Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-13-2007, 07:42 PM   #16

Photos: Gallery
I take it that you will be publishing the PDF files without any form of security in them, as embedding security to disallow copying of the file, would also prevent any modifications to be made.

11-13-2007, 10:53 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JamesD Quote
I was disappointed with the download file for the Pentax K10D. It contained information for the K100D and not the K10D. Furthermore the first chapter, which was the free download, was little more than what is contained in either the owner's manual or the first chapter of the Magic Lantern Guide. While I understand that there would be little difference in a chapter relating to the camera buttons and their operation, it seems to me that you need to show us WHY we would want to purchase your book. Simply telling us that it is different and contains more detail is not enough, in my opinion. You need to demonstrate this by giving us a chapter to download that contains some of what you are trying to emphasize. Then I might feel more inclined to make that purchase. As it is, I found the download to be a waste of my time. I'm not trying to be offensive, so please forgive me if you feel that is the case. I'm actually trying to be helpful. If you honestly believe your book would benefit K10D owners, then it seems incumbent upon you to offer proof. And the only way you can really do that is by offering a chapter other than the first one for a download.

All the best.
Actually, on the Website, you can download the Table of contents and chapter one of the K10D book and the Table of content for the K100D. However, in about a week from now, the books will be available in printed form (as I have been shipping them for the last six months) as well as in PDF downloadable format for $15.00 or $5.00 for those that already purchase the book in printed form. That alone will save $11.00 of shipping for everyone outside the US and Canada. What is $15.00 for a PDF book when you spend almost $1,000 for the camera. Regular camera magazines cost about $8.00 each noadays, and they are not dedicated to Pentax. If you only learn one thing from the books, it's worth $15.00 but I am confident that you will find a lot of good information.

Regards,

Yvon Bourque
http:k10dbook home
11-13-2007, 11:05 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jena Quote
I take it that you will be publishing the PDF files without any form of security in them, as embedding security to disallow copying of the file, would also prevent any modifications to be made.
Actually, you will be able to print the books but there will be a watermark on each page stating that the book or PDF file is copyrighted and that if you purchase this book from any other sources, you have an illegal copy. You will not be able to modify it, except of course the hackers that will find a way. The K10D and K100D are almost at the end of their respective usefull life as new cameras from Pentax will be replacing them soon. I will be writing other books on the new upcoming Pentax DSLRs and if I see that too many people are distributing illegal copies of the current books, I will only sell printed copies of the future books. Ebay will protect the sale of the books by anyone other than me as they honor copyrights. If someone prints the books in order to sell them, they will have a hard time to make any money as I have been selling the books almost at cost. I stated before that I have not written the books to become rich, I just want to help other Pentax users and cover my costs. It's a great feeling knowing that someone across the world is reading a book that you wrote and getting something out of it. I have tons of emails from satisfied customers from all over the world. The rare negative comments are usually coming from someone that did not read or purchase the book. That's life

Kind Regards,

Yvon Bourque

Last edited by ebooks4pentax; 11-13-2007 at 11:12 PM.
11-14-2007, 12:00 AM   #19

QuoteOriginally posted by k10dbook Quote
Actually, you will be able to print the books but there will be a watermark on each page stating that the book or PDF file is copyrighted and that if you purchase this book from any other sources, you have an illegal copy. You will not be able to modify it, except of course the hackers that will find a way. The K10D and K100D are almost at the end of their respective usefull life as new cameras from Pentax will be replacing them soon. I will be writing other books on the new upcoming Pentax DSLRs and if I see that too many people are distributing illegal copies of the current books, I will only sell printed copies of the future books. Ebay will protect the sale of the books by anyone other than me as they honor copyrights. If someone prints the books in order to sell them, they will have a hard time to make any money as I have been selling the books almost at cost. I stated before that I have not written the books to become rich, I just want to help other Pentax users and cover my costs. It's a great feeling knowing that someone across the world is reading a book that you wrote and getting something out of it. I have tons of emails from satisfied customers from all over the world. The rare negative comments are usually coming from someone that did not read or purchase the book. That's life

Kind Regards,

Yvon Bourque

I already have a printed copy of the K10D book which has been very useful. If I were to purchase a PDF (which I would like to very much) it would be with the intention of reading it on a small portable E-reader out in the field or wherever I may be, which I can already do with the K10D manual. I would have no interest in printing form the file, nor in reading it on a computer screen. I have every respect for copyright, however my own observations of the e-book world is that DRM merely restricts honest people. it does not stop copying for very long.

