Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-17-2006, 08:06 PM   #46
Ed in GA

The only review that matters

Is the one you give the K10D yourself. I have found that all reviews are subjective and doubt that the review by Phil Askey (I'm fairly new and have no idea why he is the "final word") is no exception. If one wishes to take his review as Gospel, then one should purchase something other than the K10D. If one wishes to purchase one. use it, then draw the same conclusions, I doubt you'll lose very much money when you try to sell it.

Just my opinion.

12-17-2006, 08:16 PM   #47
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Darren M Quote
You know full well why it is relevant, it has been explained clearly to you many times. The reason it is important is that when it comes to talking about equipment, the ability to use that equipment is probably the most important piece of information one can have when deciding if a person's opinion carries weight.

When Michael Shumacher says something about a car, I listen. When Martin Scorsese talks about making movies, I listen. When Steve McCurry, Sebastio Salgado, Martin Parr, Alex Webb or many others talk about photography, I listen. when someone who I believe has absolutely zero skill with a camera starts spouting; I go to the bathroom.

You remain a laughing stock Michael.
Well said, Darren.
12-17-2006, 09:39 PM   #48
Veteran Member

not much point in useing a dslr if all u want to do is shoot webmail shots now is there.. more elitist rubbish i think about useing raw..

i shoot jpegs and i expect a camera to make a reasonable job of them.. i also dont want to have to mess with raw except for the odd special shot perhaps..

i dont overly care about the k10s jpegs cos at the moment i dont have one.. i do react to the rubbish that all real photographers only shoot raw and jpeg quality dosnt matter..

of course it matters.. and no matter how loud all the raw only shooters shout.. most future k10 uses will also want decent jpegs..

trog
12-17-2006, 09:44 PM   #49
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I shoot JPEG and RAW. .at the moment more JPEG than RAW...

But it still doesn't matter to me.. As Phil said you need to print over A3 to notice it.. Also he said it has all the texture detail only the edge sharpening is not as strong..

So if you print over A3 you just apply some USM in photoshop first (that is all the firmware in Can/ikon are doing (applying edge sharpening)... I was always taught to resize pictures when printing that large and you should NEVER apply sharpening BEFORE you resize always better to do it afterwards.. so whats the big deal??

In my opinion it is such an overblown issue it is just not funny anymore..

12-17-2006, 10:25 PM   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by joele Quote
I shoot JPEG and RAW. .at the moment more JPEG than RAW...

But it still doesn't matter to me.. As Phil said you need to print over A3 to notice it.. Also he said it has all the texture detail only the edge sharpening is not as strong..

So if you print over A3 you just apply some USM in photoshop first (that is all the firmware in Can/ikon are doing (applying edge sharpening)... I was always taught to resize pictures when printing that large and you should NEVER apply sharpening BEFORE you resize always better to do it afterwards.. so whats the big deal??

In my opinion it is such an overblown issue it is just not funny anymore..
One of the reasons I switched from Nikon to Pentax is the edge sharpening issue. The D70 has a weak AA filter (as does the K100D I think) and the files needed little or no edge sharpening. With the later Nikon models (D50,D80) the edge sharpening went up to make up for the softening caused by the stronger AA filter. This is evident in photos of branches against a sunset sky (pixel peeped at 200%)
12-18-2006, 06:29 AM   #51
Veteran Member

a strange story really.. a whole bunch of people pre prder a completely untried and un-reviewed camera.. what was their desicion to do this based on "hope".. ??

these same people then go ballistic when the odd minor flaw in their untested product gets pointed out to them..

a pretty silly bunch of people if u ask me..

trog
12-18-2006, 07:28 AM   #52
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by trog100 Quote
a strange story really.. a whole bunch of people pre prder a completely untried and un-reviewed camera.. what was their desicion to do this based on "hope".. ??

these same people then go ballistic when the odd minor flaw in their untested product gets pointed out to them..

trog
"Hope"!

Wishful thinkings, I would say!

12-18-2006, 07:58 AM   #53
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
"Hope"!

Wishful thinkings, I would say!
Got your second wind since mr. Askeys err "downgrading" of the K10..

"Prolific little poster we are ... hmmmm" (said in Yoda voice )
12-18-2006, 08:05 AM   #54
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by trog100 Quote

trog
This is a bit of a silly comment, if you ask me.

Many of us pre-ordered and bought our cameras on many logical conclusions, namely that we were interested in keeping our Pentax gear and the specifications offered by the K10D fit our expectations. I'm a bit surprised by some of my complaints about the camera, but Pentax certainly delivered on many features.

I (and perhaps many) disagree with Phil's review simply because my complaints weren't even mentioned, and his complaints are non-issues with me. I think you're seeing a lot of weight on Phil's review because a majority of forum members came from dpreview originally, that's all.
12-18-2006, 11:51 AM   #55

QuoteOriginally posted by carpents Quote
This is a bit of a silly comment, if you ask me.

