Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-11-2007, 05:43 AM   #1

how to adjust exposure and aperture with buit-in flash on K10D

Hello:

I would like to know if there is any way to know if the exposure and aperture are ok when you are going to shoot a photo with built-in flash.

Without flash everything is easy becouse you can see in the viewfinder if the photo will be overexposed or underexposed with the "indicator bar" at the bottom of the viewfinedr but with the flash opened this one doesn't work becouse it works as the flash was not active.

Dou you understand me?

Thanks a lot for everybody.

11-11-2007, 09:12 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Pop up your built-in flash, use your exposure compensation button and under or over-expose the subject depending upon what you want to achieve. The fact that it is digital means you can test this out without any cost on some trial subjects. Then you'll know what the proper amount of exposure will be rather than someone else trying to figure it out without really being there. For instance, I was in the forest the other day, saw a great mushroom and made several exposures (under exposed) with my built-in flash until I got the lighting I wanted. It's as simple as that. All the best.
11-11-2007, 11:04 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You are talking about M mode and the exposure indicator in the viewfinder in that mode (thanks for letting me check that and indeed it's not recognizing flash activation). In this mode the exposure compensation is not there. M mode I think is used with flash mostly to get the background exposure (beyond the flash range) correct, and that's why I think it does'nt change. The built-in flash is a P-TTL flash so in theory will do all what's needed to get the flash exposure correct, but if needed the only option is to use flash compensation with some trial and error. Also, you can adjust the apertue to control flash, but it is again some what trial and error with DOF compromises.

If using the buil-in flash (not much experience for me as Ii am new to this as well), I find the P mode to work the best.....has the control of both Av/Tv modes without flash and every thing to gain using flash (the expousre is calculated for you).

My Pentax 540 is in it's way and with the HSS, I will be using M mode more often and thus thanking you for letting me know the exposure bar does'nt respond to the flash, which is exactly what I want to balance my background.So that is so cool for the K10D engineers to leave it that way.

P.S: I am learning flash only for the last week or so, so I don't for 100% sure whether my answer is complete.

Last edited by pcarfan; 11-11-2007 at 11:11 AM.
11-11-2007, 12:27 PM   #4

Original Poster
Ok, so in M mode the only way is "try and error" meanwhile in Av/Tv modes the exposure indicator works taking in count that the flash is opened, no?

As I use M mode is most of time, is there any external flash tha tworks with the exposure indicator? I'm lost about flashes.

Thanks

11-11-2007, 12:36 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by itzalak2 Quote
Ok, so in M mode the only way is "try and error" meanwhile in Av/Tv modes the exposure indicator works taking in count that the flash is opened, no?

As I use M mode is most of time, is there any external flash tha tworks with the exposure indicator? I'm lost about flashes.

Thanks
Av mode sucks as it is almost impossible to get the camera to change shutter to max sync speed of 1/180 by changing exposure. Tv should be fine, but really with flash I like to control DOF, so not that great. Experimenting for a few minutes with P mode, I found I could control shutter speed better and it calculates exposure with flash into account.

I am new to flashes as well, so please double check of everything I say...AFAIK, there is no flash with expousure indicator like you describe. P-TTL is suppose to work to compensate EVERYTHING for you and thus an indicator is not needed, and if you argue that P-TTL is not very accurate the same would be true of any technology that can run an exposure indicator. So, there is no need for it. There are lot's of articles on 'strobist' to how to quickly get at the correct flash exposure by trial and error and they say in time you would know instinctively (they recommend M mode for the camera and Manual for flash, so no P-TTL). I am waiting for my 540 to experiment and I am hoping I can balance light in P-TTL/
11-12-2007, 08:57 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I was reading the online manual for the Pentax 540 yesterday, and it looks like it has an indicator for correct flash exposure. It says in certain cameras the flash indicator will indicate by flashing if the exposure is correct. I'll be recieving my unit shortly and can let you know.