MY main question has still not been answered, will page sizes in the PDF file be of an B5 size as this is the most practical size for me. If it is A4 size, I would simply not be able to make effective use of the PDF file.

11-14-2007, 06:17 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
i would have the same interest as Jena, specifically using acrobat reader for my PDA, in the field,

Note, I have also been developing my own set of notes on both K10D and *istD on the basis of hafing electronic version of useful things in the field
11-14-2007, 08:36 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jena Quote
I already have a printed copy of the K10D book which has been very useful. If I were to purchase a PDF (which I would like to very much) it would be with the intention of reading it on a small portable E-reader out in the field or wherever I may be, which I can already do with the K10D manual. I would have no interest in printing form the file, nor in reading it on a computer screen. I have every respect for copyright, however my own observations of the e-book world is that DRM merely restricts honest people. it does not stop copying for very long.

MY main question has still not been answered, will page sizes in the PDF file be of an B5 size as this is the most practical size for me. If it is A4 size, I would simply not be able to make effective use of the PDF file.
Within PDF reader, available as a free download, you can resize to whatever size you want, including B5 or even user selectable, and the pages will be reduced to fit. You can test that by downloading any PDF files, including any of the sample PDF chapters at our Website. Try it right now; http://k10dbook.com/K100D%20Book%20Chapter%201.pdf
11-21-2007, 06:24 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Well, it's done. The two books (K10D and K100D) are now available as instant download for $15.00. You save $5.00 over the printed version and there are no shipping costs. What's more, you get the book immediately for download. I you purchased a book from me before, email me and you can have the downloadable version for $5.00. I just need your email address and after verification, I will invoice you for $5.00 and then follow up with the link and your password.

Thank you for your patience,

The downloadable PDF books are found here: k10dbook home
The regular paperback book are found here: k10dbook home

P.S. this message is for the site owner/operator - Moe.....If you want PDF copies of the book for review, just email me and I will make them availavle to you as complimentary copies.

Best regards,

Yvon Bourque

11-22-2007, 06:33 AM   #23
Inactive Account

Purchased and downloaded the K10D Book tonight and having problems printing the manual/book????...Is there a protection against printing this book if ive purchased it??, if not can someone please guide me how to go about it??....
Have emailed yvon but maybe different time zone to here down under to get my email??..
CHeers
11-22-2007, 09:36 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Do u accept paypal?
11-22-2007, 07:25 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
K10D & K100D e-books

QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
Do u accept paypal?
Of course, PayPal is the prefered method.

Thank you for asking,

Yvon Bourque
11-23-2007, 12:58 AM   #26
Pentaxian

Have you started writing new books for the new cameras yet?
11-23-2007, 11:44 AM   #27
Veteran Member

A book with good tips and tricks would be a good thing, however i'm gun shy on buying these kinds of books. When i bought my D2H, i was having some work around problems. I found Moose Peterson's tips and tricks book for the D2H and bought it.

It was basically a reword of the Nikon manual and i recieved no benifits from the book.

I hope your's is better then Moose's was, and wish you luck.

Dave
12-03-2007, 08:36 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Did anyone ever get a yes or no if these pdf files would work on a palm pilot or other ebook reader? I paid for the pdf file and downloaded it on my pc and am trying to put it on my palm pilot but it isn't hot syncing to my palm pilot.

Thanks
Jim
12-03-2007, 09:05 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jbrowning Quote
Did anyone ever get a yes or no if these pdf files would work on a palm pilot or other ebook reader? I paid for the pdf file and downloaded it on my pc and am trying to put it on my palm pilot but it isn't hot syncing to my palm pilot.

Thanks
Jim
Jim:

I think it can be done, although I don't have a PDA myself. I hope I am not offending anyone, but I visit a lot of Pentax sites and discuss camera with members from all forums. On another forum "PentaxWorld" I received the information below. You could log on and perhaps ask Mike Pearson how he did it. I would be interested to know how myself. I am also wondering how to install that on an iPod? That would be cool. Any ideas someone?

Regards,

Yvon Bourque

Mike Pearson
Super Moderator

Rating: 7
[applaud] [smite]

Re: K10D and K100D printed books versus E-Books (in Adobe acrobat PDF)
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2007, 01:00:31 PM » Quote

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yvon,

Great news - I already have camera manuals, etc. on PDA on memory card.

Thanks,

Mike
12-04-2007, 05:38 AM   #30
Veteran Member

I still think the e-version is expensive. In any case when someone comes up with one for the istD - which is better than the crap manual, please let me know.

If you want to reapdf on your PDA, you will need to install a pdf reader for your PDA. I use the Ipaq without problems.