Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-27-2011, 04:43 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Cost of Shipping Repairs to Pentax Canada?

I am needing to send my K-5 to Pentax for a dust under the LCD issue.

My previous K20 was purchased locally which handled the repairs for me, so I'm really rethinking the buying online bit. It's cheaper until you need to deal with situations like this.

I'm pricing out shipping options with insurance and it's coming to $30-$40 from BC, which is a little steep.

Anyone have any tips on cheaper options or know if Pentax will foot the bill for shipment?

Thanks!

05-27-2011, 05:18 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I thought it costs about C$20 within Canada by Canada Post? Or maybe close to $30 at the most? I know it will be cheaper shipping to USA. Don't ask me why.
05-27-2011, 05:23 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Canada Post will be your least expensive option, and they are as reliable as any other shipper.
A couple of questions, doesn't Pentax have an office in the Vancouver area that you could drop off at?
And are you absolutely certain that you need to pay for shipping insurance?
My equipment is covered under my house insurance policy, so I never bother to pay for insurance for shipping stuff.
To be fair, I have a golden insurance policy with a very low deductible.
05-27-2011, 05:37 PM   #4

Last week I shipped my K-x (body only) from Montreal to Pentax Canada in Mississauga
for repair/adjustment using Canada Post, standard 3 day delivery w/tracking number plus insured for $400.

total cost: 15.95$

According to previous e-mails exchanged with them, they pay for return shipping.

Michel

06-02-2011, 10:58 AM   #5
nah

Original Poster
Yeah, I contacted them and they're only paying for shipping for stained sensor problems only. I wish companies would be like Dell and handle the shipping for all problems that QC should have picked up.

Canada Post being on strike soon, I called Fedex and on ground service and $1300 in insurance, it's going to cost $32. As for house insurance, I think the deductible for any claims would almost not be worth it. I did look into purchase protection from my VISA, but it's only a 90 day coverage and it's almost over that.

The Pentax Canada HQ use to be in Vancouver and they moved out to Mississauga a few years back.

They better fix the problem right the first time, as I had to return my K20D 3 times previously for failed repairs.
06-17-2011, 11:01 AM   #6
nah

Original Poster
I called Pentax today and they had shipped the unit back to me yesterday!

It arrived there on June 8th and shipped yesterday, so that's a 8 day turn around. I'm actually impressed, but let's hope everything is fine and dandy or I'm going to have to send a note to the service manager.

It's just not the same shooting with the K20 once you've experienced the K-5; can't wait to get it back!
06-17-2011, 11:12 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by nah Quote
I am needing to send my K-5 to Pentax for a dust under the LCD issue.

My previous K20 was purchased locally which handled the repairs for me, so I'm really rethinking the buying online bit. It's cheaper until you need to deal with situations like this.

I'm pricing out shipping options with insurance and it's coming to $30-$40 from BC, which is a little steep.

Anyone have any tips on cheaper options or know if Pentax will foot the bill for shipment?

Thanks!
Although not repair to pentax, but to tamron's authorized service center in canada to get my 28-85 repaired, I paid I think about $25 to have the lens shipped. I consider for warranty, the cost to send the defective part to the company is the responsibility of the owner, but cost of return is that of the company. That is how tamron worked, and the only reason I sent it as opposed to dropping it off was because it was just a little too far to drive in reasonable business hours. Pentaxx canada on the other hand is only 20 minutes away by car. For them, I drive