Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-06-2011, 02:18 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Is it "Canon or Nikon" or nothing?

I belong to a local photo club. They are hosting an event where the members can shoot wildlife pics. using rented 500-1000mm lens. You guessed it, they are only Canon & Nikon mounts.

I love my Pentax, but I do not like feeling like the kid that no one wants to pick for their team.

Anyone else strong considering Canon or Nikon due to the informal peer pressure?

Thanks

P.S.

The same appears true for Sony, etc.

06-06-2011, 02:33 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dmfw Quote
I belong to a local photo club. They are hosting an event where the members can shoot wildlife pics. using rented 500-1000mm lens. You guessed it, they are only Canon & Nikon mounts.

I love my Pentax, but I do not like feeling like the kid that no one wants to pick for their team.

Anyone else strong considering Canon or Nikon due to the informal peer pressure?

Thanks

P.S.

If some club is renting a fancy lens in some other mount, bring your own card and borrow a camera body, too. If they're your friends, they'll do that. If they want you to reciprocate, get an M42 one and bring adapters for everybody.

When all my better-off friends only wanted to hang out at the gun club, (skating me on ammo) .... I brought my bow. Gave a few lessons. They could lose arrows, but not more than I could replace. Don't treat it that way. Bring something. It's not a brand war, clubs. Just share.

We are the Pentaxians. We are the archers at the gun range. If you want to use the big rented lens, give your Pentax to someone *else* with which to photograph the proceedings.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 06-06-2011 at 02:40 PM.
06-06-2011, 02:38 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The direct answer to this question is, no not me. You can toss, Olympus, Panasonic, Samsung, Sigma in there too by the way.

Ok, so we can't have those ungodly long and expensive lens. So you can't play in this round. We can get things like the 50-500 Bigma + teleconverter.

Personally, I like being the different guy. I don't have to worry about wet weather. My gear doesn't cost as much. I can pick up a cheap 30-year lens on ebay and get amazing results.

My general experience is that Pentax users know there gear inside and out while the bulk of the others don't.

Ultimately it's about results not brands anyway, but I do take pride in my gear and don't want to be just like the rest of the sheep.
06-06-2011, 02:41 PM   #4
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Pentax is not very popular, but then that's what makes it a niche brand.
Nevertheless, brand is never important - the final results are, which are determined much more by the photographer than the gear used. There are lots of debates that arise from this notion even here on the forum, and whilst gear is obviously important (no photo without camera and lens) it is evident that how the gear is much more vital in the quality of the results.

If club members don't appreciate that, you might experience some resistance there. On the other hand, if it's your perception of others' opinions that's getting in the way of you feeling comfortable there, then work on your own confidence and let your results do the talking, even if just for your own benefit.

Last edited by Ash; 06-06-2011 at 07:40 PM.
06-06-2011, 02:46 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I own a K20d and love it but I also purchased a second hand Nikon D80 so I can rent lenses as needed. I don't mind using two systems, it lets me compare them and gives me a nice backup.

The Pentax I can use in slightly inclement weather but if I really need a nice lens, I can rent it for the Nikon.

Nothing wrong with having two systems.
06-06-2011, 02:48 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Canon and nikon have always been the more popular brands and as such events like the ones youve mentioned will undoubtedly be geared towards that crowd. However with that said i see things like this if I change to a nikon or canon then there will be one less pentax there and possibly even less incentive to allow people to rent a k mount version. I love my pentax. However for the 1000mm range youd need to look at m42 variants as pentax hasnt released one in those ranges in a long time.
06-06-2011, 02:53 PM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
If this is not a premise the photo club goes by, then it doesn't sound like you would be welcomed there.

I think that's just jumping the gun. All we know is they rented a big lens. Nothing to panic about. To the OP, I still say, bring an extra card.

Also, you are not a brand. Neither are they. This is a photo club: the purpose of clubs is being people: and if it's about the kit, you probably have the most-interesting of *that* in the whole bunch.

I mean, hey, look at *us.* Hillerby (mostlly) shot Miranda in the 'Nam and I don't think a lot of us here even know what that *is.* (I do, cause that's what my uncle *gave* me,* mind you) ... And he's probably got the most popular thread on this *forum.* Don't be intimidated. If they're photo people, they will both share, and be interested in you. (and your stuff) Just share *back.* This is how we do it. It's even how it was done before you could look any darn thing up on the Internet and pretend to know it. Have. Fun. Kid. If you stop having *fun,* you got nothing on crusty old me, and *I* expect *better. Cause I expect *you* to knock my socks off, and you won't do that worrying about what brand of lens someone rents.

Dig?

I want to see the heart, I wanna see the eye, I wanna see the *skills,* I wanna see you knowing the optics and the computers are just what's in between. Make photos. (and if you're in a club, be with the people. I promise, whatever that is, it's nothing any brand name can replace. I probably wouldn't be shooting Pentax *now* if I didn't grow up trading gear with whoever seemed to need it at the time. (or, wailing, 6x7 with Takumars... ) That's why I know it's good stuff, and *how.* Y'know? )

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 06-06-2011 at 03:30 PM.
06-06-2011, 04:01 PM   #8
Veteran Member

When I started in the local photo club I was the only one who shot with a Pentax (SP) sans any apology or so I thought. A month or so later a long time member comes back from vacation and he's got a Pentax SLR in his hands too. He now owns a K-DSLR and so do I. In addition there are now 3 people in our group that seem to like our cameras enough that they are seriously thinking about switching.

I actually jokingly got offered a Canon DSLR for my K-x when I told everyone about it. It was a joke. The guy who offered to trade is a long term Canon guy, but he rather likes my K-x nonetheless. There isn't a member there who knows my loyalty to Pentax cameras is pretty much absolute.

