Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-05-2011, 06:00 PM   #1

k10d

So i am still thinking of buying this k10d from a person on craigslst she want 325.00 for the camera it has been refirbished and has never been used, any thing i should look for ? It has no lenses so i plan on using the ones from my k1000 and super program will these work for me? And also does this model have video? Should i offer less like 300 or 250? It seems to be a great camera on what i have read, this will be my first digital slr and thought it was a good price for a starter camera

thanks
john

06-05-2011, 06:10 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Take a look at the "marketplace" on this forum. Over $300 for a K10D sounds a bit expensive. There is no video on a K10D. I'd suggest you also price a K20D....
06-05-2011, 06:55 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I have a K10D and I love it. It is a very capable camera. I agree that $325 is about the upper limit of the value of a used K10D.

The K10D does not have video or even live-view. I haven't missed either one, although I recognize that there are times when LV might come in handy.

It has a 10 MP sensor. High ISO is iffy. If you can expose properly at high ISO, it is acceptable. If the image is underexposed, the noise will be pretty bad. I try not to go over 400 on my camera. I will go to 800 in a pinch, but I try to avoid 1600, if at all possible.

One thing it DOES have, that newer Pentax cameras lack is factory support for tethered shooting. I don't use that, either.
06-05-2011, 07:03 PM   #4

Original Poster
k10d

Thanks for the info guys.Also wondering when the factory does a refurbish what do they do? Also when i do go look at the camera how do i check the clicker or more so how many pics have been taken or do they reset it when they refurbish the camera?

Thanks again
John

06-05-2011, 07:09 PM   #5

Original Poster
k10d

Oh and i forgot to ask this ? Say i pass on this camera and go with say a kx or kr k5 k7 what is the size difference between all of them i have used the k100d and like that size as i have big hands anything much smaller might not be good for me.

John
06-05-2011, 07:16 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K20D don't have video. Smile
06-05-2011, 07:27 PM   #7

adorama has a few k10d's under 300

06-05-2011, 07:55 PM   #8
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
I would ask the seller if they are amenable to meeting so that you can take a few test shots with the K10D. At this point, for $325 the camera should look like it's been kept in the box for the last few years and have less than 2000 shutter actuations.
06-05-2011, 07:55 PM   #9

The K10D and K20D are larger and heavier bodies. All other Pentax DSLRs are smaller and lighter from the original ist* to the K5.
06-05-2011, 08:02 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Decide what it is you want to do, and how much you're willing to pay to do it. There's going to be a compromise on either end of that scale. The K10d is still a fine camera. $300-$325 used is about the average price based on Ebay completed listings (anyone here is free to check that for themselves). Refurbished means, pre-owned and cannot be sold as new. In many cases, these were returned to the factory, freshened up, some may be repaired, re-calibrated, and if you buy one from a store, they typically come with a short warranty.

The K20d is a different camera. Same body, a few of the switches and buttons were redesigned for ergonomics. In spite of popular belief, the bodies are Not identical. Same size, yes. It Has live view but they should have put the resource into something else because it sucks on the K20d. Figure on not using it. It gives you the ability to calibrate up to 20 different lenses for slight AF adjustments. I've never found this feature particularly useful because AF always seemed to be affected by lighting Type and amount. On, again, ebay completed, don't expect to put your hands on one for under about $450.

The K7 gives you an 80% (roughly) of the body size. Redesigned grip for better handling (I think) but if you have large hands, you would probably want the battery grip to go with it (same with the K5). You cannot add a grip to the Kx so if Size is of most importance, you may not like the Kx for that reason alone. Of course, the K7 does video if that's of concern. Live view is quite nice to use on the K7. HDMI output will let you see in HD whatever is on your rear screen in real time. Third party software gives back the function of tethering for most cameras so the lack of it on the K7 doesn't matter anymore. If compact, nice handling, and pro type features are your goal, not a bad starter DSLR (all of them are but this gets close to the best of both worlds). Figure on paying about $600 for a body.

Then of course, the holy grail right now is the K5. Combines the best of the entire Pentax line. Yes, it comes at a cost but IMO, worth it. Again, some changes were made to the body from the K7. They are Not identical. The AF/MF switch is changed and the mode dial is taller. Making them Both easier to use especially for those of us with large hands. I don't care what anybody says about the previous models, nice as they are, none come close to matching the Dynamic Range capability of the K5. Aside from a few hiccups at the get go, Pentax listened on this camera and gave us the features we've been asking for (video zealots aside). I don't know what the rate is right now, I'd guess around $1300.

So, How much do you want to spend, and how much camera do you want to buy? (I know nothing really about the Kx). Yes, your current lenses will work with all of them.

Last edited by JeffJS; 06-06-2011 at 05:19 AM.
06-05-2011, 08:31 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Maybe I'm paranoid, but unless you can get a really good deal, I'd be leery of buying a DSLR without any warranty. Yes, my own refurbished K10D (bought from BestBuy) has been reliable. But, to state the obvious, almost any sort of repair will probably be expen$ive.

Even if that K10D is in unused condition, $325 is too much.

Tim
06-05-2011, 08:49 PM   #12

Original Poster
k10d

Hey thanks for all the input guys , this really helps i am new to the slr end of digital, i have had point and shoot in the past with great results but i would like to get more into better depth of field etc, and also blow the dust off of my other lenses. i would though like to know if i can check the number of pics have been taken, i have been told by the owner that she got if for xmas 2010 and has not used it at all.

Thanks again
John
06-05-2011, 11:30 PM   #13

Photos: Gallery
Refurbished? It can mean anything from a serious repair to a wipe with a duster as long as it looks right and works at the end.

To check the number of operations download and install Photome and run one of the camera's images through it. It has a shutter count entry which is not related to the changeable file number in the top corner of the screen.
06-06-2011, 02:41 AM   #14
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Where you should start with looking for a new camera is how much you are willing to spend. That will make the decision much easier. Then think about the features that you want to have, and that will further cull the list down to the model that will best suit you.

The K10D is fine for low ISO work in reasonably well-lit scenes. Low light work will command better autofocus and sensor technology, notably the K-5 and K-r. There are lots of options, you just need to think about your price limit and desired features before deciding.