Photos: Gallery
New Pentax Camera?

I heard of a new pentax 645 camera from a video
it's look big and cool.
here is the video on youtube.
YouTube - The Imaging Resource at PMA 2007: Pentax DA* lenses and 645

11-12-2007, 06:08 PM   #2
Veteran Member

The 645D is a dead project right now awaiting a shcok to the heart which should happen sometime at the end of next year unfortunetly.

The new cameras have names now and will be out ready for sale soon enough now.

Enjoy that tidbit and nobody guessed the correct answer BTW for the pro body LMAO!
11-12-2007, 06:19 PM   #3
and
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

..there is going to be a pro body? Or are you talking about the semi-pro model...
11-12-2007, 06:21 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Does Chris have a little inside information

If so I sure wouldn't mind a little hint.
Not necessarily the name, but a couple of the features

11-12-2007, 06:37 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Technically a semi-pro body if you want to conisder price...

I have some information, but it's not like it's going to help much. The features changed due to the new income Pentax received from Hoya so what I knew may be different then what really happens. It will be better than originally planned, which is huge for Pentax seeing as they typically hold back a little.
11-12-2007, 06:41 PM   #6
and
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When its announced Id like to know the original specs so we can see what they changed when they god the extra RnD cash
11-12-2007, 06:45 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by codiac2600 Quote
Enjoy that tidbit and nobody guessed the correct answer BTW for the pro body LMAO!

*ian? LXXX-D? XC-D?
11-12-2007, 06:45 PM   #8
Veteran Member

This may whet your whistle, at least a bit.

I tried checking to see if I could find a similar thread on this forum but couldn't find it, so apologies if its a repeat.

this was posted at dpreview earlier today, source follows:

Arrgh!

What I do know, I cannot post, if I did, I would never be trusted again.

I am in the process of sifting through the questions that I can answer, it's a lot more difficult than I thought it would be. :-(

I can say that a great many (but not all) of the requests will be answered by the new models, mainly with the top one of course.

The engineers are "very aware" of the desires of us users, they do read this forum, so be careful! ;-)

What can be upgraded by firmware in the existing K10D and when/if it will happen is a difficult question to answer. My own view is that some firmware improvements to the K10D will be made after the new model is launched, as most of the engineering time is currently spent on the upcoming models.

Apparently the engineers are very passionate about their designs, they have a deep respect for the Pentax tradition of image quality and reliability with affordability and don't loose sight of these ideals. The designers approach (i.e. traditional Pentax) is very much slanted towards the landscape, outdoor and wildlife shooter who needs reasonable compact ruggedness, weather sealing, and also the studio/portrait and candid street/people photographer, both of whom are generally more interested in very high IQ, with low noise at the lower to mid ISO's and colour fidelity rather than the outright photo jounalist (PJ) and sideline sports photographers who requires a high fps, high ISO unbreakable machine gun with matching bazooka ultra fast lenses.

The lens situation is a very sensitive and high priority issue and they are painfully aware that there is a huge requirement at the longer end. Enough has been said about the challenges of the new factory, but they say they are past those issues now and with Hoyas help are catching up with demand, but it's been a tough road.

APS-C is still the main thrust, FF (or a lesser crop) is certainly not being dismissed, but is still very much on the back burner. I think it is okay to say that the D3 and Sony's anticipated FF sensor in the near future has created a hightened "awareness", but the 645D project is still the engineers preferred camera project.

I can say that the new bodies will have many of the "expected" features for their price points, plus some interesting un-expected ones. They certainly won't be the "me too, Johnny come lately" products that some pundits have unkindly predicted. I think the K10D proved that Pentax are past that scenario. Not everyone will be satisfied of course, but that's a given fact, there will always be dissenters!

Apparently a small number of beta units are now around in the hands of a few respected individuals, so the anticipated early 2008 release seems to be on target, and no, I don't have one!

It seems that the Hoya takeover has brought much to the table, not just with cash, but with genuine enthusiasm for the photographic and optical business. Certainly my contact at Pentax UK is very enthusiastic about the current state of affairs and he has been with them a long time. Also, considerable attention is being paid to the internal structure and levels of service and support issues as well as dealer coverage, which should improve matters considerably in this direction. The Pentax Pro Centre initiative has proved very successful with dealers here in the UK and I've been told there are now around 70 in the UK! I shall be asking for a list!

