Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-17-2011, 02:31 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ordering from Canada?

Much as I appreciate and enjoy my interactions with Canadians I must ask if there is any downside to ordering from a Pentax AD in Canada when one is in the US?

06-17-2011, 02:55 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
You often get better warranties in Canada It's the same produt line, so if (that's a big IF) you find a better price on our side of the biorder, go for it! But I'd contact B&H first, asking for a price match...
06-17-2011, 03:02 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
You often get better warranties in Canada It's the same produt line, so if (that's a big IF) you find a better price on our side of the biorder, go for it! But I'd contact B&H first, asking for a price match...
Well with NAFTA it should be the same but I'm actually wondering about somethign you joked about - warranties.
06-18-2011, 07:05 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
NAFTA garantees free trade, but I assure you we are NOt getting the same prices you guys are. Is that belief one reason why so many americans seem to be against that trade agreement?

On average, according to reports I've read, we pay around 20-30% more for identical goods than you do. Even cars manufactured in Canada and exported to the US sell for more here.

Regarding warranties, I'm not joking, we often get two years for Pentax products.

06-18-2011, 12:37 PM   #5
Inactive Account

QuoteQuote:
Regarding warranties, I'm not joking, we often get two years for Pentax products.
But would the OP get that? He states he is in the US.
Also I wonder if there are US import duties and what are the extra charges
for international shipping?
06-18-2011, 01:42 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Careful with ordering from Canada right now, you may not receive the order for a LONG time. I can't ship to Canada either because of this problem. The post office won't ship to Canada because of this:

http://www.sacbee.com/2011/06/17/3709045/us-postal-service-to-suspend-accepting.html

Posties locked out, government eyes back to work legislation
06-18-2011, 02:06 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Colorado CJ Quote
Careful with ordering from Canada right now, you may not receive the order for a LONG time. I can't ship to Canada either because of this problem. The post office won't ship to Canada because of this:

U.S. Postal Service to Suspend Accepting Mail to Canada This Weekend - PR Newswire - sacbee.com

Posties locked out, government eyes back to work legislation
Thanks. Guess that means that UPS & FedEx will be busier than ever.

06-18-2011, 05:38 PM   #8
Site Supporter

I ordered from a Pro camera seller using Paypal and was charged a 3% fee by my bank for making an international payment. Beware.
06-19-2011, 09:49 PM   #9

Some manufacturers will honour the warranty only if you bought it in the same country you're trying to return it in. Not sure if that is the case with Pentax or not, but it's probably worth looking into.

Price wise... some things are 30-40 dollars either way (K-r + kit lens) or are cheaper in the US... often by a significant amount (Sigma 18-250 is 479 at B&H and 699 locally ). Couple that with the $CDN being worth more than the $US, shipping etc etc... it may not be worth it to buy from up here.

The postal strike is a whole other issue....

Regards