Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-05-2011, 02:16 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Trade in K10D for KX or KR?

Hi.

Had K10D for a while now, and love it, it's so easy to use. However, I am getting frustrated by it's lack of low light ability and dynamic range.

I like have two e-dials, and the top LCD, plus I have a Katzeye, and I appreciate the nice bright pentaprism.

People with experience of both, please tell me. Is the picture quality of the newer cameras sufficiently improved to make it worth losing the extra features of the K10D?

Cheers...

06-05-2011, 03:15 PM   #2

Photos: Albums
I myself have not owned both, but I own the k-x right now, and I go through Lithium AA batteries pretty fast, and rechargeable AA even faster. One of the improvements you would see going from the k10d to k-x is faster AF perhaps, but being able to use a Li-Ion battery pack or AA batteries on the K-r is a nice feature.
06-05-2011, 03:15 PM   #3

I've never tried a K10D but I've owned a K-x for a year or so and recently purchased a K-r,

a quick comparision of both in low-light/night time photography shows that my K-x is slightly
more sensitive (gets same results at ISO 560 than the K-r at ISO 800)
but the K-r has much less 'noise' in dark areas at the same ISO settings than the K-x.

Michel
06-05-2011, 03:18 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Not sure about the K10D or the KR but from my experience with my cousin's Kx it definately better at high ISO vs my Km. And I would hazard to guess that the K10D my only be marginally better than the Km in high ISO if at all different. At any ISO past 800 there is a lot of noise on my Km. While even at ISO1600 for the Kx the noise in my opinion is acceptable. That not a precise measurement but I know high ISO have been a strong suit of the Kx and same with the Kr.

06-05-2011, 03:59 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I don't know how anyone can decide on your behalf whether the improvement is worth the trade off for you.

Second hand K-x's are very cheap now, maybe you could buy one and keep your K10 so you can decide for yourself, and even keep both?
06-05-2011, 04:25 PM   #6

I own a GX10 (K10d clone) and a k-x. the most important differences for me are:

Pro K10d:
- more external controls (specially missed the 2 wheel on the k-x)
- superb results at ISO 100-200, even for todays standard (this my subjective impression)
- Weather resistance
- TAv mode
- focus confirmation in viewfinder
- better battery life (rechargeable AA drain pretty fast on the k-x)

Pro k-x:
- better high iso performance (arround 2-3 stops)
- more dynamic range and low shadow noise (this gives you allot more capability in raw post processing)
- lighter and significantly smaller. specially with a small lens attached (Size sometimes does matter to me)
- Live view (very usefull to set exposure and focus with manual lenses)

The lists could be extended of course.
At the moment I only use the k-x. Mainly because I appreciate the increased dynamic range.
I would say if you know to control aperture and shutter speed on the K10d with the two wheels you can compensate a part of the missing high iso performance. On the k-x/k-r it's more complicated to control all parameters for exposure.

Last edited by kolleiro; 06-05-2011 at 04:39 PM.
06-05-2011, 05:24 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
I don't know how anyone can decide on your behalf whether the improvement is worth the trade off for you.

Second hand K-x's are very cheap now, maybe you could buy one and keep your K10 so you can decide for yourself, and even keep both?
Having two DSLRs is not an option for me - I am a student. If I did suddenly come across spare cash I would spend it on lenses...

No one can decide for me of course, but they can give me useful advice, as kolleiro has done. You use a K-x and I really like your pictures. You got any advice?

