Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-16-2006, 02:20 AM   #31
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
just a quick warning to those who may not have experienced Ricehigh before.

He is a very amateurish wannabe electrical engineer who stumbled on to the fact that he can gain attention from people if he puts together half a$$ed experiments then draws some wacky conclusion from it then get all indignant if anyone refutes his claims.

He loves to bash the Pentax brand (mainly because he usually gets a bite) and if you try to have a reasonable discussion in which you put forward a differing point of view or dare question his testing techniques you will find yourself on the receiving end of some very weird verbal bashings - be warned!!

If you start making too much sense in your arguments with Ricehigh he will very quickly hide behind "english is not my native language" followed very quickly by the race card.

The best thing is to ignore him and he will go away eventually - but he is very persistant and expect a few hundred loony threads before he finally gives up.

12-16-2006, 02:38 AM   #32
Veteran Member

You failed to mention he has been banned from both Dpreview and Steve's forums for brand bashing... ;-)
12-16-2006, 02:55 AM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by joele Quote
Did we read the same reviews???
This is the same as the D review not the DS... He said the texture detail was present this time just not the edge sharpness.. The DS did not have EITHER, the orginal D was the same as the K10d and was given a highly recommended without reservations...
Yes, of course, we are reading the same (Dp)reviews. But OUR intrepretations on what Phil presents are DIFFERENT.

But, when looking at the samples of the *ist D, it is not as un-sharpening jpegs problem, but actually a "soft jpegs" problem with loss of picture details.

QuoteQuote:
Of course you don't your a brand basher, any reason to bash Pentax is good in your eyes...
You may call me a "brand basher", but then on the same basis, I can call you brand loyalist. But actually I'm not merely "bashing" Pentax as you supposed, when I praise Pentax, you would have never been able to see and remember!

I truly tell what I know and find, always. Believe it or not, it's all up to you. I know that I can't change your mind.

QuoteQuote:
Unless they use the edge sharpening present in the program... Personally I prefer the workflow in Bibble though...
Phil says that already,i.e., PPL 3 for K10D delivers not good results!

QuoteQuote:
Was he right when he banned you for brand bashing?
I don't know the exact reason, but I do report this also from time to time whenever it is relevant.

QuoteQuote:
Just a quick question, how often do you print over A3??? in fact do you take pictures ever for anything other than testing?
Yes, you're right. A measurbator don't take photos (even if they attempt, their "photos" made suck - Ken Rockwell). As such, there is no real photo for me to get it printed!
12-16-2006, 03:09 AM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
You may call me a "brand basher", but then on the same basis, I can call you brand loyalist.
Call me what you will, I use Pentax products as I like the way they do things... you don't, so why continue upgrading and not switch brand?

QuoteQuote:
I truly tell what I know and find, always. Believe it or not, it's all up to you. I know that I can't change your mind.
QuoteQuote:
I don't know the exact reason,
QuoteQuote:
Yes, you're right. A measurbator don't take photos (even if they attempt, their "photos" made suck - Ken Rockwell). As such, there is no real photo for me to get it printed!
So find a new hobby...

I think you have so much trouble in these forums (banned more than once) as we are here as we all share a photographic hobby.. I desire to share knowledge to improve what I see as a form of art.. You are here simply to measurbate, complain and argue.. Maybe that is why Phil and Steve banned you? And why many in DPReview had such little respect for you... think on it...

Last edited by joele; 12-16-2006 at 05:22 AM.
12-16-2006, 04:22 AM   #35
Veteran Member

My God, I hope the diseases from DPR are not spreading here too!!

A bit of enterntainment is fine but hopefully not ruining this forum as well.

I hope RiceHigh TAKES photographs and post some art for us. Cameras are meant to take photographs (canon forum people told me that all the time)
12-16-2006, 05:12 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Call me what you will, I use Pentax products as I like the way they do things... you don't, so why continue upgrading and not switch brand?
I have told repeatedly for so many times at forums (and now at the first starting post of my Blog). In short, I have no intention to switch because I shall keep my excellent Pentax glass (mostly are film lenses, see my Profile here). I probably may build an additional new DSLR lineup by considering that the K10D is not performing up to standard, though.

QuoteQuote:
So find a new hobby...
That's purely my own personal choice. Thank you for your suggestion anyway.

QuoteQuote:
I think you have so much trouble in these forums (banned more than once) as we are here as we all share a photographic hobby.. I desire to share knowledge to improve what we see as a form of art.. You are here simply to measurbate, complain and argue.. Maybe that is why Phil and Steve banned you? And why many in DPReview had such little respect for you... think on it...
You have such a conclusion just because my opinions are *different* from yours. Enough said.

I shall not reply to you further on about myself anymore as I don't want to go into personal. However, any other discussions back on the topic are welcome, though. In short, I concur with Phil Askey's findings.
12-16-2006, 05:27 AM   #37
Veteran Member

You have such a conclusion just because my opinions are *different* from yours. Enough said.
Just to set the record straight... I have such an opinion of you as on three different forums I have never seen you discuss photographic technique, comment on photos or share your photos.. All I have ever seen you post on is measurebation topics (and you seem to admit and are proud of that).. As you say 'enough said'...

