Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-12-2007, 07:39 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Sudden mystery.... Help!?

Had the K10D for 8 months, loving it. Often shoot in M mode with antique (ha) lenses. Just tonight, doing a little impromptu low-light test shooting, I noticed that my exposure mode dial seems to have gone haywire. It will correctly function in X mode, B mode and M... but all of the other ones, including green and User, it registers as Av. Any guesses? Do I have to send it off?

Note: I have seen Plornt's thread about mode dial problems, and this is not the same thing; I know what the meter mode lever is.

Conditions: I updated my firmware only once (I think it's 1.10 -- can you get it to tell you?). The lens on there right now is the SMC-FA 50/1.4 but it behaves the same with the lens off, so...

Thanks!

11-12-2007, 08:19 PM   #2

Cant help with the dial problem. But to find out your firmware version, simply turn the camera on whilst holding down the menu button and the version number will display.
11-13-2007, 08:36 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks jena -- confirmed, v 1.10.

So, anyone: should I try updating firmware before assuming it's a hardware issue? Any disadvantages? Thanks!
11-13-2007, 08:44 PM   #4
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is the aperture ring on the FA lens set to "A"?

11-13-2007, 09:00 PM   #5
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ole's suggestion is the most likely issue. If you have it off the A position the camera should work the way you described.
11-13-2007, 09:15 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Ole's suggestion is the most likely issue. If you have it off the A position the camera should work the way you described.
It sounds like there is a circuit discontinuity somewhere, the problem could be that the contacts between the lens and camera body are dirty or that the spring on the A contact on the lens has failed or that the contacts within the lens have failed.

It's very easy to check for a circuit with an ohmmeter on the lens, when in the A position the pin should be short to the mount. Any simple multi-meter would do and there is no possibility of damaging the lens by doing this type of test.

Cheers,
11-13-2007, 09:18 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
Is the aperture ring on the FA lens set to "A"?
BINGO. Didn't know that, but it makes perfect sense. (That is: no, it was off of "A")

Many thanks, all. Panic attack averted!