Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-07-2007, 06:27 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Winter's On its Way! Camera Care?

What do you do special? How do you take care of your camera? I'm almost embarrassed to admit it, but after shooting an SLR/DSLR for 7 years, I don't have one winter scene! Its time for that to end! I guess the speed at which my sunglasses fog up in the winter made me nervous for my lenses!

Last edited by jshurak; 11-07-2007 at 07:10 AM.
11-07-2007, 06:37 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jshurak Quote
What do you do special? How do you take care of your camera?
None what so ever.

Having said that, what I really mean is that when I come inside I NEVER dismount anything from the camera, and never pull off lens caps etc until it stabalizes, I usually leave the entire kit in the bag for some time, just to avoid heavy condensate
11-07-2007, 07:11 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Lowell! What about stepping outside? Changing lenses? Do you take the same approach? Leave the camera in the bag until it cools down?
11-07-2007, 08:00 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
In the winter I often go to our local conservatory to take macros in their butterfly wing. Going from a dry 70 degrees at home, to a dry 0 degrees outside, and then to a humid 80 degrees at the conservatory, all within about 10 minutes, would probably cause my camera to explode. At home I attach the lens I will use, and then keep the camera in the bag until I have been at the conservatory for a few minutes.

And I make sure never to remove the lens. I did that once about a week after getting my K100 and everything fogged up, inside and out on the camera. Luckily there was no harm done!

11-07-2007, 08:07 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks Lowell! What about stepping outside? Changing lenses? Do you take the same approach? Leave the camera in the bag until it cools down?
Generally yes.

you need to think about what you are doing, especially in extremes, i.e. hot to cold, dry to humid, etc.
11-07-2007, 08:39 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I use my camera a lot outside in near or below freezing temps and the most important thing you can do to avoid condensation problems is to get a big ziplock bag.

Once you're finished shooting outside, bag the camera and suck as much air as you can from the ziplock. Once inside, leave the camera in the bag until it has reached room temp. This prevents condensation from forming on and inside the camera.

Other than that, keep spare charged batteries in an inside pocket (where they are kept warm), or use lithiums if it's really cold. I've successfully used normal rechargables in -20 temps by swaping them with warm ones every 15-20 minutes.

My 2 cents

Pat
11-07-2007, 12:01 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

What do you do special? How do you take care of your camera? I'm almost embarrassed to admit it, but after shooting an SLR/DSLR for 7 years, I don't have one winter scene! Its time for that to end! I guess the speed at which my sunglasses fog up in the winter made me nervous for my lenses!
We're still seeing temperatures in the 90's here in Phoenix- in fact, we set a new record of 94 degrees yesterday.

Whenever I travel to cold places, however, I put my camera in sturdy bag and keep it sealed as often as possible. If I'm travelling by car, I make sure to only take my camera and one lens out at a time to shoot, and I leave the rest of the gear inside.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: