Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-13-2007, 07:42 PM   #46
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Billy Quote
Well now you're talking my language...
My language too...

edit: I really think Miserere said it best in his last few paragraphs. You really don't know what you'll really really want/need at the onset. One thing you haven't mentiond (pardon if you did and I missed it) is your budget. That plays a important role. One thing I think is important for you also is to know if you will be shooting your child with a flash, or without. If you plan to use flash often, you're freer with your lens selection, and don't need as fast a lens; if your plans are without flash, you really have to buy a lens that has a max apertue of f/2.8 or wider; if you want a faster lens, then you're talking getting prime lenses, not zooms... So, it does make a difference.

A lot of people say to buy one prime, like a fast 50mm or a little wider, to really learn the craft. I won't disaggree. If you don't want to go that route though, I'll echo my recommendation before of what I think is the best 1st lens, the Tamron 28-75 f/2.8. It's getting loads of love. There's an active recent thread on it on here you should read.
heck, here it is https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/14794-slrgear-...ull-frame.html
It's ok at the wide end for landscape, not the best but it's fairly wide and will do pretty well for you. Super great walk-around lens & portrait lens. Very good a low light indoors. You can see what "LBA" [lens buying addition ] has caused me to do in my sig, mostly acquired within a few weeks for my trip, with the Voigtlander as the most recent addition.

Last edited by m8o; 11-13-2007 at 08:11 PM. Reason: added info regarding lenses
11-14-2007, 08:51 AM   #47
m8o
Veteran Member

m8o - just looked at some of your photos in your gallery - very impressive!
btw, in this regards... I don't know if you noticed, but these two galleries were shot exclusively with the lens I'm recommending:

a) as a testing / getting my feet wet session:
(its my 1st set of shot taken with the K10D + Tamron 28-75 f/2.8)
Testing - Pentax K10D - Tamron SP AF28-75mm F2.8 album | m8o | Fotki.com

b) the next weekend, as a learning session:
Father's Day 2007 album | m8o | Fotki.com
11-14-2007, 12:26 PM   #48
Inactive Account

Hi Billy

Re your kind offer:
QuoteQuote:
I'll make it up to you all if you ever need help with guitars or golf !
I once tried to play a round of golf with a Rickenbacker, but my handicap deteriorated alarmingly the further along the course I got and regrettably I kept taking even deeper divots out of the fairway each time I teed-off with the guitar.
When the greenskeeper eventually caught up with me, I was violently ejected from the premises and never found out the real reason why ? I distinctly remember that he didn't appear to have much sense of humour at the time, which might explain things !!!

Best regards.........FORE.........
Richard

P.S. My biggest 'handicap' is that I don't actually play golf !

Last edited by Confused; 11-14-2007 at 06:28 PM.
11-15-2007, 12:16 PM   #49
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Hi guys,
Thanks again for all your tips - would this make a good choice?
Amazon.com: Pentax DA 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 ED AL IF Lens for Pentax and Samsung Digital SLR Cameras: Electronics
So instead of getting the kit with an 18-50 lens and a 50-200 lens I just get this one and then I don't have to carry another lens around!
Does that sound like a good idea?

11-15-2007, 12:20 PM   #50
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Confused Quote
Hi Billy

Re your kind offer:

I once tried to play a round of golf with a Rickenbacker

Ah, I see the problem!
Ricks are great in the sand, but for teeing off you need a Strat

Not to go off topic too much, but a Rick is my favourite guitar of all the guitars I'm never going to get round to buying. I'd seriously love one, but its behind the PRS and a couple of others even though you must have one to play The Beatles
11-15-2007, 01:40 PM   #51
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hi guys,
Amazon.com: Pentax DA 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 ED AL IF Lens for Pentax and Samsung Digital SLR Cameras: Electronics
So instead of getting the kit with an 18-50 lens and a 50-200 lens I just get this one and then I don't have to carry another lens around!
Well, yes!

I've got the Tamron 18-250mm zoom and I'm very (!) happy with it.
The Pentax 18-250mm lens seems to be an OEM product, rebranding the Tamron as a Pentax.
You'll find many more people on this forum with the Tamron lens, because it has been around longer than the Pentax version.
If money is an issue, I'd look for the cheapest: Tamron or Pentax.

- Bert
11-15-2007, 05:50 PM   #52
Veteran Member

Hi guys,
Well, to put it in terms that you requested, this would be like buying an Epiphone Les Paul - it will do what beginners want and are capable of, but will inevitably be sold or shelved when they grow in the craft. Unfortunately there is no real way to tell what would be better from the start - do you go with a PRS or a vintage Telecaster? Especially when tastes are all over the spectrum, as yours sound.

So, my advice - Pentax has a bunch of interesting prime (single focal length) lenses and a huge used market. Oly has a bunch of interesting zooms and an exceptionally 'adaptable' mount if you wanted to enter the used market. If you're interested and dedicated enough, both will work - kind of like the beginner buying either a PRS or a Telecaster.

11-15-2007, 08:50 PM   #53
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bymy141 Quote
Well, yes!

I've got the Tamron 18-250mm zoom and I'm very (!) happy with it.
The Pentax 18-250mm lens seems to be an OEM product, rebranding the Tamron as a Pentax.
You'll find many more people on this forum with the Tamron lens, because it has been around longer than the Pentax version.
If money is an issue, I'd look for the cheapest: Tamron or Pentax.

