Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-05-2011, 05:24 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K2000 (Km) vs. K5

I'm trying to determine if it's time for me to upgrade my camera.

Would love to hear from someone who owns or has used a K2000 (Km) and the K5. The K5 is expensive so I don't know if it's worth spending the money.

What I specifically want to know is if the focusing with the K5 is significantly better than with the K2000.

I've loved my K2000 but it can really hunt sometimes and has just a few focus points. I like to take photos of wildlife so fast focusing would be great.

Just beginning the thought process and watching for the price of the K5 to go down... any thoughts? Thanks. I tried to search for this but didn't see a similar thread.

06-05-2011, 05:47 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sealonsf Quote

Would love to hear from someone who owns or has used a K2000 (Km) and the K5. The K5 is expensive so I don't know if it's worth spending the money.

What I specifically want to know is if the focusing with the K5 is significantly better than with the K2000.

I've loved my K2000 but it can really hunt sometimes and has just a few focus points. I like to take photos of wildlife so fast focusing would be great.

Just beginning the thought process and watching for the price of the K5 to go down... any thoughts? Thanks. I tried to search for this but didn't see a similar thread.
I have both of those bodies, though my wife is the primary user of the K2000. I think it would be impossible for anyone else to tell you if the K5 would be "worth it" to you, but it certainly is to me.

The AF is unquestionably better in both speed and accuracy, but again, I don't know if it's enough of an improvement to be justifiable to you.

The main 2 strengths of the K5 over the K2000 are the state-of-the-art sensor and the build quality. The dynamic range of the K5's sensor makes possible shots that are impossible with any other Pentax DSLRs. You have to experience this to fully grasp it.

The K5 also feels like a much more serious tool for photography than any of the small bodies (K2000, Kx, Kr). This is no accident as that's exactly what it is. Unless light weight is of paramount concern to you, the K5 is simply much more pleasurable to use.

All that being said, I do think the K2000 is an underrated body and I am often surprised and delighted with some of the shots my wife can get from it. So if you decide to keep it and invest in lenses instead, there would be nothing wrong with that, either.
06-05-2011, 08:19 PM   #3

I have not tried out the K5 at all but I would love to own one some day. I think the main reason for making this type of up-grade would be for the improved image quality and the weather sealing. Other then that, I think that you should be happy with your K2000 (K-m). When some money comes my way and the need to replace the K-m I have happens, a used K5 will be looked at. As to the K2000, it is an under-rated camera. It is basic but it has all the needed items to create some quality images given the specs it has.
06-06-2011, 07:49 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think if focus speed is the main thing you'd be upgrading for, there is no way that alone could possibly be worth over $1000

06-06-2011, 08:18 AM   #5

I have the K-m and I'm using spot-focus exclusively. My camera seldom hunts for focus, also I want to decide where the focus point of a scene is, not let the machine determine.
But then again, I'm not a sports/action photographer, and weather resistance can be worth its price.
06-06-2011, 08:19 AM   #6
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
I think if focus speed is the main thing you'd be upgrading for, there is no way that alone could possibly be worth over $1000
06-06-2011, 08:40 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Controls and operation.

I remember finding the K2000 a bit annoying, even compared to the K-x, operation wise. I think the K-x added a bunch of little ease of use over the K2000 which was the first camera to have the control panel display.

K-5 even moreso with its dual dials and more buttons.

06-06-2011, 08:53 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jantjooh Quote
I have the K-m and I'm using spot-focus exclusively. My camera seldom hunts for focus, also I want to decide where the focus point of a scene is, not let the machine determine.
But then again, I'm not a sports/action photographer, and weather resistance can be worth its price.
I'll do that too with mine but will go back and forth depending on what I'm shooting. I find that this works rather well when I'm using my DA 55-300 at the top of the zoom. But I have to admit, my sister and brother have a Nikon and I can really see the difference between what I have and what they have when it comes to focusing and metering. I still like my Pentax better though. :-)

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. It helps me look at what I really want. It's not just the focusing, but that's a big reason for me to think of upgrading. I also do quite a bit of low-light photos and don't like using the flash so I'm guessing I'd gain a lot there.

Anyway, thanks! I'll mull it over. Tempted to have both camera bodies. :-)
06-06-2011, 10:07 AM   #9
Veteran Member

It's not just the focusing, but that's a big reason for me to think of upgrading. I also do quite a bit of low-light photos and don't like using the flash so I'm guessing I'd gain a lot there.
Staying within the Pentax stable to get better HighISO performance the upgrade would be from low price to high:
K-x, K-r, K-5.

If money were no object - I would jump straight to the K-5 too.