Please be patient a little while longer, I will do as detailed a report as I'm allowed as soon as I can. It may be a week or two yet.
--
Richard Day - 'Carpe Diem!'
Gloucester UK

source:

Re: you have an update for us Richard? )n/t): Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

11-12-2007, 07:35 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Richard has reported all of this before on this forum except for the fact that some beta units are now in the field. Other people that are supposedly also in the know have pretty much confirmed the same things. I have no doubt the units will be announced by the end of January but am pessimistic about when they will be in stores. My guess is still mid to late summer.

Regards,

Ken
11-12-2007, 07:42 PM   #10

If the firmware updates address the crappy AF of the K10D I'd be a happy camper! They can't come soon enough! The icing on the cake would be a 14mm/f2 or 18mm/f 2 or faster Limited lens, built like the old FA series (which I have all of!) with metal AND NOT a pancake lens! They'd make my day as a landscape/architectural shooter if they'd produce one of these and drop it on us with a price point UNDER $1100. Hopefully, far better than the disappointing new * series zooms! Just my 2 cents!
Rob W
11-12-2007, 07:51 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by regken Quote
Richard has reported all of this before on this forum except for the fact that some beta units are now in the field. Other people that are supposedly also in the know have pretty much confirmed the same things. I have no doubt the units will be announced by the end of January but am pessimistic about when they will be in stores. My guess is still mid to late summer.

Regards,

Ken
They'll be out before then Ken.

QuoteOriginally posted by macdaddy Quote
If the firmware updates address the crappy AF of the K10D I'd be a happy camper! They can't come soon enough! The icing on the cake would be a 14mm/f2 or 18mm/f 2 or faster Limited lens, built like the old FA series (which I have all of!) with metal AND NOT a pancake lens! They'd make my day as a landscape/architectural shooter if they'd produce one of these and drop it on us with a price point UNDER $1100. Hopefully, far better than the disappointing new * series zooms! Just my 2 cents!
Rob W
Crappy AF?

The * series is only disappointing to those who don't have them. Better than the Canon 70-200 2.8 IS L and half the price so I don't see how thats disappointing?

Could we get conversation that has to deal with the topic of the thread instead of all this not so needed negativity? If you want negativity make a thread about it.
11-12-2007, 08:03 PM   #12

Rob W
In what ways are the new * zooms a disappointment. MY only disappointment with this lens is that I promptly dropped my K10D with the 50 - 135 * attached, 2 hours after opening the box . Lens is working perfectly on my Ds at the moment, giving me razor sharp images. The K10D is in for minor repairs, the exposure lock button is jammed but not other damage.
11-12-2007, 09:14 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Hopefully, far better than the disappointing new * series zooms! Just my 2 cents!
Rob W
Do you own one of these * lenses? I didn't think so...It is an amazing lens...quick and sharp....
11-12-2007, 10:12 PM   #14
Veteran Member

One thing that I think people are missing is the fact that our "insiders" are talking about the new bodies coming out, in plural! I'm very curious to see whether there will be two bodies above the K10D, or whether they'll go with one above and one below (an 8MP K100D perhaps?). Or maybe there'll be more than two bodies? That would be a surprise :-)

I'm going to enjoy all this from the outside. Having bought my K10D in late August, I'm not due for a new body until 2010 or so
11-12-2007, 10:21 PM   #15
and
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Very unfortunately, it seems to me there will be none over or under the two existing models, just replacements for them. Only thing that might happen is they keep the k100d super and have something between that and the k10d, but thats not really nescesary imo...

Now get those two out of the way and start working on a Pentax with integrated vertical grip, 3.5" screen, top and back status lcd's, 100% VF etcetc for me so I can upgrade from my k10d to something higher level

QuoteOriginally posted by Miserere Quote
One thing that I think people are missing is the fact that our "insiders" are talking about the new bodies coming out, in plural! I'm very curious to see whether there will be two bodies above the K10D, or whether they'll go with one above and one below (an 8MP K100D perhaps?). Or maybe there'll be more than two bodies? That would be a surprise :-)

I'm going to enjoy all this from the outside. Having bought my K10D in late August, I'm not due for a new body until 2010 or so