- Bert
For me, at least, the key word in your post above is "seems".... the Pentax 18-250mm lens "seems" to be a (sic) rebranding of the Tamron as a Pentax. The truth is.. none of us know this for sure. We're speculating, plain and simple and until the actual Pentax makes its appearance so that we can test it or at least read reviews about it, we're whistling into the wind. For my part, I'm willing to wait for its arrival and then make my decision based upon the reviews.
11-16-2007, 04:07 AM   #54
Inactive Account

Hi Billy

Re your observation:
QuoteQuote:
Ricks are great in the sand, but for teeing off you need a Strat
Well that explains EVERYTHING. I always suspected that the salesman in the Clubhouse wasn't telling me the whole story !
I shall obviously have to have serious words with him......I wonder if they do refunds ?.......lol !

Best regards
Richard
11-16-2007, 04:41 AM   #55
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by carpents Quote
Well, to put it in terms that you requested, this would be like buying an Epiphone Les Paul - it will do what beginners want and are capable of, but will inevitably be sold or shelved when they grow in the craft.
I know what you mean there - I recently sold on my Ibanez Sabre and 100w Marshall for a US Deluxe Strat and Mesa Boogie.
Maybe I should just look at getting the kit lens to learn the basics and then look at additional lenses when I have more of an idea of what I'll be using it for?
Its a complicated business photography!
11-16-2007, 11:21 AM   #56
Veteran Member

I know what you mean there - I recently sold on my Ibanez Sabre and 100w Marshall for a US Deluxe Strat and Mesa Boogie.
Maybe I should just look at getting the kit lens to learn the basics and then look at additional lenses when I have more of an idea of what I'll be using it for?
Its a complicated business photography!
I have an Epiphone Les Paul Gothic (because it cost 75% less that the Gibson) and have yet to outgrow it.

But returning to photography. I bought the K10D with the kit 18-55mm and the 50-200mm; all those rebates lured me in. After having used them for 3 months, I am convinced that I should've bought the 18-250mm. What I may lose in IQ (not much from what I've seen and read), I gain back tenfold in convenience.

It's true that you'll probably end up selling whatever you get as you mature in the art, but in this respect I think an 18-250mm will sell more easily than the non-exceptional 18-55mm/50-200m combo.

I'd love a PRS, by the way.
11-16-2007, 04:51 PM   #57
Inactive Account

Hi again Miserere

When you said:

QuoteQuote:
I am convinced that I should've bought the 18-250mm.
It was just like one of those 'deja vu' moments.......

Ah, those wicked little 'rebates' lured you in alright, just as the marketing department fully intended..........................
hook, line & sinker matey.............and whilst you're cursing your luck for missing that elusive once-in-a-lifetime photo-opportunity, I just keep 'snapping away' like there's no tomorrow !!!
To be honest I've had my bellyful of the 'prime-lens' brigade banging on & on & on about the optical superiority of their blah blah blah......you get the picture.....oh no you didn't, you were swapping lenses over again, weren't you ? Sorry to rub it in !!!!!!
No doubt in due course I will investigate Pentax primes when funds permit, but right here, right now, for what I need on vacation the Tamron 18-250mm Di II does it all, with virtually no apparent compromises, except VERY occasionally in low light situations, but I always have my trusty Manfrotto tripod for those, don't I !!!

Best regards
Richard
11-16-2007, 06:22 PM   #58
Inactive Account

Hello, Billy trust your instincts if you are just getting started try the kit lens if it does not do what you would like it to you can go to your dealer or this forum and say I have tried this or that and it is not comeing out they way I would like what would you recommend? You will gain valuable advise and experiance at the same time by starting from square one and progressing from there, don't try and rush yourself, the lens you use will not make up for lack of practice or skill. The old sayings go practice make perfect and tools don't make the craftsman, Learn to use your new tools first then add to the tool box.
11-16-2007, 09:49 PM   #59
Veteran Member

Ah, those wicked little 'rebates' lured you in alright, just as the marketing department fully intended..........................
hook, line & sinker matey.............and whilst you're cursing your luck for missing that elusive once-in-a-lifetime photo-opportunity, I just keep 'snapping away' like there's no tomorrow !!!
[...] ......you get the picture.....oh no you didn't, you were swapping lenses over again, weren't you ? Sorry to rub it in !!!!!!
We are not going to be friends, you and I, if you keep this going

Damn rebates...
11-16-2007, 11:00 PM   #60
Veteran Member

Hi again Miserere

!
To be honest I've had my bellyful of the 'prime-lens' brigade banging on & on & on about the optical superiority of their blah blah blah......you get the picture.....oh no you didn't, you were swapping lenses over again, weren't you ? Sorry to rub it in !!!!!!
No doubt in due course I will investigate Pentax primes when funds permit, but right here, right now, for what I need on vacation the Tamron 18-250mm Di II does it all, with virtually no apparent compromises, except VERY occasionally in low light situations, but I always have my trusty Manfrotto tripod for those, don't I !!!

Best regards
Richard
You've nicely summed up my own feelings about the prime elitists. I know what I want... and I want a one-lens does practically all for our trips. I've owned systems before (slr days) and I know the aggravation of losing once in a lifetime images due to trying to change out lenses. I've also hefted a heavy bag of lenses and after years of this, decidedly turned away from photography.

As for the low-light picture opportunities, I intend to purchase one prime: the 50mm f1.4. That will fill things out nicely... it's inexpensive and it's small and light. Perfect for me.

All the best.