Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-30-2011, 01:20 PM   #1

Camera cleaning inside

Hi all. I have a pentax k100d super and i do like this camera. I am no expert and don't know that much about them other than to take photos.

I recently have noticed what seem to be marks on some of my images and were getting a bit annoying. At first I thought, it were the lense, so I cleaned it with a bit of cotton cloth and breath. The marks were still there.

As i did not know what else to do, I did the same but inside the camara and tried to clean the flap with the mirror. I have also noticed now have dust inside my view finder.

I were wondering, what is the best way to clean inside the camera and have i done any damage to the inside workings do you think?

I still have a few marks but am worried I may cause more harm if i keep cleaning it the way I have. I also believe I need to clean the sensor. Is there a cheap and easy way to clean sensor to?

Any advice appreciated, Thanks

Attached Images

Last edited by Ducks; 06-03-2011 at 03:23 PM.
05-30-2011, 01:24 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Looks like a hair and several pieces of dust.

Get one of these and then blast the sensor with it, and the stuff should go away:
Amazon.com: Giottos AA1900 Rocket Air Blaster Large (Black): Camera & Photo

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-30-2011, 01:43 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks. I think some of the marks are well stuck, like maybe grease. Think i may need something to clean it with.
I can see something like that on the censor.

Not very good photo but that is the part i need to clean. Am i right in thinking, you can't clean the Sensor with a bit of damp cotton?
Attached Images

Last edited by Ducks; 06-03-2011 at 03:22 PM.
05-30-2011, 03:35 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Be EXTREMELY careful when attempting to clean the sensor. Like Adam said, The rocket blaster is the best thing, but if it won't budge the marks (possibly stuck dust or even worse something with some oil content) then there are the options for dry cleaning and wet cleaning. Both of these latter ways are dangerous since you can damage (i.e., scratch) the sensor.
JeffJS posted a thread once that contains a great wealth of information on the different ways to clean a sensor, which ones are best, etc. You can find that here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-camera-articles/121739-those-...ml#post1259109

05-30-2011, 04:13 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Use a rocket blower on the sensor. You can blow some air onto the viewfinder as well, but that dust is more resilient in my experience - on the other hand, it won't affect your shots, so you can ignore it. Also use your camera dust removal option to shake the sensor and remove the dust. This usually does it for me.

As for cleaning lenses, use a microfiber cloth, not cotton. Good luck!
06-03-2011, 03:16 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks for all the advice and that link to a lot of information on the subject.

I were going to get some swabs but they are very expensive. So I bought a cleaning kit off ebay.

The bits inside the viewfinder just seem to just get moved about when you blow inside of it. You also need to take the cover off to blow into the viewfinder.

I used the cleaning pen on the mirror but it leaves some purple streaks. So had to use the cloth again to clean it off.

My sensor did need a wet clean. Could not remove the dirt with just the brush.

Will see how i go.

Here is a photo of the cleaning kit. After i cleaned it.
Attached Images

06-03-2011, 04:06 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I usually send my cameras to this guy and his team for sensor cleaning. Great service. They usually throw in a buff and shine too.

06-04-2011, 07:20 AM   #8

Original Poster
This is really annoying me now. Just taken a picture of the sky as a light background and as you can see, still dirt.

It looks clean to me but can't seem to work our where this dirt is. I wonder if the dirt in the viewfinder is affecting it. Or maybe it's my lense.

Bet it will cost more than a new camera to get it professionally cleaned.

Here is the EXIF info if needed for the photo. Shows the lense i have.

Filename - IMGP2356.PEF
ImageWidth - 3040
ImageLength - 2024
BitsPerSample -
Compression - -32763 (Unknown)
PhotometricInterpretation - -32733
Make - PENTAX Corporation
Model - PENTAX K100D Super
StripOffset - 73728
Orientation - Top left
SamplesPerPixel - 1
RowsPerStrip - 2024
StripByteCount - 9229440
XResolution - 72
YResolution - 72
PlanarConfiguration - 1
ResolutionUnit - Inch
Software - K100D Super Ver 1.00
DateTime - 2011:06:04 15:07:07
ExifOffset - 342
ExposureTime - 1/1000 seconds
FNumber - 11.00
ExposureProgram - Normal program
ISOSpeedRatings - 200
DateTimeOriginal - 2011:06:04 15:07:07
DateTimeDigitized - 2011:06:04 15:07:07
ExposureBiasValue - 0.00
MeteringMode - Center weighted average
Flash - Flash not fired, compulsory flash mode
FocalLength - 200 mm
SensingMethod - One-chip color area sensor
FileSource - Other
SceneType - Other
CustomRendered - Normal process
ExposureMode - Auto
White Balance - Auto
FocalLengthIn35mmFilm - 300 mm
SceneCaptureType - Standard
Contrast - Normal
Saturation - Normal
Sharpness - Normal
SubjectDistanceRange - Distant view
Maker Note (Vendor): -
Mode - Auto
Quality - RAW
ISO - 200
White Balance - Auto
Lens Type - smc PENTAX-DA 50-200mm F4-5.6 ED
Thumbnail: -
Compression - 6 (JPG)
XResolution - 72
YResolution - 72
ResolutionUnit - Inch
JpegIFOffset - 65630
JpegIFByteCount - 1667

