Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-06-2011, 09:13 PM   #1

k10d lenses

So i went to look at a k10d digital slr today and brought some of my old Pentax lenses with me they consist of a smc pentax-m 1:2 50mm, smc pentax-a 50mm 1:1.7 ,smc pentax-a 1:2.8 this one mounted on the camera but it would not take a picture and last was a Quantaray 55mm af 100-300mm this lense mounted and would take a picture, and actually took a great picture. I guess the question i have to ask is will these other lenses work for me and do i have to do something different with these non af lenses when i mount them to the camera such as a manual setting on the camera itself.

Thanks
John

06-06-2011, 10:12 PM   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Lens on K10D

Yes they fit, yes they work, however I have not done it yet, and there IS a thread that can tell you how on this site. Too much for me to attempt yet, as I have some Manual lenses to try on my K10D also..
06-06-2011, 10:19 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Unless the lenes are actually broken they should have worked. The A lenses, with the aperture ring need to be set to A. For M and A lenses you need to set in the menu "using aperture ring" to 2. With the M lens the camera will not display the f-stop. You will get F--. To check your exposure press the green button or use DOF preview to check exposure settings. I am sure the aperture ring setting is why the camera would not respond to those lenses.
06-07-2011, 08:48 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
See the sticky thread at the top of the beginner's forum for info on how to use manual lenses. Takes much longer to explain than to actually do it; the process is really quite simple.

06-07-2011, 10:04 AM   #5

Original Poster
k10 lenses

Thanks everyone for their input. So i guess i will go back and buy the camera. Saying i do decide to buy some other af lenses what would it cost for a wide angle andd just a regular lense .

Thanks Again i am sure i will have lots of other questions once i start using the camera

John
06-07-2011, 10:41 AM   #6
Veteran Member

That depends on what you mean by wide angle! It would be good just to start out with the Kit lens, 18-55mm. If the camera you're buying doesn't come with one, they can be found in the marketplace for around $50. If you are familiar with the angle of view of the lenses you mentioned on a traditional film camera, for reference 18mm on digital will give about the same photo angle of view in the final product as the 28mm lens you referenced above. If you want something wider than that, the prices start to go up fairly quickly!