Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-14-2012, 10:32 AM   #16
Veteran Member

My initial thinking is da70 as the second choice for those times that you want to get something far away. But really the gap between 21 and 70 seems huge in my opinion. Kind of a big black void.

01-14-2012, 10:58 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by epqwerty Quote
My initial thinking is da70 as the second choice for those times that you want to get something far away. But really the gap between 21 and 70 seems huge in my opinion. Kind of a big black void.
A big black void that is easily filled by the tiny black DA40
01-14-2012, 05:45 PM   #18
Veteran Member

I've also done some of my best shooting with fixed-lens cameras, both film and digital. But I had to run around, energetically. I'm too old for that now.

I have a thread outlining my current 'small' travel kit: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/171256-traveling-light-me.html . Small: only about 50 lenses so far. But that's not really a 'travel' kit; I'm relocating residences for a few months. If I make a long drive across Mexico I'll have far fewer lenses on me. Here's my minimal travel kit, in order of priority:

1. DA18-250, simply the most flexible-usage single lens EVAR!
2. FA50/1.4, my gotta-get-the-shot lens. 70mm is too long.
3. Raynox DCR-250, turns the above into closeup|macro lenses.
4. Komine 28/2 CFWA, perfect lens at a perfect focal length.
5. Tamron 10-24, invaluable for tight spaces and wider 'scapes.
6. Nikkor 85/2 modded for PK, just great in so many ways.
7. DA10-17, nothing better exploiting angles and spaces.

So these handle coverage (10-24 and 18-250), speed and IQ at crucial FLs (primes), and specialty (fisheye and closeup). Slashing that kit would require more energetic movement on my part. Ain't gonna happen. Not without more knee surgery.

Note that the primes follow nearly a 2x rule, with focal lengths almost doubling between adjacent lenses. The predecessor of the 10-24 fit the same pattern: my Zenitar 16/2.8. (The actual ratio is about 1.75x.) So each longer lens has roughly 1/2 the FOV, easy for previsualizing shots. A similar kit could be built as 21-43-85mm and if I had the budget, I'd get me some Ltds and a * to fit there, yes I would.

I don't recall if these questions were already raised in this old thread (TL;DR) re: small kits for home or travel, but:

* We travel with a camera so we can shoot neat stuff. Why scrimp on lenses?
* We have interchangeable-lens cameras. Why not interchange lenses on them?
* If compactness+flexibility are paramount, why not just take a superzoom P&S?

Old thread is old but may attain immortality. Keep those responses coming!