Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-04-2011, 02:17 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
New and used

Greeting, this is my first post on your great forums.

I will purchase my first DSLR very soon, probably a K7.

During the process I realized I'm more comfortable with used lens then used bodies. I interested in how you feel about that.

Additionally I think used bodies tend to be more money then I think they are worth. I've found several used K-7 in the 750 dollar range. I can buy a new one from AjRichards for 789! I've see some k7 selling for ~550 here, more like it but still doesn't give me warm fuzzies. What do you think?

Regards

06-04-2011, 03:34 PM   #2
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have the same feel as you do. I am confortable to buy used lenses direct, but I would prefer to buy an used body from a shop, where I could return it if the camera does not work.

This being said, the K-7 has been on of the best quality cameras manufactured from Pentax for the last few years. No issues with batteries as with the K-x, no mirror stain ike the K-7, no FF like the K-r and K-5.

I hope that the comment will help, and welcome to the -7 world. You will not be disappointed.
06-04-2011, 05:42 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I generally agree that used bodies are overpriced (except for the K10D I was selling for $225 shipped, that was a great deal ).

Kidding aside, I am perfectly happy to pay 80-90% of the new price for a used lens in excellent condition, but I would be more hesitant to do the same for a camera body (in general). That said, I have on occasion bought used bodies, but usually it's when they are too good a deal to pass up
06-04-2011, 06:01 PM   #4
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi and welcome.
Electronic equipment depreciates, but they are still capable of doing their job as a new one does. In that regard, their value shouldn't be expected to drop, certainly not greatly after only a few months of being superceded as the flagship camera. From its original RRP, the K-7 is now considerably cheap and certainly worth the money now (even so when it was first released). All depends on how much you value your photography and the tools that make it happen.

06-05-2011, 12:02 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
I hope that the comment will help, and welcome to the -7 world. You will not be disappointed.
hcc, your comments on both threads I started were very helpful. You raised a couple of points I had not considered. Thanks.
06-05-2011, 12:22 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
I am perfectly happy to pay 80-90% of the new price for a used lens in excellent condition
dgaies, spoken like a true lens seller!

Kidding aside I bought dgaies DA 18-250mm. I guess I pretty much have to get a Pentax body now.

I realize this isn't the sharpest lens or the best in low light, however I expect it to be a great walk around lens. I plan to use it for a while and see where I'm shooting, then look for some nice primes.

I like tack sharp as much as anyone but ATM I'm most interested in framing and composition. I have not shoot much for a long time so I'm trying to see somewhat like a camera again.

so sayeth the nut ball.
06-05-2011, 12:36 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by riff Quote
dgaies, spoken like a true lens seller!
Well, I guess I should have been more specific; I don't mind spending 80% of the new price for a used lens so long as I know that down the road someone else us is willing to pay 90%

06-05-2011, 12:40 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Hi and welcome.
Electronic equipment depreciates
Hi Ash,
Thanks for the warm welcome.

I don't think that new K5, K7 or KR at 1200, 800 and 550 are over priced. In many ways there isn't anything else like the K5 to even compare. That said if the K5 was 999 I'd have one.

I found used body prices generally higher then I though reasonable. For example I'm watching an auction for a K7 now, The camera looks a bit rough and not all the stuff is there. It's at 585 + 20 shipping with more then a day left. More then I'd pay already, I expect it will sell for ~700. New K7 is 789 now.

Anyway it's all good if and when it comes time for me to sell a body.
06-05-2011, 12:54 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
LOL dgaies, and no argument from me.
06-05-2011, 03:25 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Used body prices I think have been slightly overpriced. If I were to buy a new camera today, I would definitely go new and ignore used. The prices different between them is at most $200 for a K7 or Kx. And seeing that warranty for most of the world on these products are 1 year. I wouldn't risk it. The savings you'd get for a used isn't worth it. Unless the camera came with some sweet lenses. In which case I'd buy used and saved up for a new one a year later. But those lenses have to be some pretty nice ones for me to even consider it not basic kits or a cheapo af zoom.