Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-08-2007, 05:26 AM   #1
Inactive Account

ISO Options?

Hello, I just got my K10D and I've had a quick look through the manual but I'm unable to find a way to increase ISO options. Does the K10D only have ISOs 100, 200, 400, 800 & 1600 or are there also inbetween ISO settings like ISO125? I have done a search on the forum but can't lock an answer down.

Tim H

11-08-2007, 05:37 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Timbuctoo Quote
Hello, I just got my K10D and I've had a quick look through the manual but I'm unable to find a way to increase ISO options.
Look at the functions for EV Steps, first page of custom settings. this can either be 1/2 or 1/3 stops this controls everything, shutter apature and ISO.
QuoteQuote:
Does the K10D only have ISOs 100, 200, 400, 800 & 1600 or are there also inbetween ISO settings like ISO125? I have done a search on the forum but can't lock an answer down.

Tim H
Once you have set the EV Steps, press the FN button and using the 4 direction selector select ISO, you will see nominal 100,200, etc numbered, with divisions in either 1/2 or 1/3 stops depending on EV steps setting, you can pick any intermediate ISO as long as it is either 1/3 or 1/2 of a stop from a nominal ISO
11-08-2007, 05:37 AM   #3
Forum Member

I don't have my k10d with me right now, but there is an option to set iso to step as ev steps(1/2 or 1/3 stop). It is in the custom setting menu.

Edit: oops, Lowell is a faster typer than me!
11-08-2007, 05:42 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You can also set a custom function to utilize one of the scroll wheels in conjunction with the OK button, to set ISO without going through the Fn menu.

11-08-2007, 06:04 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by roscot Quote
You can also set a custom function to utilize one of the scroll wheels in conjunction with the OK button, to set ISO without going through the Fn menu.
Which has the awesome side-effect of making it show up in the viewfinder all of the time.
11-08-2007, 06:10 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Ok, thanks for that I now how more than enough ISO choices. I guess after using a Konica Minolta 7D for a number of years you just get used to that setup. I'll have to read the manual more carefully. Thanks again.

Tim H
11-08-2007, 09:40 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by roscot Quote
And mattdm adds,

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
Which has the awesome side-effect of making it show up in the viewfinder all of the time.
Yeah, that's neat. But I have played with these settings a bit and find them confusing. I shoot mostly in M or TAv. I really like having the two e-dials control shutter (front) and aperture (back). The option to control ISO with an e-dial doesn't work (or make sense) in TAv, and doesn't work in M (where it would make sense, if the e-dials weren't already being used for something else).

Am I missing something? Roscot mentions using the "ok" button. What's the ok button got to do with anything here? I have the back e-dial set to control ISO in Tv mode. I don't have to touch the OK button to change the ISO, as far as I can tell.

Will

11-08-2007, 09:54 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WMBP Quote
And mattdm adds,
Yeah, that's neat. But I have played with these settings a bit and find them confusing. I shoot mostly in M or TAv. I really like having the two e-dials control shutter (front) and aperture (back). The option to control ISO with an e-dial doesn't work (or make sense) in TAv, and doesn't work in M (where it would make sense, if the e-dials weren't already being used for something else).
Yeah, it's a tip that's only useful in Av and Tv modes.

QuoteQuote:
Am I missing something? Roscot mentions using the "ok" button. What's the ok button got to do with anything here? I have the back e-dial set to control ISO in Tv mode. I don't have to touch the OK button to change the ISO, as far as I can tell.
On the K100D, the OK button can be configured to temporarily show ISO in the viewfinder. The K10D doesn't appear to have this option. (Why there isn't an option to just always show it is beyond me.) You can also make the OK button return the selected focus point to center. On the K10D, you can make the AF button do this, but I kind of wish one could do it with the OK button instead because it makes more intuitive sense (what with being in the center of the arrows and all).
11-08-2007, 09:55 AM   #9
Pentaxian

You can set the ISO by pressing and holding down the OK button while turning the front dial. The camera also displays the current ISO while pressing the OK button, both in the viewfinder and on the top display. It’s not in the manual as the function came in one of the early firmware updates. (This goes for the K10d)
11-08-2007, 10:26 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
On the K100D, the OK button can be configured to temporarily show ISO in the viewfinder. The K10D doesn't appear to have this option. (Why there isn't an option to just always show it is beyond me.)
Yes, I agree, that would be useful. One of the few user-interface foibles of the K10D.

Will
11-08-2007, 10:31 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
You can set the ISO by pressing and holding down the OK button while turning the front dial. The camera also displays the current ISO while pressing the OK button, both in the viewfinder and on the top display. It’s not in the manual as the function came in one of the early firmware updates. (This goes for the K10d)
Wow, great tip. Somehow I've missed that. Thanks!

Will
11-08-2007, 10:32 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Yes, I agree, that would be useful. One of the few user-interface foibles of the K10D.
The K10D has had that feature since day 1 (showing ISO with Ok button). And I just tried it with firmware 1.30 and it still works (and you can change the ISO with the front dial while Ok is pressed).
11-08-2007, 10:36 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Edit: Post removed. answers came in while I was typing.
11-08-2007, 10:50 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RBellavance Quote
The K10D has had that feature since day 1 (showing ISO with Ok button). And I just tried it with firmware 1.30 and it still works (and you can change the ISO with the front dial while Ok is pressed).
I was agreeing with Matt when he said: "Why there isn't an option to just always show it is beyond me."

It's good to know that I can punch the OK button to SEE the ISO, and can change it without going into the Fn screens. But Matt's right: it should be visible in the viewfinder all the time, or at least that should be an option.

Will
11-08-2007, 12:26 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I was agreeing with Matt when he said: "Why there isn't an option to just always show it is beyond me."

It's good to know that I can punch the OK button to SEE the ISO, and can change it without going into the Fn screens. But Matt's right: it should be visible in the viewfinder all the time, or at least that should be an option.

Will
If you have one of the e-dials set to control ISO, then the ISO will appear permanently...in place of the # of shots left! Is it too much to ask to have both?