Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
12-06-2011, 09:55 AM   #31

Photos: Albums
no, never!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12-06-2011, 10:05 AM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by outsider Quote
I never feel such pressure. The reason I got a pentax is because I spent countless hours comparing features of different models and features that were also BRAND specific. People, orgranizations and industries may have their own reasons for preferring canon or nikon, but to me, part of what makes a photographer is the extent to which he understands and applies all the features of a specific camera to his own work. I've met fellow "photographers" while out on the street who did not know about focus points and that you can adjust them. Of course they were using a popular brand, something that is easily attainable because of marketing. To give in to pressure is to betray the artist in you, the art of photography, assuming you're shooting a camera because of the trend and not for your own unique reasons. The more you know about a device, the better you can apply it. I have a K-x because of lens back compatibility, in camera pixel correction, uses AA batteries and has a fantastic sensor. I have a Nikon D90 and D300 because of the way Nikons render micro contrast. It's the best i've seen. They also have great viewfinders, durable shutters and lots of focus points which are easy to see in the viewfinder. The D300 is highly cutomizable and shoots in compressed and uncompressed 12 and 14 bit raw and TIFF. Every brand has a good camera. If one shoots Canon because the herd does, one is missing out and likely to continue that kind of behavior in other areas his life.
I like this post. It's why I also chose Pentax (head to head camera comparisons as fit for my purpose) and why the D700 is on my list to buy next year (with no chance of abandoning Pentax and the wonderful K5).
12-06-2011, 10:17 AM   #33
Pentaxian

I just rejoined the local photo club after a 4 or 5 year absence, there is perhaps only a couple of more Pentax users in the group but then there seems to be some that only have P&S cameras for now. More of an oddity in that I also shoot MF and LF film but even at that there are others now that do as well.

As far as the original post stated about the club, I can see them not renting a lens for one person however if the dues goes towards the lens rentals the club should or at least could make sure that those without Canon or Nikon dslrs can also benefit. Not with the club but I do have access to Nikon lenses on occasion and even though the selection of lenses that I could never afford is there, I still choose a Pentax when it came to a dslr due to already having the film cameras and value of the product. I do not shoot Pentax because it is different anymore than I still shoot film or up until a couple of years ago (and will again this coming spring) drive Saabs, not because they are different but because they or it works for me and my needs. Being different is a benefit (or a curse) not the reason selecting the brands I have.

A D3 with a 400 2.8 or 200 2.0 is nicer to use than to pay for
12-06-2011, 10:35 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by borno Quote
I don't know about nikon, but I have found canon users are very critical of their gear. New models are almost always lambasted until the next model comes out and suddenly the previous model is wonderful.
See K5

12-06-2011, 10:47 AM   #35
Veteran Member

I don't feel Peer pressure at all (though it would be nice to swap lenses occasionally) All the togs i've met that i respect actually have tried my kit and liked it. most are either canon or nikon (or both in a couple of cases) shooters but they need the rental support since they have no need to own some of the insane lenses but do need them for shoots occasionally (where the cost of rental is built in to the bid)
OTOH there are a lot of mostly canon (rarely Nikon for some reason) newbies who will slag my gear at events . I'll likely be standing beside them using a fast 50 and a K7. with my k10 loaded with another lens. If it's at a big outdoor function i pray for rain, i'll swap to a WR lens and watch them run for cover while i keep shooting. When I look over at what they are shooting 80% of the time it's some rebel variant with a kit lens. If they have the big FF option and the white lens and still have this attitude i will notice it's on green mode
Point is the Canikon guys who know photography will never slag off your kit and will likely ask to see it and discuss the advantages if you talk gear at all. mostly with these guys i would talk technique or about what we managed to capture. Only 2 things would get me over to Nikon - FF if i finally decided i had to have it barring all else, and rental ability. Nothing would get me to Canon, nice enough gear, some Very good (expensive) lens but i can't stand the ergonomics

One option for this one event would also to rent a body only at the local rental. generally it's not expensive to rent a body for a day, and the weekend rate is usually the same as the single weekday rate
Personally i have almost no desire to shoot a bazooka like that but i rarely shoot wildlife
12-06-2011, 11:44 AM   #36
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
Point is the Canikon guys who know photography will never slag off your kit and will likely ask to see it and discuss the advantages if you talk gear at all. mostly with these guys i would talk technique or about what we managed to capture.
This has been my experience, too. Those photographers whose opinion really matters to me aren't too concerned with brands. They're much more concerned with the results.
12-06-2011, 11:46 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
One would only feel peer pressure if the results aren't there - let the result keep you happy and satisfied.

I used a K10D for years shooting Indoor Climbing Comps, Rockclimbing and Mountaineering alongside Nikon and Canon users - I let my results do the talking and never felt intimidated about the other brands.

