Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-30-2011, 07:57 PM   #1
Senior Member




Join Date: Mar 2010
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 214
Would I be crazy to go from a K5 to a Canon 5D?

I shoot portraits and use off camera flash and I had the Kx, K7, and now the K5. I have a Pentax Tamron 28 - 75mm f2.8, Sigma 50-150mm f2.8, and a 50mm f1.4. I love the K5 but I can't seem to get over the fact that when I see images my brother in law takes with his 5D and 50mm 1.8 (a $125 lens brand new), I see a specific look to his images, almost like a film movie look. I saw a picture he took of me yesterday and straight out of camera on his screen the image had that look I like. I also like that he can get closer to get shallower depth of field by scooting up since there's no crop factor. The K5 is awesome and I love it but it seems the images don't have the look I'm referring to...maybe I'm crazy but I see it with his 5D and it's not the editing since I saw an image he took straight out of camera on his camera screen.

I would sell the K5 and lenses and would get a 5D (not Mark II) a Canon 50mm f1.4, a Tamron 17-50mm, and maybe a Tamron 70-200mm.

Let me know what you all think. Thanks.


Last edited by crossover37; 05-30-2011 at 08:18 PM.
05-30-2011, 08:04 PM   #2
Veteran Member
dgaies's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Maryland / Washington DC
Posts: 3,917
QuoteOriginally posted by crossover37 Quote
I shoot portraits and use off camera flash and I had the Kx, K7, and now the K5. I have a Pentax Tamron 28 - 75mm f2.8, Sigma 50-150mm f2.8, and a 50mm f1.4. I love the K5 but I can't seem to get over the fact that when I see images my brother in law takes with his 5D, I see a specific look to his images, almost like a film movie look. I saw a picture he took of me yesterday and straight out of camera on his screen the image had that look I like. I also like that he can get closer to get shallower depth of field by scooting up since there's no crop factor. The K5 is awesome and I love it but it seems the images don't have the look I'm referring to...maybe I'm crazy but I see it with his 5D and it's not the editing since I saw an image he took straight out of camera on his camera screen.

I would sell the K5 and lenses and would get a 5D (not Mark II) a Canon 50mm f1.4, a Tamron 17-50mm, and maybe a Tamron 70-200mm.

Let me know what you all think. Thanks.
Personally, I wouldn't do it. I bought a 5D a few months back to try out a 70-200/4L and while it's certainly a very capable camera, the K-5 outperforms it in just about every way.
05-30-2011, 08:13 PM   #3
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter
Ash's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Toowoomba, Queensland
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 23,289
K-5 to 5D Mk II - perhaps OK.
K-5 to 5D original - not so OK.

But hey, if you like what you see in the 5D, go for it.
I have seen 5D results that I can replicate reasonably well with the K-5 paired with FA limiteds.
05-30-2011, 08:22 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member
dgaies's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Maryland / Washington DC
Posts: 3,917
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
K-5 to 5D Mk II - perhaps OK.
K-5 to 5D original - not so OK.

But hey, if you like what you see in the 5D, go for it.
I have seen 5D results that I can replicate reasonably well with the K-5 paired with FA limiteds.
Certainly comparing the K-5 to the 5DMkII is a more fair comparison and would give me more pause for thought before jumping in with an answer of "no"

But like Ash says, if you like the results you see from the 5D and want to give it a shot, I say go for it as well. If it works out for you and you're happy, great. If not, no harm done and you can move on and try something different and/or continue on with Pentax. No harm in trying different gear (says the man who's spent the last 18 months trying every Pentax lens/body under the sun).

05-30-2011, 09:01 PM   #5
Senior Member




Join Date: Mar 2010
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 214
Original Poster
Can you give some reasons why not the 5D and why the Mark II is so much better in your view? Has anyone else noticed this look of the 5D or Mark II? Also, I found a 5D for $875 so not a bad price. Cheapest on eBay is $1250
05-30-2011, 09:04 PM   #6
Veteran Member




Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Bangalore
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,450
You will certainly see shallower DOF with 5D since it's a full frame body. It allows your brother in law to move closer, may be that's a reason you are seeing the difference.

May be you want to take your brother in laws camera and shoot yourself to see if there is a difference in shooting style.
05-30-2011, 09:07 PM   #7
Senior Member
metalmania's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 253
I found my K20D has a film-like IQ too. Anyway if you go 5D, I agree with Canon 50/1.4, but it would be better if you get a Canon 200mm f/2.8 (black color indeed) instead of Tammy 70-200. Just remembered Tammy 17-50 won't work.
05-31-2011, 02:17 AM   #8
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Budapest
Posts: 821
QuoteOriginally posted by crossover37 Quote
I love the K5 but I can't seem to get over the fact that when I see images my brother in law takes with his 5D and 50mm 1.8 (a $125 lens brand new)
Give your gear to your brother in law for a week or two and see what he comes up with. Maybe borrow his gear at the same time to see what you can come up with.

