Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-27-2011, 07:53 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Pentax Km: Issue with Battery connections?

Hello!

I am new to the forum and have a question about the pentax km I have. I loved the Km although I actually have used it very little in the time I have had it as I still do most of my photography on film but I recently upgraded to the pentax kx as I wanted the capacity to shoot HD video.

I was going to sell my barely used pentax Km to help fund this upgrade but when I went to check it out I discovered that when I put new batteries in, the camera doesn't always work. If I put in good quality batteries this is not so much of a problem but sometimes you still have to reload the batteries to get the camera to register them.

I think it is an issue with the connectors on the camera not fully coming into contact with the batteries, is this a know issue with the KM or just mine? Obviously I feel that I can't really sell it on with this issue which is a shame as it is still as new except for this minor issue.

Does anybody know how this could be fixed?

05-27-2011, 09:03 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Clean the contacts with alcohol and try again.
05-27-2011, 10:34 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Pentax dSLRs that use AAs are notoriously battery fussy.

I have a K100D that has been in storage for well over 1.5 years now (since I bought my K-x) - a few months ago I tried to power on the K100D and it did strange things - it would come on - but the shooting modes just were not right.

Initially thought perhaps the batteries (eneloops) I kept in it were low - so changed to another fully charged set - tried again and all seemed back to normal.

Checked the set of eneloops that were kept in the camera and they seemed fine - so returned that set back into the K100D and they worked fine - showing full charge.

My guess is if my K100D was inactive for a long spell - somehow it needs some form of a "kick-start" -
someone mentioned a capacitor that needs a "charge" before the camera would start properly - perhaps that had discharged from the long storage and the turning on/off and changing batteries probably helped charge/restore it back up to normal again. As I said this is just a guess.

But you might want to be a little patient and try with a known good set of batteries and use the Km for a bit and see if it starts to behave normally - perhaps like my old K100D it just needs "waking up" and "reminded" it's supposed to be working?
05-27-2011, 11:43 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery
Maybe you can check this thread, where I posted something similar with my K-m when it was new. Never had the problem since.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/61904-my-k-m-faili...aturely-2.html

05-28-2011, 04:43 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thank you everyone, I think I have this same known issue with the battery contacts. I will see if I can improve the contact.

If I still want to sell the camera should I mention this issue on the ebay listing ot just advise it should b used with quality batteries?
05-28-2011, 07:57 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pandora77 Quote
Thank you everyone, I think I have this same known issue with the battery contacts. I will see if I can improve the contact.

If I still want to sell the camera should I mention this issue on the ebay listing ot just advise it should b used with quality batteries?
Wait a minute, please....

Are you saying the Km works fine with some batteries but not with others?

If so, it has been said Pentax dSLRs using AAs are notoriously battery fussy.

For example, if you check your Km manual I believe it will actually tell you alkaline batteries are not recommended, other than for testing the camera.

Many NiMH just do not power Pentax dSLRs properly -
there are many, many threads on this forum -
that is why eneloops are the overwhelming recommendation,
or lithium disposal AA.

If that was your original issue -
then I don't think your Km has a problem.