Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-12-2011, 09:54 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Split screen for *ist DS - any caveats?

Hey all.

I put a split screen into my K100D & now I'm thinking I'd like to have one on my *ist DS as well. Couple of questions:

1) Does it take the same shims as the K100D? (If so, I have leftover shims from the K100D I could use.)

2) Does a split screen screw with the metering on the *ist DS? (It works fine with the K100D.)

3) What other DSLRs share the same screen size with the *ist DS? (In case a search for "*ist DS" screen on eBay shows up too few results, I can look for screen for a compatible camera.)

Thanks,
Bobbo :-)

06-12-2011, 06:29 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Katzeye site has a comprehensive compatibility list.

H2
06-12-2011, 07:08 PM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GibbyTheMole Quote
Hey all.

2) Does a split screen screw with the metering on the *ist DS? (It works fine with the K100D.)

Thanks,
My experience with a split screen on the k10 and K20 was that it threw spot metering way off. the other metering modes seemed to be ok.
06-12-2011, 07:33 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
My experience with a split screen on the k10 and K20 was that it threw spot metering way off. the other metering modes seemed to be ok.
My 3 years of experience with a Katz-Eye screened *ist DS echos yours..... I have had no such noticeable problems, however, with center-weighted readings.

06-13-2011, 12:30 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Seems like all pentaxes share the same focus screens, except for the K5/K7...

At least, I already installed *ist screens in my K10/K20, and I also tried a split made for a K20 in a Kx...
06-13-2011, 04:29 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hey - thanks for all the useful info, guys... I'm not buying a Katz-Eye. Can't afford it, and my Chinese cheapo screen in my K100D works great, so off to eBay I go...

Cheerio,
06-13-2011, 04:41 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by GibbyTheMole Quote
Hey - thanks for all the useful info, guys... I'm not buying a Katz-Eye. Can't afford it, and my Chinese cheapo screen in my K100D works great, so off to eBay I go...

Cheerio,
Try Focusing Screen, a taiwanese company that makes great screens for our Pentaxes.

I have the Nikon K3 version with grid lines on my K7. Very much cheaper than the Katzeye and so much better than the ebay ones.
06-16-2011, 12:51 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
What are the main differences with the various Focusing Screen models?
K-3 or FSB vould seem sufficient for me.

Are there any differences when using AF lenses compared to my standard in the K-x?

Seb.

06-16-2011, 01:02 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bassek Quote

Are there any differences when using AF lenses compared to my standard in the K-x?

Seb.
No, don't worry, the AF mechanism has nothing to do with the focusing screen, so won't be affected.
06-16-2011, 11:46 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dlacouture Quote
Seems like all pentaxes share the same focus screens, except for the K5/K7...

At least, I already installed *ist screens in my K10/K20, and I also tried a split made for a K20 in a Kx...
I am not so sure,

I think the *istD, DS and DS2, plus K10D and K20D all have the same size screen as they are all penta prism bodies, but the *istTDL may be different, and I am pretty sure the KXXX bodies also all have a different screen due to the penta mirror.

I also believe the K7/5 are different from others as well.

As someone pointed out, check the katzeye page for complete compatability.

I have 2 different jinfinance screens, a dual split in my *istD and a single split in my K10D. Both are diagonal splits, which according to Rachel Katz are not as accurate as a split image that intersects at a right angle.
07-03-2011, 10:55 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I am not so sure,

I think the *istD, DS and DS2, plus K10D and K20D all have the same size screen as they are all penta prism bodies, but the *istTDL may be different, and I am pretty sure the KXXX bodies also all have a different screen due to the penta mirror.

I also believe the K7/5 are different from others as well.

As someone pointed out, check the katzeye page for complete compatability.

I have 2 different jinfinance screens, a dual split in my *istD and a single split in my K10D. Both are diagonal splits, which according to Rachel Katz are not as accurate as a split image that intersects at a right angle.

I wonder if the diagonal split vs horizontal split accuracy issue is really true. I purchased and horizontal split screen from Katzeye and I really love it. I wanted one for my istDS but really wanted a diagonal one like on my old ME Super. So that is what I did, bought a broken ME Super, cannibalized it and cut the diagonal screen down to fit my istDS. Works perfectly (the screen thickness of the istDS and the ME Super are identical) and have not had any focusing accuracy issues.
07-04-2011, 03:46 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by david94903 Quote
I wonder if the diagonal split vs horizontal split accuracy issue is really true. I purchased and horizontal split screen from Katzeye and I really love it. I wanted one for my istDS but really wanted a diagonal one like on my old ME Super. So that is what I did, bought a broken ME Super, cannibalized it and cut the diagonal screen down to fit my istDS. Works perfectly (the screen thickness of the istDS and the ME Super are identical) and have not had any focusing accuracy issues.
If it is a myth just test this by tilting the camera 45 degrees. I think it is true but I also find the dual split seems to be more accurate than the single split because there are two spots for an offset in the image