Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-08-2007, 08:03 AM   #1

How to update firmware in K10D?

Will someone please go through the routine regarding how to update the firmware in the K10D?

Thanks,

FLASH

11-08-2007, 10:03 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FLASH Quote
Will someone please go through the routine regarding how to update the firmware in the K10D?
Detailed instructions are at

Pentax Imaging - Software & Firmaware Updates

They do work.

Is there anything specific that isn't clear?
11-08-2007, 05:29 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for the help...

Thank you for the reply and instructions. Don't see any problems with them at this time.

[COLOR="Red"]
~~~~~~~~~~~~[>FLASH~~~~~~~~~~>/COLOR]
11-08-2007, 05:54 PM   #4

I updated mine, a completely painless operation. Just read the readme carefully and make sure your battery is fully charged or use the AC adapter.

Cheers,

Phil

11-08-2007, 07:14 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I find it least painful if I leave the room for the two minutes while it's working rather than staring at the progress bar as it goes, hoping nothing goes wrong and bricks the camera.
11-08-2007, 08:00 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Thanks for posting this. I just updated mine from version 1.0. The ISO on the front dial in AV mode will be nice.
11-09-2007, 02:44 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisA Quote
Detailed instructions are at

Pentax Imaging - Software & Firmaware Updates

They do work.

Is there anything specific that isn't clear?
All new camera's seem to be delivered with revision 1.0.
I guess they still have a large stack of 1.0 burned chipsets in stock at Pentax.
Does Pentax do anything to notify new users? Do they put an instruction in their box with new camera's that new firmware releases are available?
Or do you have to find out by accident?

Perhaps that's why they do not sell K10D's + DA* 16-50 lenses as a kit over here.

I followed the instructions and was done with the upgrade in 2 minutes. Its very simple.

- Bert

11-09-2007, 06:06 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bymy141 Quote
All new camera's seem to be delivered with revision 1.0.
I guess they still have a large stack of 1.0 burned chipsets in stock at Pentax.
Another theory: they have too much already printed manuals K10D manual is written for 1.00 firmware, so if they would ship K10D with firmware 1.30 and old manual would contradict to how actually camera operates.
11-13-2007, 09:08 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I went through the firmware upgrade process yesterday for the GX-10 and thought of precautions to take before, that are not usually mentioned. The firmware upgrade has the potential to turn your camera into an expensive paperweight.

1. Verify the size of the bin file before upgrading to make sure it is complete. MD5 hash is the best method - note that neither Samsung nor Pentax provide a MD5 checksum, so you'll need to get it off someone that has succesfully upgraded. An alternative is to make sure the size of the file is as reported on the website.
2. Format the SD card in camera - this is to avoid issues with reading the bin file halfway through the upgrade process.
3. Battery fully charged, also connect AC adapter if you have it. This is to avoid power loss halfway through the upgrade.
4. No kids, babies or pets in the room.
5. Ensure that the bin file is the only one on the card, don't place in a folder, there should be no folders in the SD card. Remove the card a few times from the card reader and verify each time that the file is there and reports the same size. Use the "safely remove hardware" before ejecting SD card from card reader. Wait for any lights to stop flashing.
6. Use your most reliable SD card - no ebay cheapies please.
7. Before you start, have a think about the features the firrnware upgrade gives you or the bugs it fixes. Do you really really need the features or bug fixes? Don't upgrade the firmware until you really need to. Beware that each new firmware revision has the potential to introduce new bugs. I strongly advocate not running the latest firmware as soon as its released.
8. Place the camera on a level non slip surface to prevent it falling during the upgrade, and either knocking the power cable or the battery loose.
9. Stay and watch the progress of the upgrade, however nerve wracking this feels. If there is a problem with the upgrade you have a better chance of doing something about it, if you are there. You will also have to be able to describe any error messages to the camera technician if it goes pear shaped.
10. Follow the upgrade instructions to the letter. If you do not understand any part of the instructions, seek clarification before proceeding. Samsung has got excellent instructions at:
Samsung Digital Camera
Pentax's instructions are contained in a text file, but the procedure is identical to the Samsung.
12-14-2020, 03:56 AM   #10
Veteran Member

hi all

i may sound too outdated perhaps having got myself a perfectly clean like-new K10D only a few days ago ...

but that's another story! :-)

now, this is a question i have here, not a reply actually, so, i hope i'm not doing anything wrong!?

anyhoot, my K10D has firmware 1.00 on it ...

now, i want to upgrade to the latest / last firmware 1.31 ...

the instruction says,

"
5. "NOW LOADING" appears in the LCD monitor, and will change to the
"PROGRAM UPDATE". At the bottom of the LCD monitor,

CURRENT VERSION 1.00 / 1.10 / 1.11 / 1.20 / 1.30
UPDATE VERSION 1.31

will be displayed.

"

but after seeing the above, especially line 3, i am wondering, do i have to have upgraded to the previous upgrades already before going to the last one, ie, 1.31, or can i simply jump from 1.00 to 1.31 without harming the camera!

also, please note: the Ricoh/Pentax site provides only the 1.31 firmware upgrade! so, if i need to upgrade step by step from 1.00 to 1.10 to 1.11 and so on and then upgrade to 1.31, where can i find the previous upgrades?

of course, i'm thinking the jump is ok because latest upgrades should cover all the previous ones anyway, right?

please respond, many thanks!

:-)
12-14-2020, 01:11 PM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by penties rider Quote
also, please note: the Ricoh/Pentax site provides only the 1.31 firmware upgrade! so, if i need to upgrade step by step from 1.00 to 1.10 to 1.11 and so on and then upgrade to 1.31, where can i find the previous upgrades?
Updates are cumulative so you can skip anything in-between and go directly to v1.31. Note: v1.0 does not support SDHC so you will either need an SD card of 2GB or less or partition the card as MBR FAT32 with a primary 2GB or smaller partition.