Many of us pre-ordered and bought our cameras on many logical conclusions, namely that we were interested in keeping our Pentax gear and the specifications offered by the K10D fit our expectations. I'm a bit surprised by some of my complaints about the camera, but Pentax certainly delivered on many features.

I (and perhaps many) disagree with Phil's review simply because my complaints weren't even mentioned, and his complaints are non-issues with me. I think you're seeing a lot of weight on Phil's review because a majority of forum members came from dpreview originally, that's all.
Agree.

I really think the main complaint is the backhanded comments that Phil has made, uncalled for and the weighting seemingly applied to the K10D has not been applied to other cameras. Make no mistake, the K10D is a brilliant camera.
12-18-2006, 04:59 PM   #56
Inactive Account

While I'm new to Pentax (a 1968 Spotmatic doesn't count) and Pentax digital (OK, I do own a Optio 555 as 'back up') I have lots of experience with other non DSLR digital cameras (Nikon 650, 995, a 5000 something [returned to Nikon after one week] and a 4500. Fuji 5000, 7000 and 9000). I was sold on the K10D by the features and a discount from a friend at Pentax. Mind you I'm up to here with manual and auto focus Nikon glass from my film days. So glass will be an issue.

The way I see it, the sharpness issue, IF in fact it is real, is not a camera or lens issue but a firmware problem in how the camera processes the data CCD to jpeg. If all one needs to do is shoot Raw and not use Pentax software, then it must be the conversion algorithms in the camera. That being the case, Pentax may in fact come out with a firmware up grade somewhere down the line to address the issue.

Any way it shouldn't be as bad as the lack of sharpness in my Fuji S9000. There is a very soft range of focal lengths on the wide angle side. My S7000 was the phenomenally sharp but the 10X optical zoom of the S9000 leaves a bit to be desired.

But since I do not yet have the camera I'll have to reserve final judgment.

I do know that DP Review stated the Optio 555 was sharper than the Fuji S7000, a fact I might not dispute. But shooting with Models, there is no way they would accept me as a serious photographer if I shot with the 555. LOL
12-18-2006, 05:17 PM   #57
Inactive Account

No Escape!

Oh well, it seems I can't get away from this crap.

Askey's review actually helped me to decide on the K10. I ordered it today (with the push by Dell Computer's 20% discount)

I've only held it and compared it with the Nikon D80 and the Pentax K100 but I loved the handling and features.

As for images, those I've seen have been terrific, both jpg and raw. I'll use Elements to tune-up mine but I KNOW they'll be great, with or without PP.

It seems at this point there are only a couple of troublemakers cruising the forums and keeping the pot boiling. Why dignify their sniping? Ignore the clowns and they'll go away.

Now I gotta wait for mine to get here.

Dan
12-18-2006, 06:28 PM   #58
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Photodan Quote
Hey Dan, well at least it is all in one thread here, much better than the chaos at DPR at the moment... I think they have more threads on this topic ATM than all others put together??
12-18-2006, 06:39 PM   #59
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Dan, I'm with you . . . .

QuoteOriginally posted by Photodan Quote

Askey's review actually helped me to decide on the K10. I ordered it today (with the push by Dell Computer's 20% discount)

I've only held it and compared it with the Nikon D80 and the Pentax K100 but I loved the handling and features.

As for images, those I've seen have been terrific, both jpg and raw. I'll use Elements to tune-up mine but I KNOW they'll be great, with or without PP.

It seems at this point there are only a couple of troublemakers cruising the forums and keeping the pot boiling. Why dignify their sniping? Ignore the clowns and they'll go away.

Now I gotta wait for mine to get here.

Dan
I've had my K10D for two or three weeks. I'm generally pleased with it's performance and I rarely pay attention to reviews that try to quantify something as nebulous and subjective as "image quality" - so I paid no attention to Askey's review. However, after seeing all of the BS on the forums about the review, I took the time to read it today. Now I'm wondering what all of the fuss is about; I didn't see anything that would make me send mine back.

Jerry
12-18-2006, 07:04 PM   #60
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
I've had my K10D for two or three weeks. I'm generally pleased with it's performance and I rarely pay attention to reviews that try to quantify something as nebulous and subjective as "image quality" - so I paid no attention to Askey's review. However, after seeing all of the BS on the forums about the review, I took the time to read it today. Now I'm wondering what all of the fuss is about; I didn't see anything that would make me send mine back.

Jerry
A not-so-interesting fact: I bought my *ist DS because of Phil's review, which was negative in nearly the same way as his K10 review.

55,000 photographs later, I bought the K10.
Closed Thread