Thanks for your input kolleiro, a couple of points there hadn't occurred to me. I wasn't aware that live view was helpful with manual lenses. Another thing worrying me is losing the DoF preview function on the K10D. Do you find you miss it much on the K-x?
06-05-2011, 05:33 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jeztastic Quote
No one can decide for me of course, but they can give me useful advice, as kolleiro has done. You use a K-x and I really like your pictures. You got any advice?
Thanks. Between a K10D & a K-x I'd take the K-x simply due to the better DR & IQ, I'd work around the shortcomings of ergonomics. The results from the K-x will be better all things being equal. But are you more a "process" photographer or a "results" photographer. I'm a bit of both but mainly "results". I'd imagine if I was more interested in photography for just the "process" of taking photos and didn't care as much about the results I'd keep the K10D. But then you could always get a $30 film SLR for your occasional "process" hit

06-05-2011, 07:47 PM   #9

I also shoot with a K10D and am frustrated with the low ISO range. I do like the WR feature as I like to shoot in wet conditions. For me upgrading to the K5 is the only way to go. For you on a student budget that will be awhile yet. I would suggest looking into the K7. It will be a little more than the Kx or Kr but will retain the extra controls you have gotten use to. It is a compromise and ultimately you will have to decide.
06-05-2011, 11:57 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kolleiro Quote
I own a GX10 (K10d clone) and a k-x. the most important differences for me are:

Pro K10d:
- more external controls (specially missed the 2 wheel on the k-x)
- superb results at ISO 100-200, even for todays standard (this my subjective impression)
- Weather resistance
- TAv mode
- focus confirmation in viewfinder
- better battery life (rechargeable AA drain pretty fast on the k-x)

Pro k-x:
- better high iso performance (arround 2-3 stops)
- more dynamic range and low shadow noise (this gives you allot more capability in raw post processing)
- lighter and significantly smaller. specially with a small lens attached (Size sometimes does matter to me)
- Live view (very usefull to set exposure and focus with manual lenses)

The lists could be extended of course.
At the moment I only use the k-x. Mainly because I appreciate the increased dynamic range.
I would say if you know to control aperture and shutter speed on the K10d with the two wheels you can compensate a part of the missing high iso performance. On the k-x/k-r it's more complicated to control all parameters for exposure.
Being both a kx and K10D owner.
I have to agree everything here.

One more thing for the K10D, it has a bigger viewfinder.
06-06-2011, 12:00 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Kx is my first DSLR and I use it way more.
Then, I got K10D. I would like to have it as a backup.
I will use the K10D when it is raining or I need to use two lens in an event.
06-06-2011, 12:03 AM   #12
Pentaxian

To answer your question, the picture quality aren't too much different IMO.
However, some people prefers CCD over CMOS.
I do think the CCD from K10D has better tone on Red.

It does have a BIG different in ISO performance starting from 800.
06-06-2011, 12:10 AM   #13
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by jeztastic Quote
Hi.

Had K10D for a while now, and love it, it's so easy to use. However, I am getting frustrated by it's lack of low light ability and dynamic range.

I like have two e-dials, and the top LCD, plus I have a Katzeye, and I appreciate the nice bright pentaprism.

People with experience of both, please tell me. Is the picture quality of the newer cameras sufficiently improved to make it worth losing the extra features of the K10D?

Cheers...
Coming from Pentax's prosumer lineup, I wouldn't switch to a K-x/K-r as the limited external controls, smaller VF and smaller construction would be more burdensome than the k10'd (arguably) worse image quality.

I recommend you sit tight for now, or look into a used k-5 for the future.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-06-2011, 12:43 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Although I may agree with above advice for professional use, I beg to differ for casual use. Personally I would go with IQ than the external control. For me, most of the time my mode dial is on Av, AF on AF-S and the only controls I use are to change aperture and to fire the shot. Changing ISO or brackeing mode or flash is easily accessible from 4 way switch. What more external control needed for casual use?
06-06-2011, 02:01 AM   #15
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

A student on a budget might consider a K20D if not shooting above ISO 1600, or sacrifice the ergonomics and customisation of flagship models by going with the K-x or K-r. The K-x will be cheaper, but the advantages of the K-r are many, but most practically the LED light AF assist, the illuminated AF points in the viewfinder, the high ISO performance (very good to ISO 3200 at least) and camera responsiveness (also has a high continuous frame rate).