They do kid us about being Pentax Geeks, but then again we kid them about being Canikon Sheep too. It's all in fun and nobody really cares for the most part which camera is in which hands. There's been some real snobbery at one point, but the two of us shooting Pentax, showing what a good Pentax can do? I think it's earned some respect for the brand around here, shrug.

I get peer pressure, sure, mostly from other students, and from my one teacher here who teases me that I have to go Nikon to go pro, but I don't care what other people think about me preferring my Pentax. Why should I? I did my homework. I picked the best brand of camera for ME and I know I did, and I'm not having any regrets thus far.

I've used a Canon/Nikon or two while with my teachers and at the photo club meetings. They're perfectly nice cameras, but they're not for me. I pick up a SPII or a K-x and it fits right into my hands. I couldn't ask for a more perfect fit actually. I honestly feel a lot less comfortable with a Canon or a Nikon in my hands. Ergo-wise I just like the Pentax cameras better. I definitely won't be switching anytime soon and no amount of peer pressure could make me, sorry.
06-06-2011, 06:28 PM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
The direct answer to this question is, no not me. You can toss, Olympus, Panasonic, Samsung, Sigma in there too by the way.

Ok, so we can't have those ungodly long and expensive lens. So you can't play in this round. We can get things like the 50-500 Bigma + teleconverter.

Personally, I like being the different guy. I don't have to worry about wet weather. My gear doesn't cost as much. I can pick up a cheap 30-year lens on ebay and get amazing results.

My general experience is that Pentax users know there gear inside and out while the bulk of the others don't.

Ultimately it's about results not brands anyway, but I do take pride in my gear and don't want to be just like the rest of the sheep.
Here Here blackcloudbrew!! I've been shooting Pentax since I was 14 (now 52). Never because everyone else did, only because I liked Pentax.. My own reasons. Now when I go for a hike with my faithful Golden Retriever in the rain, I am shooting with my K7 and the others are just walking. Just saying....
06-06-2011, 06:36 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I am a membre of a photo club . We are only 2 guy with a Pentax. The other one in monthly photo contest win at least one of the honor mention every month . Photo are judge without knowing owner or camera . At the end of the year he win 1st place with the most winning photos. As you can imagine he his creative and he use Pentax. Oh yes, no photoshop are allowed other than normal adjustment
06-06-2011, 07:08 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think you can separate Canikin snobs from real photographers pretty quickly.

A while back I was in a local camera store and was looking at some legacy lenses (for my pentax kit) and another local sooter was ther doing the same for his nikon. We discussed things for a while, and he ended up asking if i was interested in joining his club full knowing my loyalties.

He knew what was going on, and systems are largely personal preferences.
06-06-2011, 10:24 PM   #12

My first DSLR was IST DS then the k10 , then k20 now thinking of k5. When first buying a DSLR the sales person tried to stear me towards the canon. For some reason, I asked to look at the Pentax, felt right in my hand have been with them ever since. Have taken Photo's in rain been dunked and are still working.:ugh:
06-06-2011, 10:49 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by downunderman Quote
My first DSLR was IST DS then the k10 , then k20 now thinking of k5. When first buying a DSLR the sales person tried to stear me towards the canon. For some reason, I asked to look at the Pentax, felt right in my hand have been with them ever since. Have taken Photo's in rain been dunked and are still working.:ugh:
Nail on the head there! The number of times I have heard just that, a guy walks into a dealers and the first and only thing they try and sell them is a Canon. Is there a larger margin on Canon or something? Certainly Canon have a marketing department that is second to none in the photographic world and probably ranks up there with Coke and McDonalds when it comes to salemanship generally so trying to persuade people to consider other options is often a thankless task. The K10 was meant to be a 30D equivalent, it knocked it all over town whilst the K5 offers so much in a compact body and produces images that are usually useable with only minor tweaking in PS, a far cry from my Canon days.
06-07-2011, 07:51 AM   #14
Banned

Well it is probably nice to have such a long telelens at your reach for like an hour, but then again, if you don't buy it, there is no fun in it to use it at all.
06-07-2011, 08:14 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Ok, here is a take from someone without any photographic history and new to the subject..
And to be honest, feeling the lack of pentax love a little bit..
When I was deciding what system to get, I in the begining assumed it would be a Canon, after all I has a powershot S95, and my first serious camera was a Powershot G2 that I loved so much i kept it for 10yrs before giving it to a friend as I couldn't bear to sell it to a stranger.
I think the moment I began to look at Pentax was down to flickr - there was a shot up there with a FA limited lens which blew me away and I started researching the Lens and the camera (K7)
That led me to DPreview and finally here where I have found my home as everyone is so helpful and it has a nice vibe.

I like being part of a niche group..
I also hate being part of a niche group when it comes to buying equipment - there are hundreds of Canikon discount sites out there, not so many for Pentax :-(
I also think that the "100's of cheap old manual glass" bit can be deceptive, as I don't think that old Pentax glass is much cheaper than old Canon glass now, though I like the fact that I can get really old glass still via the M42 mount..
Ebay is the same - all Canikon and not much Pentax, though there is some thank god..

Thats the down side that make me look over to the Canikon side

BUT

I like my K20D - to me it is a bit quirky and has character, and I love the way it fits my hand with everything a finger away. I have just bought some old glasss that Im looking forward to trying out.
I like the community here - Canikon users tend to be more judgemntal and quicker to attack other people from some of the forums I have seen. They seem alot more obsessed over who has the best kit as well...
I guess Pentax feels like more of an adventure to me, and in the short time I have been with Pentax, I have a strong brand loyalty, because it suits me and how I feel about my photography inside..