My reason for switching to Nikon was for totally different reasons and I really don't get the whole idea of die hard brand loyalty - it proves nothing

12-06-2011, 11:54 AM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dylansalt Quote

My reason for switching to Nikon was for totally different reasons and I really don't get the whole idea of die hard brand loyalty - it proves nothing
Exactly
Which is why at one point or another over the last 40 or so years i've shot Zenit, Fed, Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Olympus, Bronica, Mamiya, Konica, Kodak, holga, Hassleblad, Minolta and so on.
In most cases (not the holga) they all can achieve what i want. some better than others of course (all you FF bokeh nuts should try a 6x7 with a 2.8 lens )
one of these days i'll get a real FF kit with 8x10 and 4x5 backs (and a Sherpa to carry it) maybe with a nice "fast" 300mm 5.6 lol
12-06-2011, 12:28 PM   #39
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dmfw Quote
I belong to a local photo club. They are hosting an event where the members can shoot wildlife pics. using rented 500-1000mm lens. You guessed it, they are only Canon & Nikon mounts.

I love my Pentax, but I do not like feeling like the kid that no one wants to pick for their team.

Anyone else strong considering Canon or Nikon due to the informal peer pressure?

Thanks

P.S.

The same appears true for Sony, etc.

Personally, the same thing that keeps me from getting an FA 600/4 Pentax lens is the same thing that would prevent me from getting one in Nikon or Canon mount, $$$$. To hell with peer pressure.
12-07-2011, 03:34 AM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Personally, the same thing that keeps me from getting an FA 600/4 Pentax lens is the same thing that would prevent me from getting one in Nikon or Canon mount, $$$$. To hell with peer pressure.
Oh yeah

Over hear a Nikon D3s + 600 F4 VR = $ 19 500

I'm not that desperate for bird shots
12-07-2011, 07:13 AM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In reading this thread and most of the posts, I think that the best answer by far was to just take a card along and see if someone in the club will let you shoot the long lens.

After all, If the intent is to get an opportunity to learn some technique about shooting a long lens, it is somewhat camera independant isn't it? It is much more about other things, including tripod mount, focusing through branches, and the bokeh etc of the lens. None of that really changes.

As others have suggested, take some old takumars and let them play, even use your camera, and see what they like and don't like doing MF.

it should be give and take.

The thing I object to more, is on photo tours, where they only discuss canon and or nikon features, and not show any understanding about other cameras. there you are paying for their photographic expertese not a training course on using a canikon
12-07-2011, 08:04 AM   #42
Veteran Member

For a very small amount of money you can buy a 800mm or even 1000mm mirror lens. And Pentax is the only brand that will provide such lenses with good working inbody shake reduction.

Some folks are amazed at the IQ I get out of my supercheap & superdark 800mm ƒ8.0 Vivitar handheld. Of course you can get better IQ out of the huge bazooka-like canikon lenses. But they are so expensive that any normal hobbyist will have to rent those.
12-07-2011, 01:53 PM   #43

Some good points are coming up here. Getting to the main subject of camera clubs and rental long lenses, a club should be based on a more well rounded base to allow others to the wide range of photography tips to improve there images. The name brand of the camera should be low on the list of items needed. Learning how to get the best out of the camera whether it be point and shoot with some form of overriding exporsure to learning full manual control on a D-slr allows one to get the most of there cameras.

Allowing one to make use of their Pentax just shares the joy of the owner gets out of it. Seeing older m42 lenses being using in manual mode creating pictures with a newer D-slr even on the entry level models may open some peoples eyes to the design set-up that Pentax offers.

I too have a longer mirror lens from my film days. It is the Tokina 500mm F8 mirror lens. It has its limitations but being compact makes it easy to carry in my camera bag. The built-in camera body SR system allows any older lens have increased chances sharper image quality.
12-07-2011, 02:05 PM   #44
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

We all know marketing works. And it's the big reason why the big guns are as successful as they are. But as with many users here, neither peer pressure nor marketing comes into the decision making when purchasing gear. And that's how it was for me also. Before I invested in Pentax, I never knew much about the brand, nor the other brands apart from what billboard and magazine ads had been in my face until that point. The decision to go with Pentax was all about the feel and performance of the gear for the money being paid. To date, I still consider Pentax doing well in this regard - a good reason to stick with them...
12-07-2011, 02:44 PM   #45

My two friends that are also into photography shoot canon and the other shoots nikon. I have thought of switching just for the ability to share glass, but every time I look at canon cameras I just cannot bring myself to giving up dual dials, SR on all lenses, and the amazing build of my K10D. I received an *ist DL as a gift (when I originally wanted a nikon or canon) but obviously wasn't going to turn down a gift camera, and as I had no lenses for any brand there was no reason to want to switch. After using the ist and then getting the K10D, I am very glad I stumbled into the Pentax brand. I wish Pentax would do a better job marketing so the used market, rental market and third party markets become as populated as they are in the canikon set, but other than that I have no complaints.

I still really want to meet some fellow Pentaxians or get some of my other friends shooting pentax, but until I reach a point where another brand suits my needs better (it happens), I will continue to use Pentax.