Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-06-2011, 12:44 PM   #1

k10d or k100

Ok so let me ask another question do i go for the k10d on craigslist or buy a refurbished k100 for bestbuy for 269.95 saying i can buy the k10 for between 250.00 to 300.00 ofr maybe even wait and save my money some more and buy something brand new with some more pixels , my problem is i have big hands and it seems that the newer cameras are smaller in size than say the k10d or the k100. i am just starting out in the slr world of digital and do not need anything real fancy with lots of bells and whistles.

thanks
john

06-06-2011, 02:31 PM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would suggest that if you want a more professional, weather-sealed body, then the K10D is a decent buy. If you do not need weather resistance or extra customisations of 2 e-dials and other features at your fingertips, then I wouldn't recommend either. I would rather suggest the K-x, which has considerably better high ISO performance than both the K10D and K100D, plus double the resolution of the K100D. The K-x is everything you'll need, including many professional features you may later be interested in, without the professional price tag. A second hand one can be found on the forum for around $350, and new ones not much more than that.

The K-x is not a big camera, but then the K100D isn't big either.
If you want a bigger better-balanced camera, the K10D and K20D are the best budget buys you'll find.
06-08-2011, 09:41 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery
I think the best buy K100 refurb is a little over-priced, remember you also have to go buy a lens for it. It is otherwise a good camera if somewhat older.

I started with that same Best Buy K100d and I returned it once I tried a K-x. It really is that much better, and when you consider a used one can be had for around $375 it doesn't make a lot of sense to spend $275 on a K100d. But the K-x really is a very small camera. The K100d is a solid chunk of camera, a little larger, louder and blunt.

Now, if you want to just learn photography then a used K100d or K10d will both work. The primary difference between a K10d and K100d isn't the resolution, it's the beginner modes you will find on the k100. If you're in doubt about which settings to use then use one of the shooting modes - action, macro, portrait, landscape etc. If it's important that you get a shot on short notice then those modes are good to have.

If you're just using the camera as a learning tool the K10d has all of the external dials you need to get exactly the settings you want. Plus it's weather sealed. But you're more "on your own."

It all depends on your needs. You can scan the For Sale section of this site, all of these cameras come up for sale now and then.

Greg.