Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-11-2007, 04:31 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Confused about A and M lens in Av mode

I have a few 50 mm's that I use on my k10d... I'm confused with the Av mode as far as how the apeture works... the manual states that the apature remains open regardless of the apeture ring position, the shutter speed changes in relation to the open apeture but an exposure error my occur.... So.... dose this mean that no matter where I set the apature ring in Av mode, that my lens is going to shoot wide open, even if I have it set to f/22 ? What about when I set the ring to the A position with my A lens, and I use the e-dial to change the apeture, the camera reads that I have it set to f/22... however I don't see a change in shutter speed... is the lens still wide open? If this is so, is my only option with my M lens to shoot in manual mode and use the green button to set the shutter speed? I'm very confused about this situation and apologize for the very fragmented and poorly stated questions in this post, but if anyone could help me out by shading some light on the subject of the use of A and M lens in Av and manual mode, id greatly appreciate it!

11-11-2007, 05:37 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxbling Quote
I have a few 50 mm's that I use on my k10d... I'm confused with the Av mode as far as how the apeture works... the manual states that the apature remains open regardless of the apeture ring position, the shutter speed changes in relation to the open apeture but an exposure error my occur.... So.... dose this mean that no matter where I set the apature ring in Av mode, that my lens is going to shoot wide open, even if I have it set to f/22 ?
Yes, but shutter speed will be correct for open apature[QUOTE]What about when I set the ring to the A position with my A lens, and I use the e-dial to change the apeture, the camera reads that I have it set to f/22... however I don't see a change in shutter speed... is the lens still wide open? The camera, with the lens in A mode should set shutter correct for the apature, unless you have a dirty contact.
QuoteQuote:
If this is so, is my only option with my M lens to shoot in manual mode and use the green button to set the shutter speed?
yes
QuoteQuote:
I'm very confused about this situation and apologize for the very fragmented and poorly stated questions in this post, but if anyone could help me out by shading some light on the subject of the use of A and M lens in Av and manual mode, id greatly appreciate it!
A mode lenses will work in all automatic modes if the apature ring is set to A. M lenses will only work in manual mode, metering pressing the green button, or if you don't mind shooting wide open in Av mode