Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-04-2011, 03:24 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
k7 vs kr, my thoughts atm

I'm purchasing my first DSLR. Started looking at Pentax, drifted to the Nikon D90, decided the D5100 was better, decided I like the D7000 more, decided if I'm spending that much I should just get the k5. Decided the K5 is out of my price comfort zone. Realized the KR is a great camera. It took some reading between the lines, great value and I think highly underrated by many. Almost bought one.

Looked at images rather then specs, realized the k7 is a great camera! I found generally K5 and K7 images looked better then the Nikons and the KR. Perhaps it is my bias, perhaps k5 and k7 users are better photographers. Perhaps the k5 and k7 are better cameras. I don't know.

I live in the boreal forest, I kayak, wet conditions, rain, snow and extreme cold are common. (we have a couple nice days too I'm mostly an outdoor shooter.

At the moment the k7 is in first place. I think the weather sealing and controls are worth the extra cost. I'm thinking the k7 ISO "problem" is not really a problem at all? It seems pretty comparable to other cameras of that generation. Isn't the k5 iso "problem" only a generation away? Regardless I'd rather loose a few shots to low light then the body to weather. RAW and PP are ok with me.

If I continue with this I know I will buy a k5. k7 would be a backup and the k5 should feel like an old friend from day one.

Prices I find for bodies today are
K5 - $1200
K7 - $800
KR - $550

FWIW I still have a K1000 with 28, 50 and 135mm lenses.

Am I one the right track or is it time to give my head a shake. Thanks for reading.

Regards

06-04-2011, 03:40 PM - 1 Like   #2
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Since you shoot outdoor, you want WR and this leaves you with 2 options only: K-7 and K-5.

I shoot outdoor primarily and I have used extensively my K-7 in foul weathers. The K-7 is really a very nice camera, with outstanding handling and design, metallic body (very sturdy), WR, excellent viewfinder, very good continous shooting capability (5.2 fps and big buffer). These qualities are still today outstanding: this why the K-5 re-uses these from the K-7.

I love the K-7's dual dial controls, there are many controls, ... the list is long. All in all you cannot be disappointed by the K-7.

The only weakness of the K-7 is the low-light. But it is easy to overcome this with some fast lenses. I have three fast primes (2 f1.4 and 1 f1.8) and I am getting some excellent results during dawn and dusk. MF lenses are an excellent choice for low light and work nicely with the K-7 focus confirmation.

Unless you have the funds for a K-5, consider the K-7 as your best choice and some good quality lenses. A lens is an investment that you will never regret... and a lens is worth every penny. (You get what you pay for.)

I hope that the comments will help....

Last edited by hcc; 06-04-2011 at 05:19 PM.
06-04-2011, 04:10 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Get the K7, more money to spend on lenses which hold their value better.
I started with the K7 and it is an excellent camera to learn on with its two edials and better viewfinder, I have a Kx (similar to KR) aswell and I find with the higher ISO I get lazy with holding camera steady and thinking about the shot which is important when starting out. My 2c
06-04-2011, 05:06 PM   #4
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

You also have the option of going with the even cheaper K20D, which essentially has the same sensor as the K-7, but lacks video and some finer controls that depending on your needs you may not necessarily need. It is a very decent build and is also weather sealed. Then that leaves you with more funds to save up towards the K-5.

06-04-2011, 05:52 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies everyone.

Ash you remind me that I didn't mention video, short answer... I don't care.

Regards
06-04-2011, 06:01 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I just moved from a K20 to a K7. Both are stunning cameras
The only thing I'll point out is that the K7 is noticeably lighter - which may be a factor is what you do.
However I do agree - Video? meh.
06-04-2011, 06:04 PM   #7
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Then go with the K20D. Solid camera, but I also didn't mention perhaps something that is important - low light focusing. The K-7 is better at it, and definitely so when you don't have a flash mounted on the camera. The K-7 has LED light AF assist whereas the K20D doesn't. The K-7 also focuses and locks focus faster than the K20D.
06-05-2011, 01:26 AM   #8
Kai

Where would you find k20 new if that is important to the OP. It may be easier to buy k7 new and put money toward a good wr lens.

06-05-2011, 02:17 AM   #9
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
If I were you I'd get the K-7. The weather sealing is a must because of the weather conditions you've described. K-7 is significantly cheaper than K-5 offering the same body (but worse sensor). However, the K-5's price will go down, K-7's won't. Save the rest of the money and get some limited lens.
06-05-2011, 01:26 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
hcc, articulate, concise and very helpful.

tonto, I just bought a lens! I guess you are right.

lurch, light weight is good I hike and I missed the weight difference.

ash, low light focus and fast lock are important to me.

freddykrueger, that's pretty much what I'm thinking.

Stunning images on your flickr sites ash and freddy

Thanks to all for posting.

Regards