Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-23-2007, 05:56 AM   #76

Photos: Gallery
Hi Billy,
I have just gone through the process of buying my first DSLR, My last SLR was an olympus OM4Ti some time ago so I needed to do a lot of research to get back up to speed.

I found the Nikon D40? flimsey and no optical pentaprism, no VR or DR

The D80?
overpriced and underspecified with no VR or DR & the kit lens was very tacky

The Canon 400D? flimsey and no optical pentaprism ( my sight is not the best and I must have a clear bright finder)

The Sony? felt a bit strange and had no optical pentaprism just a cheapo pentamirror.

the Olympus? well I am not sure about their four thirds system and the possbile lack of aftermarket len's if you cannot afford Olympus glass.Plus it just did not feel right in my hand & and I think it had a cheapo pentamirror as the finder was not as good as I would have liked.

The K10D? When I first started looking I had honestly not even thought of Pentax! But a mate said I should consider one so I went to all the big stores and was greeted with blank looks at the mention of the name! Jessops had one but after 1 mornings research on the web I already knew more than the so called sales person!!!

I then went to my "local" camera shop R Gales in South Woodford East London which has been there for about 40 years to my knowledge! Not only did they have one, I got about 2 hours unbiased hands on comparisons with his other manufactureres stock I walked out with my new camera that afternoon!

Guys do not overlook your local store I paid 30 than Jessops price but got a two year guarentee rather than one year, and I now have access to a realy knowledgeable resource almost on my doorstep how much is that worth!

For me it was the simplest decision of my life in all the following areas this camera is best in class.
Build & Component Quality
Weather / Dust Proofing
Flexibilty of Use
Memory Type used
The supplied Kit Lens is simply the best available in it's class and there is plenty of alternative choice with Tamron, Sigma and others all making Pentax Fit Kit. (and of course you get VR on every lens!!)

Fully backward compatibility of the K mount system and I have already built a nice base outfit for next to nothing!!!

I have always enjoyed photography but never more than with my K10D I rarely go anywere without it now

Last edited by Nitro Fan; 11-23-2007 at 06:03 AM.
11-26-2007, 04:40 PM   #77
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Hi Nitro,
Thanks for chipping in!
The point about the viewfinder on the canon and Sony is a good one - I had a bad eye injury a couple of years ago so my spotting peeper has to be comfortable, which it wasn't in the Canon and I forgot to add the to my gripe list.
Personlly I found Jessops disappointing, and I don't know what I'm doing but found that their guys knew less than me, and that's saying something.
The important thing for me is the robustness, as my hobbies are outdoors so everything takes a beating.

Here's a question - the Samsung is the same as the Pentax, give or take a quibble, and the two kit lenses are the same size, but they have different makers' brands on them. Are the lenses really different or are they shipped from the same Far East factory and then stamped up?
11-26-2007, 05:26 PM   #78
Inactive Account

Hi Billy

No offence, but when you said that:
QuoteQuote:
Personally I found Jessops disappointing........but found that their guys knew less than me !
"Quelle suprise" as they say across Le Channel ! What did you expect ?

Regrettably anyone with 'half-a-brain' (which automatically accounts for about 99.9 % of the cretinous morons they employ !) could have told you that fact 'free of charge' !!!!

Now as for your last point:

QuoteQuote:
Here's a question - the Samsung is the same as the Pentax, give or take a quibble, and the two kit lenses are the same size, but they have different makers' brands on them. Are the lenses really different or are they shipped from the same Far East factory and then stamped up?
If you Google some reviews of the Pentax K10D
http://www.pentax.co.uk/images/products/photo/uk/K10D/K10D%20Rear%20web.jpg
and
Samsung GX-10
http://www.trustedreviews.com/images/article/inline/4386-SamsungGX10back.jpg
and carefully study the photos of each body respectively, you should notice that there are 'minor' but noticeable cosmetic differences between the two, especially pertaining to the rear layout and also with the graphic display of the rear LCD menus. Whichever you prefer is purely down to semantics, but I looked at both before finally settling on the K10D. As far as the cheaper kit lenses are concerned, I think it's a fairly safe bet that they are probably both coming off the same production line, although this is purely conjecture on my part, so please don't take that as gospel !

Best regards
Richard

Last edited by Confused; 11-26-2007 at 06:05 PM.
11-27-2007, 12:10 PM   #79

Looks like (I am not sure) the kit lenses are the same. Shneider never manufactured it's lenses in Vietnam. While mine IS manufactured there, where all Pentax's lenses are made. I guess this is just a strange marketing choice or something like that.

11-27-2007, 01:43 PM   #80
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Hi Richard,
Call me old fashioned but I expected the guys working in a camera shop to know about, well, errmm, cameras! Perhaps I have set my expectations too high?
Sadly, there's never anybody with half a brain around when you need one.

On the plus side, a mate has just returned from hooliday with a shiny Canon 40D.
Very impressive.
And another mate is going to Florida next month, so he's offered to bring one back for me - if I buy in dollars with the /$ exchange rate as it is currently that practially makes it free.
Very tempting...
12-03-2007, 05:43 PM   #81
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Well, I made my decision - Pentax v Canon v Olympus.
Solution - a PRS Custom 24 in Blue Matteo!!!
I should get it in two weeks or so, Christmas has never seemed so exciting!