Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-25-2011, 05:56 AM   #16

Original Poster
Well, I'm back from my trip! All 4435.7km of it The K-r performed as good as could be expected, however it now "rattles". When I shake it, something in the camera shakes, and when I turn it from side to side, it sounds like something is moving about inside. I took the lens off, and nothing visible moves. The camera still works as advertised. Any ideas? I'm guessing the circuit board or something has been dislodged and is floating about in the case?

06-26-2011, 07:23 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by demuire Quote
Well, I'm back from my trip! All 4435.7km of it The K-r performed as good as could be expected, however it now "rattles". When I shake it, something in the camera shakes, and when I turn it from side to side, it sounds like something is moving about inside. I took the lens off, and nothing visible moves. The camera still works as advertised. Any ideas? I'm guessing the circuit board or something has been dislodged and is floating about in the case?
The SR system (sensor floating around inside) clunks when you tilt or shake the camera side to side parallel to the sensor plane. This is normal. It's more of a soft "clunk" not a loose rattle.

Didnt you notice this before? or..... is it very obviously rattly now?

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-technical-troubleshooting/94122-b...lr-camera.html

Last edited by steve1307; 06-26-2011 at 07:25 AM. Reason: link to sticky added
06-27-2011, 12:39 AM   #18

Original Poster
Hmm, that could be it. I can't say I ever noticed it before, but that doesn't mean it wasn't there. I definitely notice it a lot now, but that could well be just because I've now noticed it...

Fook.
06-27-2011, 10:47 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

...and the pictures from the trip...???
Come on, lets see 'em.

I'm just up the road from you....Boonah....so if your riding out this way, drop me a PM if you want to catch up and maybe get a second opinion on your rattling camera.
Cheers
Grant

06-28-2011, 08:12 AM   #20
Veteran Member

If you don't want a bag on your back, if you have bags that mount on your bike I would buy some bubble wrap (big bubbles type) and wrap the equipment in it that way you have a peace of mine about scratching/damaging it.

just an idea

cheer and have fun on the ride
06-28-2011, 10:18 PM   #21

Original Poster
Photos from the trip:

Photo Album | Planet FookStar

Photos either taken on my Pentax K-r, or my Olympus Tough or my iPhone

And, for those interested, ride report here:

Brisbane to Cairns - and back! | Planet FookStar
06-28-2011, 10:19 PM   #22

Original Poster
Grant: Yup, I'll let you know the next time I'm out Boonah way. I can't say I go out there often though!

05-17-2013, 10:40 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I just noticed that every Pentax camera manual has this phrase, both for SR and non-SR cameras:

QuoteQuote:
Do not subject the camera to strong vibrations, shocks, or pressure. Use a cushion to protect the camera from vibrations of motorcycles, automobiles, or ships.
I thought it was only for the Pentax SR (Shake Reduction) cameras with the loose sensor, which is why I use a K110D (non-SR) for trips.

Are SR cameras really ok for motorcycle trips, or should I stay with a solidly-mounted sensor camera?
05-17-2013, 01:15 PM   #24

QuoteOriginally posted by demuire Quote
Hi all,

I'm doing a big motorcycle road trip in a few weeks with a friend, and I plan on bringing my new Pentax K-r along. Ideally I'd like to put it in the tank bag (on top of the fuel tank) as it will be well protected, and will be easy to pull out to take photos. However, I'm unsure if the vibration will be an issue with all the moving parts etc?

The other option I can think of would be to put it in the top box or the panniers, but it will be less convenient to retrieve...

Any ideas?
i have carried my K20 (and the K10 before that and the *ist DL before that and a ZX-L before that) for many, many miles without incident. i do, however, carry them on the tank (not enough room) but instead strap my bag to the passenger seat. I have been on the road to Chaco Canyon so I can say with authority that a rough road did not damage anything. I was extra diligent about blowing out dust after that particular trip.
05-17-2013, 01:22 PM   #25
Pentaxian

My cameras ride along in my throw over saddlebags on my Harley. So far, no problems. They are inside another padded bag inside the saddlebag so I doubt they are picking up much vibration. A tank bag should be ok but I would keep the camera well padded.
05-19-2013, 09:24 AM   #26

I think a tankbag is the best solution. Gives you fast access to the camera and if you are riding on very bumpy roads you could wrap it in something. I normally have my raingear and extra gloves in the tankbag and that isolates from vibrations.
Attached Images