oversold to them by the camera dealer) to figure out where to find and how to adjust settings on their cameras. Compared to Canon or Pentax cameras which I've used a lot, Nikon has some really different (read: strange) ways of organizing settings and making adjustments. Some things seem redundant as in after you make a menu selection to change something, you have to again tell it that it's really what you wanted when you select it or else it proceeds to ignore what you just selected while you're initially left with the impression that what you've selected should now have been set as it would be for a Canon or Pentax.
Also, a D300 user was having problems finding how to adjust their flash settings on the camera body. That section of the owner's manual said to adjust 'so and so' but we couldn't find how to bring up the menu and we searched thru everything in that section ...apparently the manual assumes you already know things they're not telling you. We even had an aftermarket book with us on the D300 that was 200 to 300 pages and it didn't tell us anything different either. Finally after wasting significant amounts of time we find that there's a button on the body you have to press to activate the menu...why couldn't they have said that in the owner manual instead of assuming you already know that????? Very poorly written, but I guess it adds to the mystique of making Nikons an acquired taste.
I can grab a Pentax or Canon and usually very quickly get things set up for what I want to shoot, but if I grab a Nikon I have to fiddle away critical minutes trying to figure out what the mindset is for how to find and set things.
Thanks for listening to my rant based on personal experience.
That's a shame, but it explains a LOT. I joined this great camera club after i bought my first Pentax dslr. The president of the club had a Nikon and was holding sessions every Wednesday morning for people to get to know their camera. She encouraged folks to bring their instruction booklets also. I never understood this huge emphasis on learning to know one's camera because my camera didn't take that much time to learn. I've seen even an experienced Nikon audobon bird shooter struggle to find his bracketing features when i held a field trip on hdr.

I still have an older 7 megapixel Canon PS and love how simple it is to navigate. The K10/20 were very easy to learn, i thought. K5 menu system is still fine, but a little more complex than its predecessors, IMO.
08-18-2011, 02:10 AM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ccd333 Quote
I usually try to keep within 1/4000s to 1/5000s to help keep the freezing of movement consistent.
That seems very fast. Probably 1/1250 to 1/2000 would be more than enough and enable you to keep your ISO lower.

QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
On the negative side, it is a pity that Voigtlander and Zeiss stopped to manufacture K-mount lenses.
It's very easy to get a mount change for roughly US$50 (here) or maybe US$100 for a Leitax - worth it for such great lenses.

The K5 is certainly a lovely camera but Pentax certainly lacks lens choices for many (and some other features) which for many make the switch worthwhile.
Oft quoted but for 90% of people it's a gross exaggeration. When you distill the lens availability by filtering for VR (expensive - all lenses on a Pentax have it), FL range (only sports shooters need lenses over 300mm), quality (consumer, semi-pro or pro) and price (to your own budget) and add in 3rd party lenses and legacy lenses then the difference is minimal to say the least.

For anyone to say that 100% flash keeper rate is to be poohed at, I really wonder.
100% keeper rate ? That's a world's first.

With re: Weather sealing - I have used the Nikon is some very demanding conditions without a hint of "weather" effects.
It's amazing how often I hear that ... until something happens. Maybe the 'semi-pro' and especially pro Canikons do have weather sealing, and I bet they as good as the K5's but they just don't like to commit to it, maybe for guarantee reasons (i'm thinking 7D, D300s, 5dII, D700 here, not D7000, 60D etc.).

If the K5 could have matched the D7000 exactly spec for spec and in efficiency in EVERY dept then I most probably would have been using the K5 today
No camera vs camera can ever do that. You have to choose the functions that suit your own photography best.

QuoteOriginally posted by Macario Quote
Nope, the K-7 is also more than capable, you just need to know how to work the camera. As 99% of the picture taking is all about the (wo)man behind the camera.
I had the K7, and it's an excellent camera that I loved until I bought the K5, but the K5 is streets ahead. There are many situations (especially with the high ISO & extended DR) where the K5 blows the K7 away. I sold the K7 after becoming frustrated going out and using it side-by-side with the K5.
08-18-2011, 06:20 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
The 50-135 is know to be a slow AF performer. Good for you if it is sufficient for your needs but in absolute terms your camera/lens combination is not fast.
The 50-135mm (I use it all the time for action shooting) is not that fast for racking through the whole range. But point to point AF-C is quite reliable on the K-5. I was surprised to have a high number of keeper (shooting a roller coaster at less than 10m away), much higher than K-7 for 2 reasons: AF is of course faster but the fps is also almost double the K-7 despite the specs saying 5.2fps vs 7fps. In AF-C you never reach these numbers, the K-7 barely reached 3fps in AF-C. And the high ISO of the K-5 also helps to get those high shutter speed for action stopping shots.

For me the K-5 closed the gap (with D300) significantly. I don't shoot action/sport enough to make me want to switch but if the K-5 didn't perform as well I was willing to consider a D700/D300/7D.
08-18-2011, 06:54 AM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ManuH Quote
The 50-135mm (I use it all the time for action shooting) is not that fast for racking through the whole range. But point to point AF-C is quite reliable on the K-5. I was surprised to have a high number of keeper (shooting a roller coaster at less than 10m away), much higher than K-7 for 2 reasons: AF is of course faster but the fps is also almost double the K-7 despite the specs saying 5.2fps vs 7fps. In AF-C you never reach these numbers, the K-7 barely reached 3fps in AF-C. And the high ISO of the K-5 also helps to get those high shutter speed for action stopping shots.

For me the K-5 closed the gap (with D300) significantly. I don't shoot action/sport enough to make me want to switch but if the K-5 didn't perform as well I was willing to consider a D700/D300/7D.
This is quite true. With the K5, I can actually track things with a DA 55-300 and keep a decent enough shutter speed to keep them sharp. With the K7, that seldom happened. The DA *50-135 isn't going to keep up with action moving directly at the photographer, moving with any speed, but otherwise it will do pretty decently on the K5.