Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-28-2011, 08:48 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Nope, I was shooting bare. I rarely use a filter unless I am photographing out at the beach or something. I don't even like lens hoods much. I have one for this lens, flower type, but I wasn't using it actually. More later.

Like I said I am going to try to repeat this little experiment later this afternoon. Hopefully I'll get out of here in time to shoot some. I'm over helping my folks with their stuff today. I'm doing laundry, cleaning the kitchen, cooking some so they will have some food options for the weekend.

I think I am going to use another lens too as well as the Tamron to compare.

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
These settings do not match shooting outside on a sunny day. Sunny 16 rule says if you are at ISO3200 and f16, you should be getting 1/3200 shutter speed. You are at f/8 and a much slower shutter speed.

Have you got filters on the front of your lens?

05-28-2011, 09:59 AM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
Actually but for about 2/3 of these shots I was out in 90 ish weather in some pretty strong tropical level daylight. FYI, I live closer to the equator than not. Summer's already well on here date notwithstanding. Usually the sun is too harsh for most of the day to do much outdoors because there is so much of it.
Well, then, somehow you have to explain why the Exif tells a *completely* different story. That's where seeing an actual image would help.

QuoteQuote:
There is just no way I needed 3200 iso to take pics of a lizard basking on a brick outside under those circumstances.
Then you need to explain the fault in my analysis of the Exif info. According to the camera, it clearly *did* need ISO 3200 in order to get a fast enough shutter speed, as I pretty clearly explained. A lower ISO would have meant a slower shutter speed, and it was *already* at or below at the minimum acceptable shutter speed. Can you not see that?

I certainly agree with you that in bright sun this *shouldn't* have been the case, but once more, without seeing the pictures, there's no way to really say anything more. If you didn't get a *completely* washed out picture (as in, nothing but solid white) at that ISO, aperture and shutter speed, then the camera was *not* getting full sun.
05-28-2011, 10:19 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I get what you are saying, logically, but still, I was standing out there in my yard, in what can only be termed as scorching sunlight almost the whole time. I actually got somewhat sunburned a bit on my face, neck, et all because I forgot to reapply the sunblock and I was out a bit too long for it to keep being effective. That's not enough light for the K-x to use a higher aperture and shutter speed? No, I wasn't getting a total white light, but the lizard shots were a bit over exposed actually.

I actually don't have the pics I shot yesterday now. They weren't anything I wanted to keep. Bad lizard shots, hardly worth the space on a DVD. I actually deleted them once I grabbed the file info to post here thinking I wouldn't need them anymore. Sorry, I don't tend to keep the crap shots for too long anymore. I'll take more around 4 or so if I can get done with all my folks stuff and get home in time.
05-28-2011, 12:49 PM   #19

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just a couple of comments on autofocus modes: I almost always use centre point AF-S and recompose, especially as I take a lot of high school theatre and dance shots with stage lighting and wide open aperture. But for birds in flight, I find the best is 5 point autofocus (not 11 point) and AF-C. I get a lot of keepers that way. I don't think I EVER use 11 point; the camera will choose where to focus, not me.

05-28-2011, 06:16 PM   #20
Pentaxian

If I were to guess on the limited information so far, I'd say its something to do with the lens.

If the manual shots work, and all seems fine, and this only seems to be doing it with the Tamron, then the problem probably lies with the Tamron.
05-28-2011, 11:04 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter

I had similar problem a while ago with Tamron 103A with A2 P/KA + Pentax-F 1.7x AF teleconverter, ISO was getting stuck at 3200 so I switch to more manual settings and it was fine. Can not recreate that fault any more so it must be something in K-X settings.
see attached.
Attached Images

Last edited by i_trax; 05-28-2011 at 11:11 PM. Reason: I am new here just want to test various functionalities
05-29-2011, 08:56 AM   #22
Pentaxian

I wonder if perhaps auto ISO isn't compatible with that lens?
05-29-2011, 09:52 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter

you mean Tamron 103A or Adaptall2 P/KA or Pentax AF 1.7X -
No I do not think so, I did use all of them in various combinations with different lenses and teleconverters with no problems.
I did experience similar lockout at ISO 3200 with K-X with different lenses in the past ( only on two or three occasions ), after switching to Av or P always the problem disappeared so I never bother to keep records of the exact setup. I will try to recreate and record similar problem.
kind regards
jack

05-29-2011, 11:36 AM   #24
Pentaxian

I meant the whole combination - like if for reason it wasn't transmitting all the information it should have to enable auto ISO to work. Really, though, I'm just grasping at straws. I have no idea why it would have chosen ISO 3200 in that case.