Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-11-2011, 05:55 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Modify K100d grip for use with K-x?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Anyone have one of the generic battery grips offered for the k100d?? Like this one:

Battery Grip For Pentax K100D K 100D Samsung GX100 GX | eBay

If so, can you look at it and tell me if it comes apart? I'm wondering if there is way to modify the battery posts such that they would fit the K-x. IF it comes apart, it might be possible......just thinking out loud here...anyone try something similar???

thanks,

06-12-2011, 08:35 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
To answer your question - Yes and no. I bought a similar grip on ebay for the daughter-in-law to use on a Nikon D60. The build quality was very poor, but the electrics were fine. The grip would not even mount to the camera. I had to disassemble the grip and file on some of the plastic parts to get the screw to line up with the tripod mount on the camera. This was not THAT hard because the unit was held together with screws, not glue. The battery works well and lasts along time, she never takes the grip off, just charges it on the camera.
Could you mod a grip for the K100D to fit a K-X? Maybe - Depends on how good you are at modding stuff. Sounds like a major job, I would not attempt it, because it seems to me that the $45 would end up a waste. Remember, the K100D is a little larger than the K-X and some of the grip will extend off to one side of the K-X and the battery contacts will need to be 'adjusted' to fit the K-X. I have found that gluing plastic never is as strong as the original molded plastic and this will be glued at the battery contact posts that need to keep the camera alined with the grip. Sounds like a probable failure point. This has been done already. I remember seeing a post about this somewhere on the net. Did you Google this?
06-13-2011, 06:03 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Ok, great if it comes apart in pieces, modifying ought to be fairly simple. Re-aligning the battery posts shouldn't be that difficult.

Gluing is not the method I plan on using. epoxy is the answer. Industrial epoxy's are far stronger, and can be sanded to exact specs once dry. I've seen a couple homemade grips for the K-x, but none have started with this particular model. Hence my original questions about the grips construction.

I'll give this a try later this summer as time permits.

thanks for the info about the grip being held together with some screws. Very helpful....
07-08-2011, 07:33 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
does anyone have a pic with this grip mounted to the k100?
just trying to visualize it mounted on the camera

thanks