Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
06-07-2011, 08:27 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If the club is renting these lenses (and your dues helped pay for it), then I think you have a legitimate gripe which ought to be taken up with the club's board. OR...they could pay for the rentals by charging the Canon/Nikon folks a fee to use the lenses.

06-07-2011, 11:11 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Slightly Off-topic:

What's up that 2 out of 3 threads in this forum is talking about Canon or Nikon? Jeez... Pentax owners may have some self-esteem issues. You don't see Leica users complaining they get no love, despite being even more of a black sheep (rangefinder?), paying a premium for gear and having just as a sh** time to find lenses, if not worse
06-08-2011, 12:28 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by edgedemon Quote
Canikon users tend to be more judgemntal and quicker to attack other people from some of the forums I have seen.
Another nail on the head there, just go on to any forum and dare mention that perhaps Canon may not actually be manufactured in Heaven and borne down to the grateful hordes by radiant angels upon golden stallions and see the reaction you get. Have even had it on a bikers forum let alone a photographic or other creative one.
06-08-2011, 07:15 AM   #19
Veteran Member

The OP asked if people felt peer pressure from others about having different equipment. For me, it's not about any peer pressure at all, it's simply a practical issue.

It's simply easier and more practical to be able to borrow/rent items from others. The OPs example is a perfect one. Even if you are not the type who would rent equipment, just being able to participate in a group event like that would be nice, but if you own a niche brand, that's the price you pay. I like my Pentax stuff, and I plan on continuing with it, but if I had to do it again, I would seriously look at Canon or Nikon for the practical reason of being able have access to more equipment.

There is an on-line photo rental place that happens to be local to me that allows pick up and drop off of items to save the high shipping costs. That makes a big difference in the overall rental cost. I would have rented items from them on more than one occasion, but since they are not cameralensrentals.com, they don't rent Pentax stuff.

I really don't like the fact that I have no option for trying out a K-5 other than driving to NY to test it out in a store. Same thing for any other Pentax equipment. If I used Nikon or Canon, I could go to numerous different stores, or go to a local camera club meeting and try out the latest Nikon or Canon model from someone there. Same thing with lenses, flashes, etc. This is a big disadvantage of Pentax to me. It's simply a practical thing.

As far as the feeling of belonging by using the same brand as others, I really don't care about that one way or the other. I don't think brand really matters that much in getting a good end result. Each brand does have it's stronger points for certain applications. Camera equipment is a tool to get an end result, each person needs to pick the best set of tools for them.

06-08-2011, 11:49 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jake14mw Quote
The OP asked if people felt peer pressure from others about having different equipment. For me, it's not about any peer pressure at all, it's simply a practical issue.

It's simply easier and more practical to be able to borrow/rent items from others. The OPs example is a perfect one. Even if you are not the type who would rent equipment, just being able to participate in a group event like that would be nice, but if you own a niche brand, that's the price you pay. I like my Pentax stuff, and I plan on continuing with it, but if I had to do it again, I would seriously look at Canon or Nikon for the practical reason of being able have access to more equipment.

There is an on-line photo rental place that happens to be local to me that allows pick up and drop off of items to save the high shipping costs. That makes a big difference in the overall rental cost. I would have rented items from them on more than one occasion, but since they are not cameralensrentals.com, they don't rent Pentax stuff.

I really don't like the fact that I have no option for trying out a K-5 other than driving to NY to test it out in a store. Same thing for any other Pentax equipment. If I used Nikon or Canon, I could go to numerous different stores, or go to a local camera club meeting and try out the latest Nikon or Canon model from someone there. Same thing with lenses, flashes, etc. This is a big disadvantage of Pentax to me. It's simply a practical thing.

As far as the feeling of belonging by using the same brand as others, I really don't care about that one way or the other. I don't think brand really matters that much in getting a good end result. Each brand does have it's stronger points for certain applications. Camera equipment is a tool to get an end result, each person needs to pick the best set of tools for them.
+1 to the above
06-08-2011, 05:04 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Be happy you can rent stuff. There is no place here where you can just rent photo equipment. If it's not already in your bag you can forget it. No one sells Pentax gear at all except for the occasional used listing on Craig's List. I can rent a decent studio space, but even then I'd have to bring my own lights and backdrops.

Once in a while someone will bring something cool by way of a lens to the photo club and I'll miss out on using it on my camera, but I don't mind all that much. Most of the time one of the guys will offer to let me use one of his backup Canons or Nikons as the case may be but I'm not all that tempted by them even with a pretty lens on them. In the end I'd rather settle for my 75-300MM and a converter if need be than swap out cameras.

I don't view having a Pentax as an inconvenience. I view it as an opportunity to think outside the box and to out perform the expectations of others who don't share my love for the brand. Half the time while the guy with the Canikon I'm partnered to is trying to work a behemoth of a lens from back up on a sidewalk so he can take a picture of a bird in a lake I'm walking right up to the shore of said lake and I'm getting it as best I can before the darned bird up and flies away! Yeah, he might get the portrait shot before I do, if he's lucky and actually gets the big lens to work in time, but I don't care.

