Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-30-2011, 12:43 PM   #1

Help! Empty files from K-m

Several months ago I lost half a day of photos on a trip to the Galapagos. Everything seemed normal when taking the pictures -- they showed up normally on review and everything -- but at the end of the day I just got a "This image cannot be displayed" message. This was on a Lexar 4GB card, which I'd never used before, so I figured there was something wrong with the card (although my P&S was able to use the card just fine).

Then, yesterday, I had the same thing happen again. This time it was a Transcend card which I've been using for a while. And it only screwed up two photos, with subsequent photos turning out fine. Since I had access to my computer, I pulled the card and looked at it more closely, and noticed

Has anyone seen this? I searched around and haven't seen any reports like this. I did notice that the 1.11 firmware says "Improved stability of recording image for some SDHC Memory card" which sounds like it might be applicable, but this is such a sporadic problem that I'm not sure how I'd know whether it's fixed or not. (And it really sucks not trusting my camera to keep my photos!)

05-30-2011, 11:56 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The wording of your post seems to imply that you attached an image, but there is no image to view.

Did you format the card in your camera, or in your computer? You should always format new cards in camera.
05-31-2011, 08:27 AM   #3

Original Poster
Huh, looks like part of the post got eaten.

Anyway, when I looked at the card I noticed that one of the "undisplayable" images appeared fine, but the other one was 0 bytes. I don't know of any low-level flash card diagnostics, but a basic disk check appeared fine.

No attachment -- the image name and timestamp are normal, there's just nothing there.