Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-12-2011, 01:08 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-7 Noise

So I've had the K-7 for a few weeks now, however the image noise is doing my head in. I'm loosing so much detail due to having to run noise reduction quite strongly in post production.
I've gone right back to basics today. As low ISO as I can (ISO 100) , Moderate f-stop, and taking a mixture of images - and still in Topaz 5 I'm running at least Moderate if not Strongest Noise Reduction.

As an example, here are is a brefore and after of a day moon photo I took @100% crop:
No NR:

With NR:

And some 200% crops:
No NR:

With NR:

All images are Pentax K-7, Sigma 70-300mm DG APO @300mm, ISO 280, f 5.6, 1/500th Sec.

Thoughts? Is it me doing something wrong? Or am I fighting a loosing battle?

06-12-2011, 01:34 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

For starters looking at your images at 200% isn't helping. Secondly there is a lot of atmospheric disturbances occurring in our upper atmosphere which reduces the amount of detail you are going to be able to capture celestial objects, that is why the Hubble telescope is in outer space - because the interstellar medium is considerably clearer than our atmosphere.

For the moon I would suggest you stop your lens down further and use longer exposures, because these disturbances wink in and out very quickly if you use a longer exposure at night, they won't affect your image quality all that much. And stopping your lens down will improve image quality, no zoom lens performs its best at its widest aperture.

I would also suggest only sharpening your subject and masking out the sky - the smooth tonalities of clear blue sky are bad for showing noise, and sharpening the whole image indiscriminately only makes things worse.

In the end, no one is going to notice that amount of noise unless you print at 24"X36" - some of my best images have noise in them and I don't mind, it's just the way digital cameras are - and it beats the hell out of 35mm film at similar ISO values.

Last edited by Digitalis; 06-12-2011 at 05:28 AM.
06-12-2011, 03:27 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I agree to that, I made yesterday pics at ISO2500 with the K-7 and there is no noise visible untill looked at it at 100%. (I did overexpose by 1). But yes, I do nut intent to pront it at 24x36, max 10x18, and then you will nt see the noise