12-16-2006, 06:44 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Just to set the record straight... I have such an opinion of you as on three different forums I have never seen you discuss photographic technique, comment on photos or share your photos.. All I have ever seen you post on is measurebation topics (and you seem to admit and are proud of that).. As you say 'enough said'...
Don't you have forgot all these forums, including here, is a GEAR forum, not about photo techniques nor picture critique nor picture sharing of where we and you should go to somewhere else on the net, i.e., to post a photo and discuss on photography (not on gear, nothing for gear talks!)

Sorry to others: I just can't help! :-) I promise, this would be my last reply to Joele on my personal subject!

Often I sratch my head hard on why when I posted opinion about gear, particular Pentaxians kept asking: why don't you post a picture?

But, why?? What thing is relevant here?
12-16-2006, 07:40 AM   #39

Don't you have forgot all these forums, including here, is a GEAR forum, not about photo techniques nor picture critique nor picture sharing of where we and you should go to somewhere else on the net, i.e., to post a photo and discuss on photography (not on gear, nothing for gear talks!)

Sorry to others: I just can't help! :-) I promise, this would be my last reply to Joele on my personal subject!

Often I sratch my head hard on why when I posted opinion about gear, particular Pentaxians kept asking: why don't you post a picture?

But, why?? What thing is relevant here?
You know full well why it is relevant, it has been explained clearly to you many times. The reason it is important is that when it comes to talking about equipment, the ability to use that equipment is probably the most important piece of information one can have when deciding if a person's opinion carries weight.

When Michael Shumacher says something about a car, I listen. When Martin Scorsese talks about making movies, I listen. When Steve McCurry, Sebastio Salgado, Martin Parr, Alex Webb or many others talk about photography, I listen. when someone who I believe has absolutely zero skill with a camera starts spouting; I go to the bathroom.

You remain a laughing stock Michael.
12-16-2006, 08:14 AM   #40
Veteran Member

"brand" forums encourage the bad side of internet photography.. they encouage the fanboy attitude.. i own a pentax camera.. i read the pentax forums to find out information about the type of camera i own and possibly find out a few a of its tricks..

i dont like the fanboy stuff.. i see a bunch of insecure people all trying to bolster their belief that they made the right choice.. i see a bunch of people who love something to argue about and will given the slightest opportunity pick the nits off the back of nits on the backs other nits..

i see a great deal of elitism with terms like troll and derisory terms like point and shoot used to decribes what in essence are more technically advanced compact cameras..

i cant say like what i see.. but participation is addictive.. he he he

trog
12-16-2006, 08:21 AM   #41
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Going Nowhere

I would suggest closing this thread . . . it is going nowhere fast and a waste of time.
12-16-2006, 08:37 AM   #42
Veteran Member

In short, I concur with Phil Askey's findings.
I would believe that until you use one yourself, concurring with someone elses findings, even using "stuff" taken gosh knows how or when, and processed,downsized ect. is not an intelligent thing to do. I never concurred w/ anything regarding my D unless I myself found them to be true. THIS is what makes sense to me. ....... If I selectively took mskads and mousehills and a host of other "perfect" images I would concur the opposite. As to sharpening, THAT is a whole different world. What is good for one thing is not good for another. Just review Mr. Frasers body of work on the subject. Sometimes you can't win. Seems Pentax went w/ dark side sharpening, and Phil complained of soft black edges. Go w/ white side sharpening (these 2 concepts are new to me and never heard such animal till Phil) and you run the risk of white halos. Only thing that bothers me on the tests is the DR. Though I believe that, no matter what the camera, the sensor technology (be it CMOS or CCD) is the true limiting factor. The DR should be higher and needs to be verified.... but softness in jpg, not an issue???? Actually for a good print, the sharpness should be boosted to a level that can appear on screen as "too much". The printer softens it again.
In digital, detail is the highest priority. Detail can be sharpened or softened at a whim, but cannot be created......
12-16-2006, 08:39 AM   #43
roy
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Falcons Quote
just a quick warning to those who may not have experienced Ricehigh before.

The best thing is to ignore him and he will go away eventually - but he is very persistant and expect a few hundred loony threads before he finally gives up.
10-4, ditto, etc...
12-16-2006, 09:32 AM   #44
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rprii Quote
I would suggest closing this thread . . . it is going nowhere fast and a waste of time.
You got my vote on this.
reviews are subjective, and everyone has their own opinions.
Please shut it down

randy
12-17-2006, 07:18 PM   #45
mcm

The way I see it is you either;

a) shoot photos to immediately print out of the camera at typical sizes for an album, or maybe resize and email to your friends or stash on long term storage media, in which case you will never see this soft edge JPEG characteristic, or;

b) shoot photos to print at massively huge sizes for framing and/or publication, in which case you will shoot RAW and spend 90% of your time tweaking images in post-proc, in which case you will never see this soft edge JPEG characteristic.

As a side note; media is cheap enough such that even a hobbyist photographer can get a couple of 2gig cards @ ~100 shots each for a hundred bucks and shoot DNG RAW + JPEG all-the-time. That way, the stuff you want to email off can be harvested straight from the JPEG, and you always have the RAW stashed away for when you feel the need to put a 3'x2' photo on the wall next to your concert grand piano.
Closed Thread