Attached Images

06-05-2011, 02:55 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Those marks still (to me) look like sensor crud. If they were lens dirt or dust, they would be more diffuse.

Sensor cleaning needs the right tools. A proper sensor clean need not be prohibitively expensive and you can do it yourself. About the best kit you can buy to do the job comes (no surprises here) from Pentax itself, and costs about $40:
39357 Pentax Image Sensor Cleaning Kit, O-ICK1

A video of how to use it is here:
06-05-2011, 04:02 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Those marks still (to me) look like sensor crud. If they were lens dirt or dust, they would be more diffuse.

Sensor cleaning needs the right tools. A proper sensor clean need not be prohibitively expensive and you can do it yourself. About the best kit you can buy to do the job comes (no surprises here) from Pentax itself, and costs about $40:
39357 Pentax Image Sensor Cleaning Kit, O-ICK1

A video of how to use it is here:
YouTube - ‪Pentax O-ICK1 Image Sensor Cleaning Kit‬‏
I second the suggestion to use the lollipop. Blow it out first then dab, dab, dab, etc.
06-05-2011, 04:42 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Another recommendation for the lollipop
06-06-2011, 03:13 PM   #12

Original Poster
Thanks for the lollipop suggestion. That is quite expensive and i would have to order it from the U.S or taiwan, as i'm in the UK.

I called pentax UK today and apparently they don't do that item. I was first told pentax don't make cleaning products for cameras.

I asked for who does pentax repairs and cleaning. I were given a number and place in the UK. Welcome to Johnsons Photopia

So i called them and for just a sensor clean, it will cost 50. I also need to get my USB port repaired. So it will cost me almost 190 for, a clean, and new board.

I have not made my mind up but i would rather pay a bit more for a professional sensor clean.

Other than that, it will be cheaper for me to buy a used k200d or k100d off ebay. Maybe even a new k-r.

Last edited by Ducks; 06-06-2011 at 03:26 PM.
06-06-2011, 03:30 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Expensive?? The pentax lollipop is available on ebay, that's where I got mine, $50 delivered.

There is no garantee that if you get it "professionally" cleaned that it will come back with a clean sensor. Mine didn't, it came back worse and this was after 2 attepmts by them, and I've read many stories smiilair to mine.

Even if you buy a brand new DSLR there is a reasonable chance there will be dust on the sensor.

Either way I think you need be self sufficient in this respect. It really is very easy even though it is a bit scary the first time.
01-03-2016, 08:34 AM   #14

I have a speck of dust showing in my viewfinder of my K50. I've tried using the dust removal feature several times, but it isn't helping. It's not showing on my pictures, it's just very annoying. Is it ok to wipe the camera mirror with a clean microfiber cloth?
01-04-2016, 03:09 PM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dad2josh Quote
I have a speck of dust showing in my viewfinder of my K50. I've tried using the dust removal feature several times, but it isn't helping. It's not showing on my pictures, it's just very annoying. Is it ok to wipe the camera mirror with a clean microfiber cloth?
You can clean the mirror -- VERY CAREFULLY -- but it's very likely those dust spots are on the focusing screen and not the mirror.

So, the mirror: it's front-side-silvered and that reflective coating is very delicate, so if you touch it with anything at all, make it something like a very soft brush or a scrupulously clean and previously unused microfiber cloth. And don't apply any pressure at all, really. Or preferably, just use an air bulb (like the rocket blower referenced upthread). Mostly, I would just leave the mirror alone unless there are giant dust bunnies stuck to it.

Focusing screen: you can take this out and clean it (instructions for removal/reinsertion can be found elsewhere), but even if you get the dust out of there, more will be back soon enough. Please be aware that the focusing screen is plastic and very easily scratched. If you touch it, your fingers will deposit skin oils that will be visible through the viewfinder. Again, my advice is to leave it alone if you can, or try the blower on the lower surface. If you want to clean it, be careful and wear gloves when removing/inserting the screen.

It's worth reiterating that dust in either area won't show up in your photos at all. It's simply not in the light path. Unless you have a truly severe and distracting infestation of focus screen duct, honestly, IMO it's better to just get used to it and/or use a blower.