Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-28-2011, 07:16 AM   #1
Veteran Member

K-x... Slow to focus in Liveview

Hi... Although I rarely use liveview I do find that the K-x is really slow to lock focus... It doesnot seem to matter which lens I mount...

My firmware is 1.01...

Also... After pressing the liveview button there is a kind of 'whirring' sound and the K-x sort of rattles when you move... Normal?

Advance thanks
Dave

05-28-2011, 07:32 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DaveHolmes Quote
Also... After pressing the liveview button there is a kind of 'whirring' sound and the K-x sort of rattles when you move... Normal?
Its the Shake reduction.
05-28-2011, 08:26 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The AF in liveview is slow. Not much you can do about it, has to do with the limitations the camera has when focusing with the mirror up and sensor exposed. I tend to just go manual focus in liveview, much faster.
05-28-2011, 09:09 AM   #4

Photos: Albums
live view is slow, one should not expect point and shoot/four thirds live view performance from an DSLR's live view

05-30-2011, 06:07 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I rarely use live view on my K-x, I guess it is because I am used to using a film SLR and using the view finder. I have a point and shoot and I always use the LCD screen on the other hand.
I only used the live view maybe a handlful of times on the K-x but that was just to play around with it and see what it can do, I noticed that the focusing was extremely slow.
If you want to use the live view on this camera then I suggest you use the manual focus.
I always have the screen shut off on my camera as much as possible, I really don't have a use for it other than to occasionally check exposure, but I am also the type of person who is still kind of locked in the film era where you shoot your photos and wait until it is developed to see the results of your handiwork, I still apply it to digital photography, I have faith in my shots enough to not have to "chimp" after every shot. Once I load up the images in my laptop it is like opening a gift and being surprised at what I get. Ya sometimes I don't get the shot off just the way I like but then again it is chalked up to a learning experience and I strive to do better the next photo shoot I go on.
In my own opinion if you want to learn photography then stop relying on the LCD screen altogether and go with your gut instinct as you learn, I find it more rewarding that way.
But that's just me and my old school ways
06-06-2011, 12:52 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by macky112 Quote
live view is slow, one should not expect point and shoot/four thirds live view performance from an DSLR's live view
Surely for the amount we paid for a dslr body should we not be asking 'why is the liveview focusing performance not as quick as on considerably cheaper P&S cameras?'
06-06-2011, 04:01 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Contrast AF (which is the AF used in liveview) is considerably faster in the K-r and K-5.

06-06-2011, 04:12 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Surely for the amount we paid for a dslr body should we not be asking 'why is the liveview focusing performance not as quick as on considerably cheaper P&S cameras?'
Well, they can either spend the money on improving the liveview AF, or they can spend the money on improving the things most people who buy DSLR's use them for. Me, I'd feel ripped off if they cheated some other feature just make P&S shooters happy.
06-06-2011, 04:55 PM   #9
Veteran Member

should we not be asking 'why is the liveview focusing performance not as quick as on considerably cheaper P&S cameras?'
Because in P&S liveview is all you have to focus with, and the P&S has the easy job of just working with one lens specifically engineered for that P&S.

A DSLR has viewfinder based phase-detect AF as it's primary focus system, with liveview based contrast AF, and eyeball based manual focus as secondary options, so a DSLR does more than a P&S. Liveview AF is also a relatively recent addition to DSLR's.

Liveview also eats batteries, fwiw.
06-07-2011, 08:05 AM   #10
Pentaxian

yes, it's slow. I don't even remember using it except for a macro shot.