Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-14-2006, 02:52 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Ordered my K10!

Placed my order for the K10D w/ the kit lens with BeachCamera.

I hope I made the right choice. I chose the K10 over the K100 for the longer battery life, faster AF (I do a lot of motorsports shooting) and the weather seals. My previous DSLR was a KonicaMinolta Maxxum 5D so i'm sold on anti-shake.

I'm really not the kind of person to buy something when it just comes out so I hope mine doesn't have any manufacturing defects. (crosses fingers)

Now I'll officially be a Pentax owner.

12-14-2006, 03:26 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Congratulations...

Look forward to seeing some of your motorsport shots with the K10d...
12-14-2006, 04:46 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Many congrats - I'm sure they have a return policy so just make sure you check the cam out when you get it. Mines OK so far and easily the bet camera I have ever owned.
Welcome to the club.
12-14-2006, 05:08 PM   #4

Photos: Albums
I love mine - you'll love yours.

I shoot offroad events and can't wait for the next one so I can have some fun with this new toy!

The weather resistance was a key feature given the outdoor nature of the events I cover - and there's no such thing as a rain delay in offroading...LOL

I'm into about 450 shots on my first charge, used the as the whole time, flash for about 40 shots, loads of reviewing and deleting - still just at the half-juice mark on the battery - so, IMO, for outdoor shooting of events, most likely one fully charged battery will work for you.

I'm fine with the image quality form the Pentax 18-55 I bought, and will probably pick up the 75-200 zoomer in January. For $200 CDN it's value, IMO.

My money is on you loving the K10d - congrats!

12-14-2006, 05:46 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You will love the K10D. It is made for the type of photos you want to take. The limitless jpeg shooting at 3fps is great as is the faster AF. Welcome to the Pentax family. This camera is built so much better than the entry Canon and Sony DSLRs you won't believe it.
enjoy.
thanks
barondla
12-14-2006, 06:21 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great choice!

congradulations!

randy
12-14-2006, 07:52 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by doggydude Quote
I love mine - you'll love yours.

I shoot offroad events and can't wait for the next one so I can have some fun with this new toy!

The weather resistance was a key feature given the outdoor nature of the events I cover - and there's no such thing as a rain delay in offroading...LOL

I'm into about 450 shots on my first charge, used the as the whole time, flash for about 40 shots, loads of reviewing and deleting - still just at the half-juice mark on the battery - so, IMO, for outdoor shooting of events, most likely one fully charged battery will work for you.

I'm fine with the image quality form the Pentax 18-55 I bought, and will probably pick up the 75-200 zoomer in January. For $200 CDN it's value, IMO.

My money is on you loving the K10d - congrats!
Cool. Since your'e from NC, you'd understand what the weather conditions are like at ViR (virginia international raceway). I was shooting at a 3-day GT racing event this past October and the staff like to say that ViR "has it's own weather system" .. it was 45deg, cold, damp, off/on rain. I had to make a poncho for my 5d and it did well.

Well I won't be going to any big events like that until early spring, so for now I'll be trying it out on my dogs and going to the stable my mother in law keeps her horses at. They're always fun.

Thanks for the congrats. This forum is awesome.

12-15-2006, 09:22 AM   #8
Inactive Account

My contact at Pentax finally got around to getting my credit card # yesterday, so it has been OFFICIALLY ordered. The camera/lens should come in ten days but it might take a bit longer for the grip and the 10-17 fish-eye.

While I've been looking forward to this since I learned about the camera in September, I feel I'm moving forward and backwards with this purchase. I've been shooting digital since '99 but have always used a self contained camera that had tilt screens and or electronic view finders never a DSLR. I've gotten so used to having the ability to compose up high or down low without using the view finder, that I'll have to relearn how to shoot with an SLR. LOL Time will tell.

Michael
12-15-2006, 11:14 PM   #9
WRB
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

the wait will be long

no matter how many days it takes you will grow anxious. I picked mine up today after a 3 week wait. I had no power at home after a strong storm yesterday. I charged my batttery at a friends house this evening. I am looking forward to the morning.
12-16-2006, 06:49 PM   #10

Original Poster
Update: Mo was right, BeachCamera is awesome!

I ordered the K10D w/ kit lens to be shipped to my work address on Thursday at 12pm, it came to my work Friday (yesterday) around the same time! :O

I mean, I know they're only a state away but I didn't opt for the faster shipping, plus their policy states there's a 2day wait if you have it shipped to somewhere else besides your billing address. Wooow!

Don't have a memory card for it but I did play with it a little today. The autofocus blows my 5D away!