Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
06-08-2011, 08:03 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Pentax O-ME53 Magnifying eyepiece good for glasses wearer?

Hi, I have a k-x and its viewfinder is kind of small, especially giving me a hard time when I shooting with manual lens. I know the Pentax O-ME53 Magnifying eyepiece can do the job, but I am not sure it is good for the users with glasses on? and can I read the data bar at the bottom in VF clearly?

Web research has 50/50 people saying good and bad. I hope some experienced users can share their thought.

Thank You.

06-08-2011, 08:35 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I wear glasses. It *is* both good and bad. It does help with MF. Not a *huge* difference, but every little bit helps. But it does make it harder to see the info display. You can still see it; you just have to move your eye, so you can't see the full frame of the image and the info at the same time. The tradeoff is worth it for me.
06-08-2011, 08:57 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
depends on why you wear glasses as well. i need reading but nothing else. my prescription for my right eye is +3
I just contacted Pentax parts and got a +3diopter. set the variable diopter back in the center and bobs yer uncle so to speak, shoot without the glasses. it was about $30 CDN i think. It could likely be retrofitted for another prescription by an optometrist as well. last i looked -1,-2,+1,+2,+3 were all available as parts, for anything between of course there is still the variable on the camera to fine tune things

fit's all my digital but unfortunately is to small for my film bodies, i've been looking for an older style but they are pretty rare
06-08-2011, 10:04 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
I wear glasses. It *is* both good and bad. It does help with MF. Not a *huge* difference, but every little bit helps. But it does make it harder to see the info display. You can still see it; you just have to move your eye, so you can't see the full frame of the image and the info at the same time. The tradeoff is worth it for me.
Yup, same here.

06-08-2011, 01:30 PM   #5

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks all experts fast and detail sharing.
06-08-2011, 01:36 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes, I have had no issues - in fact I prefer to use it since it increases the distance between my nose and the LCD - so I have less smudges on the LCD
06-08-2011, 02:02 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kenneth3aracing Quote
Hi, I have a k-x and its viewfinder is kind of small, especially giving me a hard time when I shooting with manual lens. I know the Pentax O-ME53 Magnifying eyepiece can do the job, but I am not sure it is good for the users with glasses on? and can I read the data bar at the bottom in VF clearly?

Web research has 50/50 people saying good and bad. I hope some experienced users can share their thought.

Thank You.
So, your problem is manual focus? Much better solution that magnifying cup is split prism focusing screen. That's not a guess, that's my experience

06-08-2011, 04:16 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Some of us don't *like* split prism screens, though - I find them very distracting to look through. That plus the difference in cost, in ease of installation, and the potential effect on metering makes a split screen something I'll only resort to when my eyesight deteriorates to the point where I have no other choice.
06-08-2011, 11:08 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I agree with Marc on all counts.

In the old film days, I found I never used the split prism, because it was easier to get accurate focus just using the matte area (the viewfinder image was bigger and more sensitive to focus error in those days). Possibly I'd use a split prism nowadays on my DSLR, if I had one. BUT, the thought of having to install a replacement screen with the correct shimming is just too much...
06-09-2011, 06:45 AM   #10
Veteran Member

This might be a good thing with a K-x. LOL My nose isn't even near what you'd call big but I am constantly hitting the LV button trying to see through the viewer.

QuoteOriginally posted by manishved Quote
Yes, I have had no issues - in fact I prefer to use it since it increases the distance between my nose and the LCD - so I have less smudges on the LCD
06-09-2011, 01:29 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
depends on why you wear glasses as well. i need reading but nothing else. my prescription for my right eye is +3
I just contacted Pentax parts and got a +3diopter. set the variable diopter back in the center and bobs yer uncle so to speak, shoot without the glasses. it was about $30 CDN i think. It could likely be retrofitted for another prescription by an optometrist as well. last i looked -1,-2,+1,+2,+3 were all available as parts, for anything between of course there is still the variable on the camera to fine tune things

fit's all my digital but unfortunately is to small for my film bodies, i've been looking for an older style but they are pretty rare
Newb here - can you tell me more about this and how it works from a purchasing and installation standpoint? Thanks.
06-09-2011, 03:14 PM   #12
Site Supporter

I've been using the O-ME53 for a while now and wonder how I got along with out it.
I'm near sighted and wear my glasses all the time.
Never used a split prism, don't think I'd want to for macro work.
06-09-2011, 03:26 PM   #13
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
+1 what Marc says on first post

Me, I luv split screen/prism screens (Katzeye) and would not leave home without 'em
06-09-2011, 09:19 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
But it does make it harder to see the info display. You can still see it; you just have to move your eye
I find it actually makes it easier to see the info... Weird... I had to move my eye much more with the stock eye-piece in order to see the info...
However, since working out how to use the green button I look at the info a lot less than I did... Lazy I know!
06-09-2011, 10:07 PM   #15
Veteran Member

If you can see the info with glasses on, then you aren't seeing the whole image frame.