Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-26-2011, 09:29 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Who Brought Us the SLR? Story from B&H

A bit of history with Pentax included, it make me aware that the K-5 in my hand have come a long way.

Who Brought Us the SLR? | BH Insights

"The First Japanese SLR

Asahi Optical Company was the first to introduce many of the features that are common in SLRs as we know them today. In 1952, they launched the first-ever Japanese SLR, known as the Asahiflex, which featured an eye-level viewfinder."

Lee

05-26-2011, 09:31 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Nice find...thanks for sharing
05-26-2011, 09:36 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

nice find, i'll use this when someone asks me why i shoot pentax in future i think
05-26-2011, 09:43 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

FYI this was written by Adam, our Administrator/Webmaster.
Way to go oh fearless leader!

05-26-2011, 09:43 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Actually, that article was written by Adam.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/145320-i-wrote-article.html

Tim
06-05-2011, 09:03 AM   #6
Inactive Account

I must say the best SLR ever made is the Pentax K1000...
06-05-2011, 09:14 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jamarley Quote
FYI this was written by Adam, our Administrator/Webmaster.
Way to go oh fearless leader!
Thank you! I was going to post that, but you beat me to it. It just goes to prove that this is the best Pentax forum available...and the best overall photography forum out there.
06-05-2011, 09:30 AM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by derwud Quote
I must say the best SLR ever made is the Pentax K1000...
The most sold and popular, but not necessarily the best.

This is the way it panned out in a survey about 10 years ago.
http://kmp.bdimitrov.de/technology/topBodies/index.html

06-23-2011, 05:51 PM   #9

Photos: Albums
No, the first SLR that we would recognize as such and that drove the configuration (barring being left-handed) we still use today was by Exakta. The posted article is wrong.
06-23-2011, 06:57 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by zekewhipper Quote
No, the first SLR that we would recognize as such and that drove the configuration (barring being left-handed) we still use today was by Exakta. The posted article is wrong.
The Exacta didn't have a pentaprism, and the early models did not have an auto-return reflex mirror.
06-23-2011, 07:01 PM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by zekewhipper Quote
The article specifically referred to the Japanese SLR which is in fact what started the trend of the SLR as a major platform. Plus, I wouldn't consider the Exakta all that recognizable, the Contax S or D is another story though since it had the prism finder and m42 lens mount. The left-hand advance style Exakta is an interesting body though. I actually have a Contax D and Praktiflex Fx and Asahiflex and Pentax K just for fun. The big thing for Asahi Optical was the instant return mirror and quick advance lever.
06-23-2011, 07:06 PM   #12
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by alohadave Quote
The Exacta didn't have a pentaprism, and the early models did not have an auto-return reflex mirror.
I would argue that the Contax S was the first that looked like a "modern" slr given its prism and m42 mount. What Asahi Optical added to the looks of the Practiflex FX type bodies was the instant return mirror and Galileo finder. The Pentax 'AP' added in addition to the quick return mirror the quick advance mirror.

http://captjack.exaktaphile.com/praktina/Contax-Pentacon%20Cameras.htm

The Exakta V had an interchangeable prism for the waist level finder in 1950 and so did the Pracktiflex ~ 1952

http://captjack.exaktaphile.com/EXAKTA%20V1.htm

http://camerapedia.wikia.com/wiki/Praktiflex

Up until 1957, Canon and Nikon were building rangefinder bodies with Leica and Contax rf mounts. Then the Pentax 'AP' changed things dramatically and the Germans were in denial about the SLRs coming out of Japan until around 1968. That instant return mirror, Pentaprism, quick advance mirror along with the development of automatic diaphragm lenses made the slr very fast operating and quick to focus.

Last edited by Blue; 06-23-2011 at 07:20 PM.
06-23-2011, 08:10 PM   #13

Nice.... thanks for sharing. I actually own an Asahiflex and ME-F

I highly recommend picking up an Asahiflex if you enjoy shooting with vintage. Its a fun camera to own and use. Tower (Sears) rebranded it too...

It took about 5 years to track down an operating ME-F to attach to the ME-F af lens I found at a camera swap. Its a neat addition to the collection BUT not all that nice to use in practice.

I do have to say that Minolta deserves a mention since they brought the first successful integrated AF body to market in 1985 with the Maxxum 7000. Shortly after the ME-F which was obviously a half hearted attempt at showhorning AF into the ME body.

This Maxxum 7000 is now also in my collection and was my fathers... the camera that I enjoyed for many years throughout college.

06-23-2011, 08:41 PM   #14
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by usayit Quote
Nice.... thanks for sharing. I actually own an Asahiflex and ME-F

I highly recommend picking up an Asahiflex if you enjoy shooting with vintage. Its a fun camera to own and use. Tower (Sears) rebranded it too...

It took about 5 years to track down an operating ME-F to attach to the ME-F af lens I found at a camera swap. Its a neat addition to the collection BUT not all that nice to use in practice.

I do have to say that Minolta deserves a mention since they brought the first successful integrated AF body to market in 1985 with the Maxxum 7000. Shortly after the ME-F which was obviously a half hearted attempt at showhorning AF into the ME body.

This Maxxum 7000 is now also in my collection and was my fathers... the camera that I enjoyed for many years throughout college.
That ME F body is great with M series lenses and very much like using an ME Super.
06-24-2011, 02:21 AM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
That ME F body is great with M series lenses and very much like using an ME Super.
It works just like it.... but when used with the AF lens for which it was intended, its not practical. Its heavier since the lens has its own batteries, no real user input or control over the AF, its noisy, and really slow. Handling wise its odd since the AF buttons are on the lens barrel on a push pull zoom no doubt. That setup pictured uses 12 batteries... In grip, lens, and body combined. At least the lens is decent optically...