Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
06-04-2011, 08:26 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Back in the day (later Triassic epoch) when photography was my job, neither SR nor AF existed. We held ourselves steady in blazing sun or sleeting snow, and we LIKED it! Or at least we suffered the inevitable. Damn weather...

Now, I still mostly don't use AF, but SR is ALWAYS ON! At least for handheld shots. Exceptions: When using old non-A-type zooms, or shooting macro, I'll likely exploit bright light, with appropriate shutter speeds, and SR switched off.

06-04-2011, 09:50 AM   #17
Veteran Member

I shoot at 300mm+ the great majority of the time, and SR is a proven performer for me, allowing a reliable 2 stops from the "rule of thumb" 1/FL for minimum shutter speed handheld. I'll occasionally push this to 3 stops, but this is rarely necessary any more with the ability to use higher ISO ranges with the K-5. I always use it when shooting unsupported, and though I've had some isolated instances where it seemed to make things worse, 99.9%+ of the time, it's a benefit for me.

Before the K20, I didn't find turning it off for tripod use made much of a difference, but this might be a function of more stable support from better tripods and heads than the camera body in use since I made some significant support upgrades at the same time. Now, I always turn it off when using a tripod.

Scott
06-04-2011, 10:01 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I either use self timer in camera OR Pentax Remote
06-04-2011, 10:19 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The attached is a 100% crop out of a K7 image. This was shot with an smc300/4 and smc-f 1.7 x AFTC (510mm equivalent ) hand held at 1/40 th of a second. You cannot say SR does not help

06-04-2011, 12:32 PM   #20

I find it works very effectively on my K-r. There's no way I could as sharp a shots otherwise (without a tripod).....esp. in lower light or relatively slower shutter speeds.
06-05-2011, 09:57 AM   #21

I find Pentax's SR beautiful for filming video:
06-05-2011, 10:22 AM   #22
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Yes always on with me (except with delayed remote tripod use, where it turns itself off), anything that gives me an edge I'm for.

06-07-2011, 03:25 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I personally have never seen a situation where SR made my photo worse, but I have seen lots and lots where it benefited me. Some people are steadier than others, but I think our expectations for sharpness have increased significantly since the film era (I wasn't a pixel peeper back then). SR definitely lets me shoot a couple of stops slower shutter speed than I could without it.

Shot at 50 mm 1/5 second with DA * 16-50. Any softness you see is from the dirty window at the zoo.
06-07-2011, 04:02 AM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by benhai Quote
The lesson I learned here is that SR take a little time to establish. After you half press the shutter you have to look for the little hand to appear and stable. Don't know why it can't work immediately. If you know to wait for the little hand then you can tell if SR really works. To me, SR does work very well on K-7.
Don't know how it works on each and every model. For me and my K200D SR also takes a little time to establish itself - but no longer than it takes to establish autofocus!

Most of the time I shoot manual focus, and that gives the SR even more time. And with my old Pentax & Tamron 100, 200, 300 and 350 mm MF lenses, the Pentax in-camera SR is truly something that I appreciate very, very much whenever light conditions are less than very bright!

So, as for most other participants in this thread, SR is almost always on for me. If I use tripod, I usually use the 2s timer and mirror lock-up, which turns the SR off automatically.
06-07-2011, 06:54 PM   #25
JHD
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Stone G. Quote
Don't know how it works on each and every model. For me and my K200D SR also takes a little time to establish itself - but no longer than it takes to establish autofocus!
Depends on the lens... My Sigma 50-150 always pulls focus before the SR sets on the K-7 and K-x.
06-07-2011, 09:11 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It is always on but at high shutter speeds and/or short focal lengths, I turn it off whenever I remember, or if I am panning or purposely attempting to introduce vertical shake for certain subjects.

And also as a general rule, I turn it off whenever I use a tripod.
06-07-2011, 09:45 PM   #27
Veteran Member

I am finding the Shake reduction is causing soft/blurred pics in some situations. I think it's due to taking the pic before the SR has stabilised. I've found some shots at fast shutter speeds and smaller apertures in good light are soft/blurred. It's definitely not down to wrong focus. The next shot at the same settings can be sharp as a sharp thing.
06-07-2011, 09:46 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by geekette Quote
Would appreciate some feedback from pro/experienced photographers who shoot with Pentax: Do you use shake reduction or not? I can't help but think it might add blurriness on some occasions or make the picture look worse.
See my post above. I am a finding this.
06-09-2011, 03:59 AM   #29
wll
Veteran Member

SR .... On

For me, SR is always on.

The ONLY time it is off is if my K20D is on a tripod or shooting flash.

wll
06-09-2011, 06:42 AM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I know it's probably a noobish question, but when shooting at higher shutter speeds - say 1/250 and above is SR really necessary? Does the camera not employ the SR at those speeds? It's probably in the manual, but I don't remember that being addressed.
There's probably no advantage to turning it off, but it's been bugging me a little - just knowing.