Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-03-2011, 10:23 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K10d /K7

Hi I own a Pentax K10d,I thought of buying a K20d to replace the K10d , now I've seen the K7 , although the K7 is a bit smaller ,would this be the best step for me,can someone give me some advice K20d/K7d, because new is not always the best way forward.

06-03-2011, 10:36 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Unless you would like to have the video feature, and a somewhat usable live-view mode, I'd say save yourself the couple hundred bucks and get the K20d. Same sensor, and you'll already feel at home with it. I just bought a used K20d from another forum member myself - it is a great camera!
06-03-2011, 11:28 AM   #3
Pentaxian

My idea is different. K10D -> K20D is not a worthwhile upgrade. K10D -> K7 or K5 is.

I think K20D is just a K10D + live view and some minor improvements.

Improvements in K7 over K10D and K20D: p-TTL exposure accuracy and consistency, menu user-friendliness, better ergonomics, sensor dust removal effectiveness.

K5 is better than K7 in terms of noise handling. But in spite of what some people say, I don't think K7 is bad in this respect. It's much better than K10D (and K20D).
06-03-2011, 11:42 AM   #4
Pentaxian

I own both a K10D and a K7. I passed on the K20D

every one's opinion will differ, and a big part of this is what else do you own,. The K10D and K20D share the same grip and batteries, which is a plus, the K7 and K5 also share the same batteries but the K10/20 battery is not compatible with the K5/7 and visa versa. This is a pain if you want to travel somewhat light but take 2 bodies, you need 2 different chargers.

The main reason I didn't get a K20 is that it came out litterally within 6-8 months of the K10D, and I couold not justify the upgrade. On top of that, the K10/20 is the worst metering camera with legacy lenses, of which I have a considerbale collection. The K7, while not perfect is much better. K7 also has greatly improved mattix metering (77 vs 11 metering points) better AF, better frame rate, higher shutter speed, etc......

A K7 /K5 would be a worthwhile upgrade over the K10, not so sure about K20. It did not make sense for me.

Note, I still shoot the K10, mostly with legacy lenses, which seems odd since it is the worst ever for metering.

06-03-2011, 01:20 PM   #5
Veteran Member

My thinking behind the K20 vs K7 is this - when it comes down to image quality, the K-7 offers virtually nothing over the K20d. The K20d, like the K-5, was an upgrade where it counts - the sensor. So, get a K20d for $450 instead of a K-7 for $650, and put that $200 in front of the camera mount (i.e., buy a lens). Option 3 - save your pennies, get a K-5. It will be worth the wait. Your pennies pile will grow, and the K-5 price will shrink. I would bet your pennies and the K-5 price won't take too long to meet!
06-03-2011, 01:52 PM   #6

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul Collins Quote
Hi I own a Pentax K10d,I thought of buying a K20d to replace the K10d , now I've seen the K7 , although the K7 is a bit smaller ,would this be the best step for me,can someone give me some advice K20d/K7d, because new is not always the best way forward.
I just got a K-7 from a member to replace my broken K-x. I think K-7 is a good camera. Right now I can see the price drop even further since K-5 got high praise and many people want to dump.

Never use K10D but based on the pictures I saw from K10D. I can see that K10D's CCD sensor is exceptional good for low ISO if you prefer the vivid color out of it. I first want to get a K10D from a member but deal fall out in the end. I still miss the K10D sometime. But I like K-7 cause is a better than my broken K-x.

As for suggestion, I'd go for K-7 since the price are going down. You can get a K-7 shipped between $500 ~ $600. K-7 have shortcoming of smaller dynamic range. So if you could wait then wait K-3 come out and get K-5 in around $600. I used several used bodies from Nikon D70 and current K-7. K-x was bought new. I don't feel any differences between new and used. Get one within 20k shutter counts. Don't get the body with very little clicks. Normally that's a sign of some problems with the body? Within 20k clicks is just like the break in period of car. So you just need to enjoy it.

