Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-13-2011, 07:54 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
dark pics from tv settings

hi all,
was at a king cobra santuary on saturday taking loads of pics,later in the day they put on a show which needed a faster shutter speed so i used the tv setting thinking that'll be fine,when i put all the pics on the laptop all the pics on tv setting was really dark.i had taken pics in the same place earlier which was fine,so my question why was the pics dark and when i was taking the pics they did'nt look dark for the few secs they show on the screen.
so its long winded but just trying to explain what happened.
cheers

06-13-2011, 04:00 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Show us an example of each complete with EXIF. One that worked in that setting, and one that didn't. Chances are, you had the shutter speed so high that the aperture could not compensate and pegged itself wide open. Was the aperture number Flashing? Did you use Auto ISO or did you have it fixed at some number? Which camera?

06-14-2011, 07:33 AM   #3

Original Poster
pics are now in my album,first two are regarding problem + others i thought came out really well.
hope it helps
06-14-2011, 08:16 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The first dark shot @ 1/1600 is 4-1/2 stops underexposed from the first good one @ 1/60.

Unrelated to your problem, but I recommend not using spot-meter.

06-14-2011, 08:20 AM   #5
Site Supporter

your speed was way too fast and probably too fast to get a "correct" exposure at F4 and ISO 400 so it underexposed. I assume F4 was as wide open as the lens would go. You needed a higher ISO and could have possibly got away with a slower shutter speed. You should have got some sort of indication that the shot was underexposed while shooting.

Your other shots are a bit all over the place too. Don't use spot metering unless you really know how to use it and what it does.
06-14-2011, 09:10 AM   #6
Inactive Account

KCS 360

Doesn't have anything to do with spot metering. Simply put, the shutter speed is way too fast for the situation. In Tv, you choose the shutter speed, the camera picks the aperture. Most likely as I suggested before, the camera pegged the aperture wide open, flashed the number, and probably gave you a flash warning (usually shows as a lightning bolt on the left side of the viewfinder). If you have auto ISO enabled for the semi auto modes, then boost the upper limit. If you have set it manually, set it higher.

In other words, the camera did exactly what you told it to do.

Exposure, Exposure, Exposure. Shutter speed, Aperture, ISO. All 3 must be accounted for.

06-14-2011, 10:00 AM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote

Doesn't have anything to do with spot metering.

Has anyone said it has? 2 posts have noted spot meteing was used which is not recommended unless you know a specific tone you want to meter for or take a series of tonal readings to weight yourself. Using it without that knowledge can lead to under or over exposure but the obvious main cause, in this case, was too fast a shutter speed and too low an ISO as was mentioned.
06-14-2011, 12:47 PM   #8

Original Poster
thanks for the replies,why did'nt the pic look dark on the screen straight after i took the photo?.

06-14-2011, 04:04 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by srandall47 Quote
thanks for the replies,why did'nt the pic look dark on the screen straight after i took the photo?.
You were in "live view" perhaps?
06-14-2011, 11:26 PM   #10

Original Poster
No,was'nt in live view,when pic shows on screen after you've taken it,think i've got my camera set 3 sec,pic was'nt dark then?
06-14-2011, 11:33 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Are you in bracketing shooting more perhaps?
06-15-2011, 09:25 AM   #12

Original Poster
Getting confused,what is bracketing shooting?.
06-15-2011, 12:57 PM   #13
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by srandall47 Quote
Getting confused,what is bracketing shooting?.
Apparently not. Bracketing, You take one photo at one exposure. Then you take another of the same thing at a different exposure (less light) and take a third at another exposure (more light). It's something film shooters do a lot of because they cannot See what is on the film before developing it. It's sort of an insurance policy.

Check your screen settings. Do you have the screen brightness dialed way up? (It's in the settings menu).

06-15-2011, 08:49 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If it's too dark on your computer, it was too dark on your camera screen. You probably just forgot which picture you were looking at.