dp reviews K10D

dpreview.com has reviewed the K10D.

Pentax K10D Review: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review

12-15-2006, 12:11 PM   #2
Veteran Member

7.5 on image quality. Ouch.
12-15-2006, 12:32 PM   #3

Photos: Albums
Not totally sure I agree on the image sharpness issues, but then I haven't tried actually having any printed yet - I'll reserve judgement until then. The casual shots I've been taking seem fine to me.

So, if they don't completely wow me, it's gone!

...not!

I love my K10D.
12-15-2006, 12:43 PM   #4
Veteran Member

It took me a while to take it all the review article...

Most of the criticism about image quality rests on the these comparison jpegs among competition brands.

The dislike of image quality is a preference kind of thing. I prefer to have all the "texture" and play around the gausian blurr of the background if i want. Edge sharpness can be sharpened up in photoshop. But the so-called "texture details" are something you would find it hard to process better in any photography software.

After all, it was still a great solid review with "slanderous" insults on image quality. Sure many of us would feel that it is not 7.5 for the rating.

p.s. canon 30d uses the same sensor DIGICII as 20d and I did not look back comparing its nature shots to k10d's counterparts. The studio testing of these images are done in one room temperature with presumably 5000 K studio lighting which "does not" reveal the true nature of great colour renditon of k10d in various environment and lighting...

I do aggree that k100d did produce cleaner images though ...

My 2 cents

12-15-2006, 12:51 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow, I've never seen a more comprehensive review

I also have to agree that the JPG processor in the K100D and even DS is better than the K10D's, but you can't beat its RAW! On the other hand, the outcome really depends on the subject, so in some cases, the K10D may prove superior...

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-15-2006, 01:15 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I will be anticipating the reviews from other photography magazines just for the entertainment reading. (funny that various reviews on same subject seem to vary a lot and sometimes contradict each other depending on how these competition reps tempt these magazine editors)

Cheers
12-15-2006, 01:21 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Somehow I tend to disagree on the edge image sharpness, even with JPEG out of the camera, I tend to use FAR less post process sharpening with K10D and Tamron lens than I've used on my "higher rated image quality" 350D/Rebel XT... Just my $0.2...

Regards,
D

12-15-2006, 01:58 PM   #8
Veteran Member

the new "god" is less than perfect.. batten down the hatches and prepare for the flack.. he he..

trog
12-15-2006, 03:16 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by trog100 Quote
the new "god" is less than perfect.. batten down the hatches and prepare for the flack.. he he..

trog
nothings perfect
12-15-2006, 03:17 PM   #10
Veteran Member

To me Phil's big complaint is a non-issue.. I have no problem with the JPEGs and even he said you won't notice a difference in the JPEG unless you print OVER A3, that rules me out...

ALL GOOD!
12-15-2006, 03:22 PM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by trog100 Quote

trog
Phil probably deserves some flak on this but the softer jpeg images should have been a Pro not a Con, allows users to post process to the level they want, remember that he said if printing up to A3 then you will not be able to see any difference between the cameras.

If you are printing above A3 then you will probably be shooting RAW anyway and you have more detail in the K10D jpegs so there is more overhead to sharpen later if you want anyway, once you have lost detail by aggresive noise reduction etc you can never get it back.

Personally I have not seen the softness that he talks about even from my supposedly less sharp lenses.
12-15-2006, 04:25 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Nothing against Phil, but I think there was something wrong when he took the jpeg shots. I've tested the K10D and the K100D jpegs, using the F50 f1.7, and looked at 100% crops. The K10D shots were better. Sharp and colouring was great. Just my 2 cents.
12-15-2006, 04:31 PM   #13
Forum Member

I thought the review was very well written and conducted. If you actually read through the whole review, you get an overwhelming sense that this camera outpaces all the nearest competition.

Then you get to the end of the review - 7.5 for image quality just because the JPEGs are a little soft?! This despite having better detail at all resolutions than the D80 and noise similar to the 30D. 'highly recommended (just)' - this is irritating as most canon and nikon users will simply flip to the last page and see the 'image quality issues'.

Taken all in context if you shoot RAW:

You've got a camera with weather sealing, shake reduction, good construction, fast accurate autofocus, top image quality at all ISOs, good noise control, excellent colour precision, etc. etc.

So if it wasn't for the JPEG issue, this camera would get perfect?!

Duncan.
12-15-2006, 04:35 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Worth Repeating

Phil said you would not notice the edge sharpness issue at A3 or smaller, and that it is a matter of taste. Soft texture detail, on the other hand is hard to sharpen. The K10 seems to do texture sharpness very well.

The RAW IQ is outstanding.
12-15-2006, 05:07 PM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by roscot Quote
Phil said you would not notice the edge sharpness issue at A3 or smaller, and that it is a matter of taste. Soft texture detail, on the other hand is hard to sharpen. The K10 seems to do texture sharpness very well.

The RAW IQ is outstanding.
And yet he still marked IQ way down. He is inconsistent and cannot be relied upon to be subjective.
Closed Thread