Link of my K-7 test shots.
https://picasaweb.google.com/Benhai.Zhang/K7_test#
06-03-2011, 08:26 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I'd sure like to know where you can pick up a K7 between $500-600! $600 is minimum with a high shutter count, below that and the cameras I've seen have major cosmetic or some functionality issue. I also haven't really seen a dump of the K-7 following the K-5 coming to market.

On the point of waiting for a K-5 - yes the price will definitely decline, but I don't think it'll be in the $600 range for several years. The steady, but minimal decline of the K-5 retail prices has been far less than its' predecessors. After it is discontinued it'll likely sell in the $800-900 range. It started with a higher MSRP, and the used price will accordingly be higher for several years - this Pentax camera is simply put, worth that price. It is however worth the cost and the wait, if the OP has the time.
06-03-2011, 10:47 PM   #8

I just got mine from Ed several days ago. $600 shipped with about 12k shutter count. There are several K-7 at market place ask for about $600. There will be another one pop up to the market in 2 weeks I think that may fall in the same price range. The mileage might be different case by case. Keep your eye open, you'll find a suitable one. I don't think pentax will stop at K-5. Better pentax body will keep poping up. I think K-5 will follow the same trend as K10D, K20D and K-7. Otherwise we'll be less and less popular ^_^

Just my 2 cents

06-03-2011, 11:13 PM   #9
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Optimally, get the K-5 - a significant improvement on the things that matter.
Otherwise K-7 is the next best option - the autofocusing improvements alone are significant over the K20D.

Nevertheless the biggest gains in your still photography results will occur with better lenses. Thus, if you don't need video or fast low light focusing, then the K20D is as good as you'll need.
06-03-2011, 11:34 PM   #10
Forum Member

Can I just add one thing?K10/20/k7,picture quality can be argued about till the sun goes down,having owned the 20/7 and now 5 the big thing for me is how the improvements in af,iso and dr make it much easier to just get a quality picture in a wide variety of circumstance/this is why I am still on the body side of the body versus lens discussion, because I think the bodies are still catching up.Buy the latest body you can afford.
06-04-2011, 11:44 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I went from the K10D to K-7, surmising that skipping a generation would bring more innovation. I'm not into the specs so much as results and satisfaction. I've only had the K-7 for 5 months and I'm still on the learning curve. Truthfully I find the pictures that I delete are more often my fault rather than the camera. In fact I'd say I have more "keepers" now than with the 10D. While I'd love to have the low light capability of the K-5 I'm glad to have upgraded as far as my wallet allowed.
06-04-2011, 11:49 AM   #12
Veteran Member

You need to tell us what you are photographing otherwise it is hard for us to suggest which body will be better.

As I understand it, the K20D does have much improved autofocusing over the K10D, but also offers much better low-light, high-iso performance than the K-7.

The K-5 blows them all out of the water.

I was very tempted to find a K20D instead of my K-5. The K-7 never really interested me much.
06-10-2011, 07:19 PM   #13

I've just moved from the K100D to the K7 and first off, im blown away over how the body works, don't think words can discribe the improvements, just a pure joy to shoot with.

But, one thing im finding will take a bit of adjustment is the images that come from it, they have quite a different tone to that of the K100D's sensor, if anything they seem too viberate on the greens, have noticed that on Brite, Natural and viberent settings.
I am shooting jpeg I must admit, didnt realise 4gb memcards would be filled so quickly by a sensor so large, so have not really had a chance to try it with raw.

When it comes to jpeg shooting, what are the preferences for that ?
06-10-2011, 09:56 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I own both a K10D and a K7. I passed on the K20D
Did exactly the same.
06-10-2011, 10:03 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
The K20d, like the K-5, was an upgrade where it counts - the sensor.
The K-5 was a major sensor upgrade. Both K20D and K-7 were minor updates vs. K10D. In fact they even score lower overall on dxomark:

DxOMark - Compare sensors

Throw in the K-5 in that comparison and see what a real sensor upgrade looks like. Arguing about K20D vs K-7 sensor performance is splitting hairs - it's not worth the bother given the major improvements in the K-7 body.