11-08-2007, 10:52 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
someone explain.
i dont want to start a new thread but
i am on the pentax photo gallery website
and i clicked refresh and now i see someone elses pictures
some were let in and some were declined how did that happen?

looked it up and it doesnt look so good(the lens)

OMG i am even in his bio and stuff this is really weird what is happening.
11-08-2007, 11:00 PM   #18
Veteran Member

I can't help you with the Pentax Gallery, but yes that lens should fit without any adapter.
Although I believe that it's a K-Mount, as in a full manual.
As a result you'll have to press menu on your camera.
go to the C(custom)
Scan down to Using aperture ring, and change the setting to 2

It won't effect anything else on your camera but you'll be able to use this lens

I believe that it's pretty much the same as this lens, possibly without the coated lenses.
11-08-2007, 11:05 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I read some bad things about the lens as in contrast and something
with a lack of a coating any comments.

Or any other lens more expensive than this.

I found 2 ? is this too good to be true?
Tamron | 28-80mm and 70-300mm Di LD Lens Kit | AF77017P | B&H

Last edited by NYpHoToGraphEr; 11-08-2007 at 11:23 PM. Reason: something came up
11-08-2007, 11:33 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by NYpHoToGraphEr Quote
Why is the normal pentax k100d not on the site anymore?
Pentax Imaging
The K100D Super is a K100D with the addition of SDM lens support and sensor shake cleaning (borrowed from the K10D). Even Pentax's SDM lenses will work on your model, because they include the drive shaft AF as well. Any and all accessories for the K100D Super will work just fine on your K100D. It may not be super, but a very well reviewed camera indeed. I ordered a K10D because I want all those buttons on the camera, not hidden away in the menus, and I like the weather proofing.

There was a recent article pointing out that 6 megapixels is more than enough for a magazine cover. Image quality was not a factor in my buying decision.

And to continue the Toyota comparison - my 2002 4x4 4.7l v8 Tundra Access Cab cannot hold a candle to the 2008 4x4 5.7l v8 Tundra MegaCrew. But I still like my truck.
11-09-2007, 02:01 AM   #21
Inactive Account

I was upset by this also. Pentax has a great camera in the K100D. For months I wanted to buy a K100D from B&H. Their price was the best around at just under $400.00 USD Pentax also had a $50.00 USD rebate taking the total price to $356.00 USD and shipping. So many times in the last few months I was ready to buy but something always came up to stop me from doing it. So when I was finally ready to pull the trigger they no longer had the K100D. They offered me the Super but it was about $149.00 USD higher. For What, dust collection and weather proofing? I didn't need that. OH and firmware for the new SS lenses. ( I got that in a firmware upgrade).
I was glad our forum has the Wanted to buy section. Because I posted there and found a member (ED Z in Philly) that would sell me what I wanted. Just the K100D body. I thank him every day whether he knows it or not, It's a great camera. Pentax should have learned this fact when they had the LX and K1000. Two of the longest selling cameras on the market. (and there is still a demand for the K1000)
But as we all know in this day and age You have to be able to compete. And that means remaking a product and if need be just change the suffix and a few minor changes to the product . Keeping a great seller and hoping for better sales with the new changes.
11-09-2007, 03:22 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Y'all ever looked at the new model rollover in the P&S cameras? By comparison the DSLR models hang around forever.
11-09-2007, 05:02 AM   #23
Veteran Member

someone explain.
i dont want to start a new thread but
i am on the pentax photo gallery website
and i clicked refresh and now i see someone elses pictures
some were let in and some were declined how did that happen?

looked it up and it doesnt look so good(the lens)

OMG i am even in his bio and stuff this is really weird what is happening.
You know, I think it's perfectly ok to start new threads for these other topics. You'll probably get more replies, in any case.

Just sayin'...

11-09-2007, 05:37 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Photo Tramp Quote
They offered me the Super but it was about $149.00 USD higher. For What, dust collection and weather proofing? I didn't need that. OH and firmware for the new SS lenses. ( I got that in a firmware upgrade).
Actually, the Super isn't weathersealed. And a firmware update wouldn't change how the older K100D interacts with SDM lenses, since it just plain doesn't have the interface necessary.

But you're right, the minimally-useful dust shake and the ability to control lenses that are better paired with the K10D don't seem worth $150 to me either.
11-09-2007, 05:42 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Don't bother with that two lens kit, the 28-80mm won't get you more than your kit lens (in terms of speed). The 70-300mm (from what I've read and seen) is decent, but SLOW. If you need reach and speed, you are going to have to start spending some serious cash. OR go for an old manual focus prime lens. That's just the way things are.

If you need speed, the FA 50mm 1/1.4 is probably your best bet. Sure, it's not as long as you'd like, but it's not too expensive.

If you have the cash (hey, didn't you just get a $600 gig shooting restaurants?) look into the DA* 50-135mm f/2.8.

I read some bad things about the lens as in contrast and something
with a lack of a coating any comments.

Or any other lens more expensive than this.

I found 2 ? is this too good to be true?
Tamron | 28-80mm and 70-300mm Di LD Lens Kit | AF77017P | B&H
11-09-2007, 06:20 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Hmm, actually, with the rebate, the K100D Super is as cheap or cheaper than the K100D. (Which probably couldn't have continued to have a rebate at its current price regardless of whether there was a new model.) So, I retract my complaint.

Basically, the K100D Super isn't really a new model but just the "second printing" of the K100D.
11-09-2007, 12:27 PM   #27
Veteran Member

It worries me...

No I have one lol
But I don't like when they discontinue things
It worries me because when a product is no longer produced support falls off. Even though there are issues with the K100D that can be fixed with a firmware release (for example, the auto ISO issue and the fact that remote assistant does not recognise the K100D) if Pentax no longer sell the camera there is no incentive for them to produce firmware updates.

After all, now you have invested in Pentax glass, you are unlikely to move to another make, are you? That means that you are a captive customer for a future Pentax camera.

Cynical? Yeas, but unfortunately that is how business works they make money from selling new products.

Richard
11-09-2007, 06:53 PM   #28

If you look Canon or Nikon,they replace the model of a maximum every 2 years,Pentax is the same and its normal to for digital,ecxept for Pro model,little bit longer.They upgrade this and that,work to get more perfection on this and that so at the end,they replace the model.The next 2 years,will see a K 1 or K1odx,k100x or a D400 nikon,50D canon,,,,,,what ever,its like that.