The K-x is very similar to the K2000 (Km) as it is based on the same body but the AF is improved (it is a slightly cut down version of the one in the K-7) - the K-r and K-5 are slight improvements over the K-x - at least according to the reviews where they actually test AF speed at different light levels.
(BTW - in good light >=6LV - Pentax dSLRs are actually faster than other brands according to PopPhoto tests)

K-5 AF

K-r AF

K-x AF

K2000/K-m AF

As for HighISO - it started with the K-x where the performance was astounding for such a budget dSLR and although the K-r is an upgrade it really has not improved over the K-x on HighISO - the K-5 has 16Mp and by the numbers has improved - but visually the differences are not that great compared to the K-x or K-r -

taken from the K-5 review at dpReview

This is the reason I can't justify "upgrading" from the K-x to the K-r or K-5.

Last edited by UnknownVT; 06-06-2011 at 11:03 AM.
06-06-2011, 11:02 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I feel like over all, the K5 is a significant step up over the km/K2000. Obvious build is one of the biggest things, but everything else from sensor to focus module is at least a little better with the K5 over the K2000.

A lot comes down to what you can afford, are willing to pay for a new camera.
06-06-2011, 11:07 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UnknownVT Quote
Staying within the Pentax stable to get better HighISO performance the upgrade would be from low price to high:
K-x, K-r, K-5.

If money were no object - I would jump straight to the K-5 too.

The K-x is very similar to the K2000 (Km) as it is based on the same body but the AF is improved (it is a slightly cut down version of the one in the K-7) - the K-r and K-5 are slight improvements over the K-x - at least according to the reviews where they actually test AF speed at different light levels.
(BTW - in good light >=6LV - Pentax dSLRs are actually faster than other brands according to PopPhoto tests)

K-5 AF

K-r AF

K-x AF

As for HighISO - it started with the K-x where the performance was astounding for such a budget dSLR and although the K-r is an upgrade it really has not improved over the K-x on HighISO - the K-5 has 16Mp and by the numbers has improved - but visually the differences are not that great compared to the K-x or K-r -

taken from the K-5 review at dpReview

This is the reason I can't justify "upgrading" from the K-x to the K-r or K-5.
Vincent, If quality high-ISO ability were the only factor to consider then perhaps upgrading would indeed be harder to justify. But, as I said above, it's the dynamic range of the K5's sensor that is the kicker. You simply have to shoot with the K5 for a while to realize that your photographic possibilities can be expanded by quite a leap.
06-06-2011, 11:39 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's up to you to decide if you are willing to spend the $$$ on a K5. I went from K10 to K7 after 3 years, but went from K7 to K5 in 1 year and that has cost me quite some money. However I shoot a lot of sports, both indoor and outdoor, and I already have gotten some pictures that I could not have gotten with the K7. The high ISO, the dynamic range and the improved AF of that K5 to me already proofed I took the right decision by getting me the shots I wanted.
So I am happy with my investment, but I can't take the decision for you.
06-06-2011, 11:57 AM   #13
Veteran Member

In your shoes, I'd go for the Kr. A significant step up in AF speed, frames per second, and high ISO / DR.
06-06-2011, 12:15 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
Vincent, If quality high-ISO ability were the only factor to consider then perhaps upgrading would indeed be harder to justify. But, as I said above, it's the dynamic range of the K5's sensor that is the kicker. You simply have to shoot with the K5 for a while to realize that your photographic possibilities can be expanded by quite a leap.
I will accept your point -
However my K-x is just streets ahead of any other camera I have used
and I do use the K-x a lot - in very dark environments where in parts it is actually below both the AF and metering limits of the K-x.

Please see this long thread:

Kx in Use ( 1 2 3 ... Last Page)

I shoot humble JPGs (two stars)
and not even at the full 12Mp, but a step down to 10Mp -
so probably any gains or differences would be lost on me.
That obviously does not mean it's not valid for you -
it's just not worth it to me.

Until I see visibly a noticeable improvement at ISO6400 and ISO12800 -
(like the performance level of the Nikon D3S Full-Frame)
I am unlikely to do any upgrading -
unless of course someone is kind enough to get me one for Free
then I'll take the K-5, please!

PS - perhaps you could please post a few pics to show us clearly the increased DR advantage? Thanks.

EDIT to ADD -

DxO clearly show s that the K-5 is the current reigning champ in terms of dynamic range for APS-C sized sensors.

All the Pentax dSLRs

But under actual photographic tests dpReview found this:

which actually seems to show that the Nikon D7000 has better DR than the K-r which is about the same as the K-5?

Last edited by UnknownVT; 06-06-2011 at 01:13 PM.
06-06-2011, 12:51 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums

The K-5 has the edge over the K2000 in every aspect though it isn't by much.
All in all, you'd be buying into a better package, though whether or not you could justify the cost is really something only you can decide on. I've never owned or shot a K2000, though my wife does own a Kx and to me, the K-5 is a real camera whereas the Kx feels more like a toy. In fact... I'd say the K200D was more of a camera than the Kx which never accommodated a grip, top lcd etc etc.

Anyways, imo. your best bet would be to get your hands on a K-5 and try it out for yourself. That way you can get a feel for the camera and see if you think it's worth the price of an upgrade.