Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-15-2006, 05:17 PM   #16
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very inconsistent, I might add. Since the K10D's RAW beat both of the other cameras, he should have given IQ at least an 8.5.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-15-2006, 05:37 PM   #17

Some said at DP that jpeg and RAW pictures are not focused similarly. That jpeg is back focused compared to other brand jpegs. Do you see the difference?

Actually I can see it......

What do you think are the results if you take crops/measurement results from back focused jpeg?
12-15-2006, 05:47 PM   #18
Veteran Member

i have a certain lens.. it takes nice picture that are soft.. the fact they shapen up nicely with after processing helps a little but not enough.. sooner or later it willl end up on ebay..

i think phils attitude has been biased by his k100d review.. "i think pentax have got it about right".. he now finds something that quite clearly should have got it more right but hasnt.. its got it more wrong..

some of the dpreview forum members quite clearly get up his nose also.. having once run a 20.000 page hits a night forum i know where he is coming from on that one..

it was still a good review.. but not quite as good as some pentax fanboys wanted.. if phil askeys oppinion bothers them that much.. they have a problem.. and it isnt how good a jpeg their k10 produces..

trog
12-15-2006, 06:47 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have to agree that his rating does not match the content of his review, which for the most part was very good analysis of the camera.

On the other hand, I really don't care how he rates it. You get a pretty good sense of the camera by reading the review.

I'm certainly not getting rid of the camera now or changing systems, even if the Jpeg IQ is not quite up to the competition.
  • As Phil noted, the real world difference is nonexistent.
  • I own the camera, and it's beyond the return date. - Not that I would.
  • The feature set of the K10 is outstanding
  • The ergonomics are excellent.
  • I have too much invested in Pentax glass.
  • I love the my Pentax glass.
Sorry, I didn't mean to rant. a lot people over at DPR get way to upset about this stuff.

Too many people expect a perfect camera. It is not. No camera is. Learn it's strengths, learn to get around it's weaker points, use your photographic skills, and I truly believe the K10D will return superb results.

Cheers all. Forget this stuff and go take pictures.
-Alan

12-15-2006, 09:01 PM   #20
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Gee, lets see..... if the jpg output was really the only issue, then for the price of the nikon D80 someone could get the k10 and photoshop cs2, and do everything in raw..... then kick some butt

I think when someone nit picks something to death, they are bound to find something they don't like.

randy
12-15-2006, 09:59 PM   #21
Inactive Account

I went over to DPreview to check out the review of The K10D - not suprised really.

It amazes and scares me a little the power that Phl Askey has garnered for himself in the Digital Camera industry (and I say camera as I believe he is a tech head only and has no idea of the artistic side of photography).

As I am banned from DPR I will say this here - I believe the reviews of non Canon/Nikon products are biased. Just go back to the Nikon D50 review in its comparison against the *istDS and you'll see that bias in its full glory. Enough of my rant and please don't bother flaming me I wont respond.

I'm still happy with my *istDS - even though most DSLR consumers who believe Phil Askeys reviews would be under the impression that jpeg photos out the DS look like a garish smears of petrolem jelly.

I just hope Pentax don't cave in to the likes of Phil Askey and produce a canon copy that produces digital plasticky shots straight out of the camera cause Phil Askey will certainly find something wrong with that also.
12-15-2006, 10:10 PM   #22
Forum Member

Here's the thing I noticed.

"For me it's a fairly comfortable Highly Recommended..."

Sony A100 - 50 points

"Highly Recommended (just)"

Pentax K10D - 52 points

Strikes me as just a bit weird. Anyone else?

(Also, the D80 - 53 points)
12-15-2006, 11:02 PM   #23

I am guessing he has a problem dealing with innovation and is unable to be subjective. Look elsewhere for your reviews.

I bought one several weeks ago without ever seeing a review, the actual performance of most of the 10MP cameras is not far from the same, the main difference is in support, features and handling, the K10D is the better camera, by how much I am not sure but I am sure a happy camper.

12-15-2006, 11:14 PM   #24
Veteran Member

As a long time observer/poster at dp review, I don't find anything that is not expected. I'm pretty sure in one of the threads there, long before the review of the K10, I stated that Phil would give it a "highly recommended w/ reservations".
I find the (just) part to be just as predicted and quite funny.
12-15-2006, 11:57 PM   #25
Veteran Member

My only problem with Phil is he is extremely inconsistant...

