Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-07-2011, 04:57 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Well, I was a happy K-m owner for ~1.5 year and upgraded to K-5 last year (I was one of the first adopters in my country). I loved the K-m and I still think it was a nice and capable camera. But the K-5 offered and offers very nice improvements for me in
  • dynamic range - no more bracketing, just meter for highlights and can pull the shadows later without worrying about noise / IQ degradation
  • high ISO performance (I shoot a lot in low light where flash isn't always an option)
  • AF - AF-S seems to be noticeably faster and much less hesitant in locking, AF-C is miles better
  • handling - a subjective thing, but K-5 fits my hand better, I'm about to order a grip to make portrait shooting even more comfortable; more external controls -> less menu diving; USER modes -> very handy for me
  • better rear LCD - not a big deal, but a nice improvement for checking photos

I thought K-5 would be too much for hobby snapshooter like me and wouldn't be able to justify purchasing it, but I knew I would lust for it. I'm glad I made the decision to purchase K-5.

06-08-2011, 01:02 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Original poster here again. You've given me a lot of fuel for thought. When it comes down to it, I really don't want a bigger, heavier camera. I think I'll wait until a newer version of the smaller cameras comes out. I'm totally, happily amateur so don't really need a "real" camera tempting as it is. If anyone would like to see some of the photos I've taken with my K2000, you can see my PPG page here: PENTAX Photo Gallery
06-08-2011, 01:21 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sealonsf Quote
Original poster here again. You've given me a lot of fuel for thought. When it comes down to it, I really don't want a bigger, heavier camera. I think I'll wait until a newer version of the smaller cameras comes out. I'm totally, happily amateur so don't really need a "real" camera tempting as it is. If anyone would like to see some of the photos I've taken with my K2000, you can see my PPG page here: PENTAX Photo Gallery
Wonderful gallery, Lynda, you've got some real beauties in there. I especially liked the 2 of the dog in Greece. BTW, my wife feels the same way about her K2000. I tried to get her to take over my K7 when I got my K5, but she wouldn't even consider it. She loves the size and weight of that little thing, and as I said, she can get some real stunners out of it, as can you!
06-08-2011, 01:26 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sealonsf Quote
Original poster here again. You've given me a lot of fuel for thought. When it comes down to it, I really don't want a bigger, heavier camera. I think I'll wait until a newer version of the smaller cameras comes out.
I'm sure you've read the posts - but just so you hadn't somehow missed it - the K-x is the newer version of the same small camera - since the K-x is actually based on the same body as the K2000/K-m.

The K-x performance matches that of the newer K-r and in some ways matches the K-5 especially for low light HighISO - K-x AF is also on par with the K-r/K-5 from the tests at PopPhoto.com where they actually test at different light levels.

06-08-2011, 03:20 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UnknownVT Quote
I'm sure you've read the posts - but just so you hadn't somehow missed it - the K-x is the newer version of the same small camera - since the K-x is actually based on the same body as the K2000/K-m.

The K-x performance matches that of the newer K-r and in some ways matches the K-5 especially for low light HighISO - K-x AF is also on par with the K-r/K-5 from the tests at PopPhoto.com where they actually test at different light levels.
Yes, I looked at the K-x when it came out but decided it wasn't enough of an improvement over my camera.
06-08-2011, 04:14 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think the K-x is a bigger step up from the K2000 (IQ & features) than anything at that price is likely to be over the K-x for quite some time to come.
06-08-2011, 05:05 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
I think the K-x is a bigger step up from the K2000 (IQ & features) than anything at that price is likely to be over the K-x for quite some time to come.
Hmm... thanks for the tip.