Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-13-2007, 04:55 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by and Quote
Very unfortunately, it seems to me there will be none over or under the two existing models, just replacements for them. Only thing that might happen is they keep the k100d super and have something between that and the k10d, but thats not really nescesary imo...

I'm not getting that impression at all. One model will most likely have a 14mp CMOS sensor with 5-7 fps and a new advancement that landscape/wildlife shooters will like a great deal (read expanded DR and/or cleaner images at ISO 100 to 800). It will most likely also have live view. I would be surprised if it has an integrated battery grip because of the market it is going after. The AF will be improved but more emphasis will be place on accuracy in low light at the expense of speed. The hints we have gotten from 4 people "in the Know" all seem to point in this direction. It may not be the body for you or me but it would certainly be in the Pentax tradition.

Regards,

Ken

11-13-2007, 09:27 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Hopefully they ''will'' come out with something and not give us fools gold to look forward to.
11-13-2007, 09:58 AM   #18
Inactive Account

Is anyone else hoping for budget primes? Or rather, one budget prime. Nikon and Canon have their 100$ 50mm 1.7 which i would love for Pentax to match, especially with the price of used lenses sky-rocketing.
11-13-2007, 10:33 AM   #19
Inactive Account

They have the FA 50mm f/1.4, about $160 after rebate. They used to make an FA (and F) f/1.7, but I think it was so close in cost to the f/1.4, they stopped making it.
I believe the Canikon's 50mm f/1.4 offerings are closer to $300.

11-13-2007, 10:37 AM   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
Hopefully they ''will'' come out with something and not give us fools gold to look forward to.
Well, CES is the second week in Jan. No need to be all gloom & doom until then. Go out and enjoy your current equipment. The new stuff will get here when it gets here.

Personally I'm hoping for a new roadmap with a fast wide angle prime around 16-18mm but I imagine we won't see anything like that until after the telephotos come out.
11-13-2007, 10:41 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LeftBehind Quote
Is anyone else hoping for budget primes? Or rather, one budget prime. Nikon and Canon have their 100$ 50mm 1.7 which i would love for Pentax to match, especially with the price of used lenses sky-rocketing.
That lens is built out of recycled good camera minus any metal parts... If Pentax would like to make an FAJ series 50 1.? then by all means, but lets hope for a metal mount and some decent gears in it.
11-13-2007, 03:33 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Very unfortunately, it seems to me there will be none over or under the two existing models, just replacements for them. Only thing that might happen is they keep the k100d super and have something between that and the k10d, but thats not really nescesary imo...

Now get those two out of the way and start working on a Pentax with integrated vertical grip, 3.5" screen, top and back status lcd's, 100% VF etcetc for me so I can upgrade from my k10d to something higher level
The K100D is long in the tooth, the K10D is a year old. Both "replacements" will be considerable advances on existing models I understand.

A higher end pro-body may happen at some point but probably not before the end of 2008. They may even bring out the 645D first - who knows. A lot depends on market shifts and the world economy I suspect.

11-13-2007, 05:29 PM   #23
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I talked to a Pentax rep last Saturday and he had NO idea what the new products were that people keep talking about here. He could have been fibbing, but why. I see no real evidence of the actual direction Pentax are heading with new products for the new year. I am sure that it will be good, but until someone breaks NDA I am not believing anything until Pentax makes a formal announcement.
11-13-2007, 10:16 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by davemdsn Quote
I talked to a Pentax rep last Saturday and he had NO idea what the new products were that people keep talking about here. He could have been fibbing, but why. I see no real evidence of the actual direction Pentax are heading with new products for the new year. I am sure that it will be good, but until someone breaks NDA I am not believing anything until Pentax makes a formal announcement.
Yep. Best not try and interpret the speculation and read between the lines, you will probably be wrong. Lets all wait and see.
11-14-2007, 01:55 AM   #25
Veteran Member

One thing that made almost all Pentax DSLRs stand out of the crowd is AA battery support. I hope they keep it.
(lack of it in K10D was a deal breaker for me).

Last edited by Matjazz; 11-14-2007 at 02:04 AM.
11-14-2007, 03:23 AM   #26
Inactive Account

I agree... technology has changed so much during the past 2 years!
My small handheld computer (HP 200LX) is now 10 years old, and it's so much more useful now than it was then, since it uses AA's, and they last months now.

If I had to choose today between a K10D and a K100D, I'd choose the latter just for the AA's. (I believe that *both* models would suit me of course!)
11-14-2007, 03:47 AM   #27
and
Veteran Member

If the new model had AA's then that would be a serious negative for me. Have you AA lovers actually tried using the k10d... I hate the AA solution in my DS...
11-14-2007, 03:54 AM   #28
Veteran Member

If the new model had AA's then that would be a serious negative for me. Have you AA lovers actually tried using the k10d... I hate the AA solution in my DS...
Different strokes for different folks. I had my fill of proprietary batteries in previous digital P&S cameras that I have owned and consequently firmly consider AA (or least AA as an option to a proprietary battery) a selling point. I didn't have the dough to seriously consider the K10D over the K100D as an option anyway, but when I saw that the K10D did not allow for AA I thought, "I'm supposed to find that appealing?"
11-14-2007, 03:59 AM   #29
wll
Veteran Member

The Pentax proprietary batteries are much stronger and give very fine performance in a small package. For me they are the way to go.

I just hope the new semi pro model or pro model uses the same batteries as the K10D.

wll
11-14-2007, 04:15 AM   #30
and
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wll Quote
The Pentax proprietary batteries are much stronger and give very fine performance in a small package. For me they are the way to go.

I just hope the new semi pro model or pro model uses the same batteries as the K10D.

wll
Amen!
I used to think "ugh..no AA's" when I saw the k10d too.
But the k10d batteries last forever, I use 2 at the same time. They just last and last.

The Pentax engieers have said the primary reason for faster AF in the k10d is more juice from the battery. eanough said..... end of discussion....

ok you still want more?
with the DS I had to buy good AA's or use rechargables, bad AA's die really fast, and if I did continous shooting then they could die even tho they were brand new. The battery life of the DS sucks, I always had to carry spare batteries.

rechargable AA's recharge really slowly and I needed so many they cluttered up drawers and desks and I ended up loosing some here and there. with the k10d I have 2 batteries and they are always in the camera or, on rare occasion, in the charger.

the k10d battery is not really expensive, if I had needed a spare or two I would have picked it up but since the battery life is so long I dont need to.

I love the battery solution of the k10d and that is mainly becaue I had the DS and AA battery hell before that.