As others have pointed out its funny it scored 52 and got reservations for 'highly recommended' but the A100 got a 'comfortable highly recommended" with only 50 points... Obviously his rating and scoring system are not related?

The other interesting part is Phil mentioned the same not highly sharpened JPEGs for the *ist D review but in that review he said it was a choice by Pentax and not really a problem, yet suddenly here the same thing is a problem worth serious IQ penalty despite the RAW being the best of the 10mp cameras...

Last edited by joele; 12-16-2006 at 12:04 AM.
12-16-2006, 12:55 AM   #26
Veteran Member

My Comments on Phil's K10D Review

RiceHigh's Pentax Blog: Dpreview puts Low Rating on the Image Quality of K10D

QuoteOriginally posted by KFrog Quote
12-16-2006, 01:04 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Not Really! I partially support Phil Askey this time!

QuoteOriginally posted by joele Quote
My only problem with Phil is he is extremely inconsistant...
I don't think so. I think he is consistent this time and at least if the same happened for the *ist DS, Phil did not give a "highly reocmmended"overall rating! Now that Pentax has been treated the same as C and N at Phil's Kingdom! So, what else do you folks want?

QuoteQuote:
As others have pointed out its funny it scored 52 and got reservations for 'highly recommended' but the A100 got a 'comfortable highly recommended" with only 50 points... Obviously his rating and scoring system are not related?
Just because the "Image Quality" marks should weight more than anything else!

I don't even agree Phil in giving a "Highly Recommended" overall rating despite his conclusion have said that the image quality is inferior.

QuoteQuote:
The other interesting part is Phil mentioned the same not highly sharpened JPEGs for the *ist D review but in that review he said it was a choice by Pentax and not really a problem, yet suddenly here the same thing is a problem worth serious IQ penalty despite the RAW being the best of the 10mp cameras...
Nope again. Phil Askey says in his Conclusion the following: "To get that absolute crisp appearance you'll need to shoot RAW, and use Adobe Camera RAW or another third party converter (as the supplied converter produces similar results to the camera)."

That means that even if a K10D user shoots in RAW but convert the pics with Pentax Photo Laboratory 3.1, same burry results will be obtained!

Also, I do believe Phil was wrong for what he said for the *ist D (and I wrongly believed him too). Actually, he is RIGHT this time! Well, he knows well to correct his past mistaken judgement!
12-16-2006, 01:09 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Nope. Pentax don't care about the likes of Phil by heart. But the reality is that many many people around the world DO BELIEVE in Phil Askey. So, Pentax must at the first place try every effort to make Phil feels that the K10D is good and recommend it.

Last edited by joele; 12-16-2006 at 01:48 AM.
12-16-2006, 01:23 AM   #29
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote

That means that even if a K10D user shoots in RAW but convert the pics with Pentax Photo Laboratory 3.1, same burry results will be obtained!
What I'm wondering is if it's possible to convert in the older Photo Lab 3.02 or whatnot that comes with the K100D. Would it give a better conversion from RAW?
12-16-2006, 01:37 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
I don't think so. I think he is consistent this time and at least if the same happened for the *ist DS, Phil did not give a "highly reocmmended"overall rating!
Did we read the same reviews???

This is the same as the D review not the DS... He said the texture detail was present this time just not the edge sharpness.. The DS did not have EITHER, the orginal D was the same as the K10d and was given a highly recommended without reservations...

The IMAGE QUALITY rating was 7.5.. but, When you compare image quality in JPEG the competition is better. Then when you compare RAW the K10D is better.. To me in a mid range DSLR RAW is more important...

QuoteQuote:
I don't even agree Phil in giving a "Highly Recommended" overall rating despite his conclusion have said that the image quality is inferior.
Of course you don't your a brand basher, any reason to bash Pentax is good in your eyes...

QuoteQuote:
Unless they use the edge sharpening present in the program... Personally I prefer the workflow in Bibble though...

QuoteQuote:
Also, I do believe Phil was wrong for what he said for the *ist D (and I wrongly believed him too). Actually, he is RIGHT this time! Well, he knows well to correct his past mistaken judgement!
Was he right when he banned you for brand bashing?

Just a quick question, how often do you print over A3??? in fact do you take pictures ever for anything other than testing?

Last edited by joele; 12-16-2006 at 03:27 AM.
Closed Thread