Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-30-2011, 02:09 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
newbie with the k-x

hi all,
first post!!!,only had my k-x for a few weeks but very pleased seeing its my first go at any type of slr's,was at the british superbikes yesterday and got some great shots,any advice about the k-x would be helpful,one question i got is when i played the few movie clips i took with the camera they seemed to be really jerky on playback and i thought afterwards if it was me zooming in and out while shooting the vid,is that a no no when shooting video?.

05-30-2011, 05:32 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Welcome.
Be great to see some of those SuperBike shots and see what approach you used. Did you pan or try and freeze with a fast shutter speed? Post them up! Motorsport is my main passion.
05-30-2011, 12:08 PM   #3

Original Poster
some pics are in album
05-30-2011, 09:51 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Great crsip shots. With the way bikes lean over so much you can often see that something is happening even with fast shutter speeds.
With cars and fast shutter speeds it sometimes can look like the car is just parked on the track unless you pick a spot where they are bouncing off a curb or sliding out or lifting over a dip.
That can make it a mistake to use a fast shutter speed in some cases with motorsports. Experiment with a slower shutter speed and panning next time even if you get a lot of throwaways. That will blur the background and give the impression of speed as well as the action of the bike leaning over.

05-31-2011, 07:18 AM   #5

Original Poster
thanks,i'll give that a try,what sort of shutter speed should i be going down to?.
05-31-2011, 08:14 AM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by srandall47 Quote
thanks,i'll give that a try,what sort of shutter speed should i be going down to?.
Possibly about 1/750 to 1/500 to start Panning with but then try to go slower as you get better at panning. As low as you can go and still get the bike clear with the background blurred. Some say as low as 1/80 but I wouldn't be game.
A couple of quick references: Re: Not all motor racing is fast shutter speed...: Nikon SLR Lens Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
How to Pan In Motorsport Photography: A Technique For Showing Motion In A Still Photograph | Suite101.com
How to Photograph Motor Racing: 6 steps - wikiHow