It's usually not a competition my photography. I take pictures WITH other people sometimes but I seldom actually compete against others. I'll sometimes enter a contest, sure, but honestly it's mostly for the experience and I don't care too much if I actually win or not.

I'm just as happy to see Mr Canikon take a good shot as I am to get one.

06-11-2011, 11:55 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
I think that's just jumping the gun. All we know is they rented a big lens. Nothing to panic about. To the OP, I still say, bring an extra card.

Also, you are not a brand. Neither are they. This is a photo club: the purpose of clubs is being people: and if it's about the kit, you probably have the most-interesting of *that* in the whole bunch.

I mean, hey, look at *us.* Hillerby (mostlly) shot Miranda in the 'Nam and I don't think a lot of us here even know what that *is.* (I do, cause that's what my uncle *gave* me,* mind you) ... And he's probably got the most popular thread on this *forum.* Don't be intimidated. If they're photo people, they will both share, and be interested in you. (and your stuff) Just share *back.* This is how we do it. It's even how it was done before you could look any darn thing up on the Internet and pretend to know it. Have. Fun. Kid. If you stop having *fun,* you got nothing on crusty old me, and *I* expect *better. Cause I expect *you* to knock my socks off, and you won't do that worrying about what brand of lens someone rents.

Dig?

I want to see the heart, I wanna see the eye, I wanna see the *skills,* I wanna see you knowing the optics and the computers are just what's in between. Make photos. (and if you're in a club, be with the people. I promise, whatever that is, it's nothing any brand name can replace. I probably wouldn't be shooting Pentax *now* if I didn't grow up trading gear with whoever seemed to need it at the time. (or, wailing, 6x7 with Takumars... ) That's why I know it's good stuff, and *how.* Y'know? )
An excellent, fully-rational post--thank you.

06-11-2011, 06:47 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, there just aren't many options out there at that focal length for Pentax. Sigma has the 500mm lenses and there are used FA 600mm lenses as well, but if you want to shoot that long, Canon and Nikon are probably better choices at this point (just saying that it would be tough for your club to rent a lens like that in a K Mount).

To the overall question of peer pressure, I don't feel it. At all. I like Pentax equipment, feel comfortable with it. I don't really care who shoots what brand, in the end, the question is if you can come back with the photos you want. I don't always, but I can't say that switching brands would help me, I just need to continue to work on improving my eyes and skill.
06-12-2011, 04:03 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by justinr Quote
Another nail on the head there, just go on to any forum and dare mention that perhaps Canon may not actually be manufactured in Heaven and borne down to the grateful hordes by radiant angels upon golden stallions and see the reaction you get. Have even had it on a bikers forum let alone a photographic or other creative one.
I don't know about nikon, but I have found canon users are very critical of their gear. New models are almost always lambasted until the next model comes out and suddenly the previous model is wonderful.
12-05-2011, 11:28 PM - 1 Like   #25
Veteran Member

I never feel such pressure. The reason I got a pentax is because I spent countless hours comparing features of different models and features that were also BRAND specific. People, orgranizations and industries may have their own reasons for preferring canon or nikon, but to me, part of what makes a photographer is the extent to which he understands and applies all the features of a specific camera to his own work. I've met fellow "photographers" while out on the street who did not know about focus points and that you can adjust them. Of course they were using a popular brand, something that is easily attainable because of marketing. To give in to pressure is to betray the artist in you, the art of photography, assuming you're shooting a camera because of the trend and not for your own unique reasons. The more you know about a device, the better you can apply it. I have a K-x because of lens back compatibility, in camera pixel correction, uses AA batteries and has a fantastic sensor. I have a Nikon D90 and D300 because of the way Nikons render micro contrast. It's the best i've seen. They also have great viewfinders, durable shutters and lots of focus points which are easy to see in the viewfinder. The D300 is highly cutomizable and shoots in compressed and uncompressed 12 and 14 bit raw and TIFF. Every brand has a good camera. If one shoots Canon because the herd does, one is missing out and likely to continue that kind of behavior in other areas his life.
12-06-2011, 12:31 AM   #26
Veteran Member

To answer the OP, I've never felt pressured to buy a Canikon. I have at times wondered what it would be like with a FF however. If I *HAD* to switch brands...I think I would consider Sony. Call me a non-conforming, contrariean, but I can't bring myself to shoot either Canon or Nikon. I know there are plenty of good reasons to pick those two but it's just something in me.

Now if someone could only put out a mirrorless-ff with great high-iso and an excellent viewfinder...
12-06-2011, 12:39 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Do users of other brands fixate on what brand other people use to the extent that Pentax users do?

I really don't give a damn what brand somebody else has. Nor have I ever bothered trying to figure out what their choice "says" about them or my choice of Pentax "says" about me. It all strikes me as a bunch of pretentious hogwash, but then again I am prone to start thinking that way every time I see "art", "artist", "artistry", "vision", "motivation", or "body of work" mentioned. (And here lately even when I see "photography" or "photographer" mentioned. Some are such insufferable snots that I have pretty much quit using either term when talking about myself).

