Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-10-2007, 08:49 AM   #1

Wireless Remote Suggestion

I've been curious about wireless remotes. I think I'll want one when I go on trips with my fiancee so we can take shots of ourselves or if I ever want to experiment with self portraits. I currently have a K100D Super and was wondering if someone could suggest an affordable solution for a relatively new person to DSLRs. Thanks.

11-10-2007, 08:58 AM   #2
Veteran Member

GadgetInfinity.com

Gadget Infinity :: Digital Camera :: Wireless Shutter :: Wireless Shutter Release

Works fine on its own. Does not work in tandem with their wireless flash triggers, but that's normally not a problem. For $30, mine works alright. Haven't tried to determine their range, but they do work at 50 feet or so. They are a little plasticky, but they work. Don't forget to unwrap the batteries from the thin film wrapping them. That's a common mistake that yours truly fell into.

The text says its for Canon, but if you look at the fine print, it lists Pentax models.
11-10-2007, 09:01 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for the quick reply.
11-10-2007, 09:24 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Hi synnyster

When you said:
"I've been curious about wireless remotes. I think I'll want one when I go on trips with my fiancee so we can take shots of ourselves".
Just so we're talking about the same thing, when you mentioned wireless remotes, I assume that you were referring to taking shots of yourselves and not about remotely 'triggering' flashguns, which is a slightly different matter ? If the former of these options is the case, please have a look at the following link, which should hopefully be of some interest ?

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/107971-post22.html

Best regards
Richard

11-10-2007, 09:26 AM   #5

Original Poster
You are correct, I was referring to just being able to take shots of myself with the camera on a tripod.
11-10-2007, 09:38 AM   #6

Photos: Gallery
I have the Pentax Remote F that I bought with my K10d. It works within 5m of the front or back of the camera. I have used it several times without problems.

Jeff
11-10-2007, 10:16 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I've got the Pentax remote as well, but often wish that I had something else.
For 2 reasons.

The range is just too limited for what I'm often doing. They should have at least made it's range so it could cross the road.

It's size. I lost it once, for over a month
It was where it should have been, bust slipped behind some business cards.
11-10-2007, 10:43 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Hi Stu (little laker)

When you said: "I've got the Pentax remote as well, but often wish that I had something else. For 2 reasons. The range is just too limited for what I'm often doing".

Which is precisely the reason that I selected the Yong Nuo remote (described in my previous post above) which does a great deal more that Pentax's Remote F ever can.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/84720-post29.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/84728-post30.html

Yeah, the Remote F fit's neatly into the D BG-2 grip (assuming that you've bought one), but that's about it's only advantage.
The Yong Nuo not only operates over a claimed range of about 100 metres (roughly 330') , but it has 16 alternative frequencies to choose from in the unlikely event of radio interference !!! Plus you don't have to keep your finger permanently on the button in order to keep the shutter open when using Bulb mode, which you DO need to do with the Remote F.
The Remote F is adequate, but IMHO the Yong Nuo is not only cheaper but simply WAY better !! Just my 2-cents worth........

Best regards
Richard

Last edited by Confused; 11-10-2007 at 10:53 AM.
11-10-2007, 11:14 AM   #9

Pentax remote F

While stopping by my local dealer I noticed they had remote F for 10E, so I grabed one.
I think it is great, because of its size (mostly smaller than nonames from eb**). I can take it anywhere in my small kit. I use it mostly with the camera down on a table or on a tripod.
I not not really use it a lot for self portraits but did not see any real limitation ...
It is small (good when traveling), cheap and it achieves pretty well what it is done for.
You might afterwards be interested in using it as a trigger when the camera is on a tripod.
An other solution might be to read over the net, some users succeeded to use a multi-device remote for TV, camcorders ... some old pentax/samsung codes might work. I did not test myself, but if you already got this kind of remote, it will be a cheap solution.
11-10-2007, 03:42 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For a really cheap one check this out.

Plus you can set your camera either to focus before shooting, or not to.
11-10-2007, 04:21 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Just ordered a very cheap one from Ebay - I let you know how I get on when it arrives

simon
11-10-2007, 07:26 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Man, I'm with Stu on this one for the exact same reasons as his. The F is alright but it's to expensive, especially for it's limited range. It's fine if I'm working with my lightbox here in the house, with the camera on a tripod, but outside it's limited. I'm gonna check out your solution, Confused.
11-11-2007, 06:58 PM   #13
Inactive Account

Hi Eaglerapids

QuoteQuote:
I'm gonna check out your solution, Confused.
Happy to be of service. If my experience is anything to go by, I feel sure you won't be disappointed by this invaluable little
device !

Best regards
Richard
11-11-2007, 09:08 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
GE Universal Remote Control - GE Universal Remotes - Jasco Products Company this one works, and is pretty inexpensive, used the "search code function on it until the shutter fired, saved that code, and it works well
11-11-2007, 09:24 PM   #15
and
Site Supporter

Ive got the F as well, keeping it in my grip. Its nice that it fits in the grip and you can allways have it with you. the k10d also has a sensor on the back for the remote so it works from behind. But as others have said the range is really terrible, most of the time I need to use the 2 second delay and then step a bit closer to the camera so the remote gets in range and quickly jump back. Also, even when I am close, if I have a large lens on the camera and I am standing to the camera's left then the lens is blocking the IR receiver and it doesnt work, so it can be quite frustrating. Well I have been thinking about getting Pocket Wizards for my flashes and since these can trigger the camera as well then I guess that is what I will be doing. But for just triggering camera for self-portraits then this is a very overpriced solution as the run for about 179 dollars each.