No offence, but the problem might be behind the viewfinder... and different gear won't change that.

05-31-2011, 02:26 AM   #9
Senior Member
Kim C's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Lincoln, UK
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 229
I remember someone once telling me it was the photographer not the equipment that took a picture.

I would agree with some of the other in this thread about trying your brothers Canon before making the decision. That will be far more productive than asking for advice. Ask any Canon user and he will say it is the only thing to do. Ask a Pentax fan and they will say the K5 is better.

Kim
05-31-2011, 02:29 AM   #10
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: GMT +10
Photos: Albums
Posts: 11,517
K-x K-7 K-5, and now wanting the 5D. Sigh. Folks who bounce around from camera to camera...

After a month with the 5D you'll probably want a D700 next because a friend had one and it took great photos with the Nikon 50mm 1.8. Then you'll want a Sony A900 because a friend had one and... etc. It's a vicious circle to always be chasing hardware as if simply getting better hardware will make your photos look better.

Having shot alongside guys with a 5D2 and a Nikon D700 recently, I can safely say that you could have probably have stuck with your K-x and gotten images equally as rich as any Canon 5D v1 or v2. The 5D2 guy's photos in particular were just horrible. (I had to do the post processing on about 100 of them. Ugh.)

Be more confident in yourself and your gear.
05-31-2011, 03:10 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Gladys, Virginia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 19,265
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
K-x K-7 K-5, and now wanting the 5D. Sigh. Folks who bounce around from camera to camera...

After a month with the 5D you'll probably want a D700 next because a friend had one and it took great photos with the Nikon 50mm 1.8. Then you'll want a Sony A900 because a friend had one and... etc. It's a vicious circle to always be chasing hardware as if simply getting better hardware will make your photos look better.

Having shot alongside guys with a 5D2 and a Nikon D700 recently, I can safely say that you could have probably have stuck with your K-x and gotten images equally as rich as any Canon 5D v1 or v2. The 5D2 guy's photos in particular were just horrible. (I had to do the post processing on about 100 of them. Ugh.)

Be more confident in yourself and your gear.

I agree. Work with the K5 for 6 months. Right now, it is not your gear that is restricting you, it is your desire for more gear. It is true that there is shallower depth of field with full frame, however, from what I have seen the original 5D would take a step back from the K5 with regard to auto focus, dynamic range and be roughly the same in high iso (banding pops up quicker with 5D).

You may well end up with a full frame camera, but it seems like you have been jumping from camera to camera too quickly. Just start shooting. Learn composition techniques. Don't buy anything at all for six months. Then sit down and carefully think about what you *need* in order to get better.
05-31-2011, 03:10 AM   #12
Veteran Member
Frogfish's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Shanghai
Posts: 4,490
QuoteOriginally posted by yusuf Quote
You will certainly see shallower DOF with 5D since it's a full frame body. It allows your brother in law to move closer, may be that's a reason you are seeing the difference.

May be you want to take your brother in laws camera and shoot yourself to see if there is a difference in shooting style.
That sounds like an idea
05-31-2011, 06:17 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Gladys, Virginia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 19,265
This somewhat humorous letter on the online photographer site would be interesting to read: The Online Photographer: Letter to George.
05-31-2011, 06:53 AM   #14
Pentaxian
reeftool's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Upstate New York
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 8,467
QuoteOriginally posted by simico Quote
Give your gear to your brother in law for a week or two and see what he comes up with. Maybe borrow his gear at the same time to see what you can come up with.

No offence, but the problem might be behind the viewfinder... and different gear won't change that.
A very good idea and you seem to have that opportunity. I spent an afternoon last winter with a couple of friends who were shooting FF Nikon and Canon cameras. We were taking mostly the same shots at the same time and place and our results were very similar. Rather than pixel peeping, we were sharing information and getting some pretty good stuff. The biggest difference we all noticed was the exposure differences between the metering of the different cameras, something easily corrected by changing a setting or two.
05-31-2011, 07:31 AM   #15
Veteran Member
Emacs's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Moscow
Posts: 1,223
Try it first. Personally I hate the feel of Canon bodies. But the IQ would be significantly better in general with 5D, of course.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
50mm, 5d, camera, dslr, f1.4, image, images, k5, look, photography, screen, tamron
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Switching to Canon 5D, advice needed on adapting Pentax lenses on canon camera hangu Photographic Technique 4 08-19-2010 09:09 PM
Canon Rumors-> Canon to buy MF company Winder Pentax News and Rumors 34 08-08-2010 03:58 PM
Non-Canon zoom lens on Canon DSLR, what's up? GerryL Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 21 06-26-2010 07:23 PM
Am I crazy? opianstate Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 34 10-12-2009 08:02 AM
Am I crazy ? Fred2726 Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 18 08-23-2009 08:25 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:12 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top