Regarding camera clubs and brands, though, at my local photo clubs annual exhibit back in October we all gathered for a group photo at the end. First they brought out their Nikkor Club banner (NOT our club, by the way) and called all the Nikkor Club members to do a group shot. It was everybody there except me, so they called me over into the shot....out of pity, I suppose. Then we swapped banners to our Silver Photo Club and took the shot again.

Last edited by Mike Cash; 12-06-2011 at 12:56 AM.
12-06-2011, 01:46 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Heck no. I'm one of maybe 3 people in my area, in the local club, who shoots Pentax and I don't give a shiz about peer pressure at all. I'm not in high school that I have to be using the right brand just to fit in. When I first joined that group some people there did subtly (and some not so subtly) try to get me to switch. I just flipped them off, did my thing, and that was that. I will occasionally shoot with a camera of theirs if there is some reason to but we actually don't swap gear much in that group and for that I'm glad. I don't want to share my gear with others actually. The fact that I shoot Pentax makes it less likely that I will be asked to and I'm pretty happy with that status quo. There's one Pentax guy in the group I'd lend a lens too, but he's the only one, and even then I wouldn't give it to him to keep for a while.

I'm pretty territorial about all my tech gear. If I f- it up that's one thing but if someone else did I'd be too ticked. I share a desktop computer with my parents (Though they have their own accounts on a separate partition from me in case they mess up and put a virus on my machine, something that has been done a few times.) but me and my roommates we have our own laptops and we'd never dream of asking to use someone else's. (Might as well ask me to use my rabbit vibe as ask me to use that for all the good it will do you! ;P) There are some things I just don't share and my laptop is one of them. My cameras I get squeamish but I might if I think you know what you're doing. I let my teachers touch the gear let's put it that way, but Joe Schmoe at my photo club? Probably not.

My K-x is a people magnet apparently. When I first got it I showed it off a little to the group but it made me very antsy to let someone else hold it. Considering 99% of the group is Canikon oriented my little K-x attracted a lot of attention from them. They liked it despite themselves I think and even now there is some curiosity going on because they see how great it is in terms of the work I am doing. They didn't expect it to be as good of a camera as it is I don't think and besides which they see me using old lenses as well as my AF ones and that intrigues them.

Most of these people haven't even seen anything but a Canikon DSLR or a point and shoot. They don't know about adapters or using old lenses and while I've offered to talk about it with them they're really kind of clueless in that respect. There are very few people in this group who are even interested in anything that's not completely AF oriented. I hate to say this but even the people with the DSLR's most of them haven't read the manual it seems. They tend to use their cameras more like deluxe point and shoots than not. They want to talk about Photoshop and how to erase mistakes with me a lot but start talking about anything too advanced or about using old manual lenses and their eyes just glaze over.

I go to that group for the company of the handful real photographers that are members. They mostly lead the group. If they didn't I wouldn't even bother because honestly I wouldn't be getting anything out of it in terms of learning anything without them. The other group I was in all we ever did was show off pics and have contests (and fights) over who's cameras and pics were best. It was all about posturing and showing off expensive gear they could barely use. Family photos 90%, the rest was pet shots and garden shots. Nothing even vaguely creative. Not that I don't like snapshots, but with the bickering over brand and the eternal competitions, it got really old after a while so I finally quit.

But no, I'm not a peer pressure driven kind of person. Never was. Not even in high school. I never ranked being popular as being all that important. I wore the good but cheap non-designer jeans then and I buy the photo gear I actually like now. Life is too darned short to care that much about what other people think. Anyone who scorns my Spottie or my K-x isn't likely to know what they are talking about anyway. I don't particularly like certain brands of gear either but I seldom get too caught up in disrespecting them or trashing their brands. Live and let live, whatever works, that's my motto. Ultimately I'm just not that stuck up about someone's choice of gear, smile...
12-06-2011, 07:18 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Those big impressive Canon & Nikon lenses are in the $8000 territory, which I'll never be able to afford. Anyway, there are good and much more affordable long tele options for Pentax... Maybe not as many, but they're out there, and relatively easy to find on the internet. The Sigma 170-500, the "Bigma", Russian & Tamron mirror lenses, are just some of the good long tele options. And you don't have to be Warren Buffet to buy one.

If you want to go longer than 500-600mm, you could always pick up a nice telescope with a camera adapter. That's on my future want list.

Peer pressure isn't a factor, because I don't give a crap what other people think. I do my thing & if they don't like it, that's their problem. It's never really been an issue, anyway.

Last edited by GibbyTheMole; 12-06-2011 at 07:23 AM.
12-06-2011, 08:22 AM   #30

I started using Pentax in college in 1981 since the cameras used was the K1000. I liked the camera and bought one soon after this time. I bought the lenses over time and retained most of them to this day. For me, it was the best to keep within the Pentax system after this. I never really thought about the name on the camera after seeing it in school. I just try get the best out what eguipment I could afford. I have tried others cameras from time to time but like the design set-up of what I have.

I worry more about getting interesting images rather then placing too much time on the equipment name. As long as the equipment does its job, that is my main job. It is up to the user to create the final image, not the model or brand name. As long as the camera has the specs to handle whatever subject matter being presented.

Last edited by stevbike; 12-06-2011 at 10:05 AM.