Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-19-2011, 07:14 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am really tempted to sell my K20D and get a K-x/ Henry's is clearing them out right now for $349 with a lens. Anyway, I constantly find myself wanting to use the wife's K-x. The K-x with the 90 Tamron or 21 ltd is just so light and easy to carry, plus it is way better in low light. 800 ISO on a K-x is less noisey than 200 ISO on my K-20D and with Pentax's new "no lens below F4" policy that is really critical. Plus, the back screen controls viewer is a big plus. It is so annoying having to tip the camera up if you're shooting at eye level, to see what your EV and F-stop are as you change settings. Sure you can see it in the viewfinder, but I often have to crouch or stretch to look in the viewfinder. So long story short. Between the weight and use preference, I should really trade in my K20D. I just find the K-x so much easier to use. I'm sure I'd miss the two dials, because I do love that feature and miss it when I use the K-x, but there are always trade offs.

06-19-2011, 07:52 AM   #17
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
It seems to me it is difficult to separate psychological factors from hardware factors.

I am increasingly woeful over my lack of progress as an artist to the point where I've about given up. At first I was enthusiastic about the images I was making but as I learned more my standards grew faster than my ability.

Could this be part of your problem? We all tend to look with envy on our own period of discovery and think our initial work was much better than it actually was.

If you posted a mix of your early photos & late photos do you think we could sort them? If we cannot sort them by age (ie. equipment) perhaps your problem is mostly behind the camera.
06-19-2011, 08:14 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by causey Quote
It hasn't happened to me, but I understand how it could happen to someone. Today I PP-ed a dozen of pics taken with my K200D (sold) almost three years ago. I love my K-x and the images it produces, but I was surprised by the vividness of those three year old pics. They seem so... "alive" K200d is a truly exceptional camera. The features, the weathersealing, the top lcd, and the sensor... I prefer the K-x for the smaller size and weight, but K200d's images @ISO 100-200 can't be produced by my current camera.
I agree! I got a K-R to eventually replace my K200D, and yet there is something about the images from the K200D that the K-R just doesn't give. I am not sure, maybe I need to get better at PP, but the K200D images didn't really need much PP, and the K-R does need more PP to get that 'look'.
06-19-2011, 11:01 AM   #19

Photos: Gallery
Thirded. Even from the first week I had the K200 I noticed right away I liked the photos better than those from the K-x. I can't explain why though.

QuoteOriginally posted by gp1806 Quote
I agree! I got a K-R to eventually replace my K200D, and yet there is something about the images from the K200D that the K-R just doesn't give. I am not sure, maybe I need to get better at PP, but the K200D images didn't really need much PP, and the K-R does need more PP to get that 'look'.

06-19-2011, 07:06 PM   #20

Yep, I love the image quality from my K200D. I'm never selling that camera.
06-19-2011, 09:15 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
All of you have such words of wisdom. And yes, the K200 was, I think, the camera for me. Its the one I adapted to almost immediately upon purchase, it was always in my bag (even if only with a kit lens in the early days) and it had enough "pro" features to keep me happy most of the time. Not doing ISO above 1600 wasnt an issue, because I wouldnt (and still tend not to) shoot over 200 anyway. I can probably live without live view, its not really essential, just nice to have, like that extra edial and TAv mode.

*Sue moves into camera hunt mode*
06-20-2011, 06:46 AM   #22
Veteran Member

If K-x sensor behaved like K200d's sensor @ISO 100-200, K-x would be the absolutely perfect camera for me. This being said, both the K200d and the K-x are superb cameras--and I prefer the latter overall.

06-20-2011, 09:16 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It seems like good photos start before you ever put the camera up to your eye with visualization. That part shouldn't change between the K200 and any other camera. If you are shooting jpegs, the jpeg engine is different between the K200 and K5 and that could make a difference as well.

Overall, I feel like the K5 is an excellent camera and I haven't felt the issues you describe.
06-20-2011, 12:40 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've been finding TAv at shutter speeds around 180 or higher and picking f8 +/- a few gives the best results in the sun. I usually have SR off, except indoors or in poor light when the shutter speed needs to be much slower. I'm getting better images that way.

We'll see how bee pictures turn out when I use SR and just shoot Tv at high shutter speeds. The K10 did a nice job with that, and I can make direct comparisons.

It is a different sensor, though, and will look different. I'm also getting used to shooting RAW+ and playing with exposure and adjustments to get the look right. I didn't care for images in 'Vibrant' mode on the camera, it threw the colors too blue/purple.
06-20-2011, 12:45 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kyteflyer Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by InlawBiker Quote
You can send it to me if you want, I'll give you my K200d in return :-)Greg.
LOL! Dream on, Greg
Okay...
How about two K200D's...
You'll get one for each hand?
06-20-2011, 02:46 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
Okay...
How about two K200D's...
ahhh. Another dreamer. Given that I have not yet been able to find a local K200 I am going to take the advice of many, and just get out there and play. Perhaps that is the issue. We already know its not the camera, but how much of what I am experiencing is a strange kind of negativity about photography in general.

In the last couple of days I have been thinking about why I take photographs. Its not for money, I dont ever sell (I would, but my stuff clearly isn't appealing to many), and I'm not going to go pro for reasons I already said. And yet, I still want to shoot. The one thing that has changed in the last few months is that I began going to a local camera club. I was really keen at first, but as time and the months have worn on, I am less inclined to bother. Why is this? It (my photography) has become *all* about the competition. The club is all about competition. and on the off weeks there are tutorials (usually about photoshop or how to make silk purses from sows ears). Occasionally theres a photowalk but it always has a challenge,... another competition. And I am probably one of the least competitive people on the planet. I just don't enjoy it. So I have decided to leave the club, stop competing (or trying to) and just do what I like, not what some club guru says I ought to do.

So.. for now... I'm putting the negativity away, and putting away the notion that I ought to sell the K5, and I am just going to take photographs for their own sake, which is what I was doing before.

I'll still be looking for another K200D though
06-20-2011, 05:20 PM   #27
Veteran Member

I reckon you're probably doing the right thing, I have heard some camera clubs are pretty competitive. It almost becomes like a sport! That said, if I could, I would join my local one lol. But I think taking the pressure off and just shooting what you like is a positive step forward Concentrating on pleasing yourself, will turn out better pictures that you will enjoy more.
06-20-2011, 05:34 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by NicoleAu Quote
I reckon you're probably doing the right thing, I have heard some camera clubs are pretty competitive. It almost becomes like a sport! That said, if I could, I would join my local one lol. But I think taking the pressure off and just shooting what you like is a positive step forward Concentrating on pleasing yourself, will turn out better pictures that you will enjoy more.
Thanks, Nicole... the one I am referring to is really quite big, for a regional centre, with over 120 members. I was enjoying the tutes for a while but even that has become tiresome because for me... well I would rather try for a really good shot out of the camera, than take a scattergun approach and then choose the best and go to work in photoshop. For me, photoshop is a finishing tool, not a tool for manipulating so much that the original becomes almost irrelevant. Still, whatever floats your boat and that ain't it, for me.

I havent been out to the lake in the afternoon for a very long time. All things being equal, I may go this afternoon.
06-20-2011, 05:45 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
Okay...
How about two K200D's...
I had Noah give it a try; he didn't quite have the hand strength to wield both at once

(maybe I should have taken the grips off first)

06-20-2011, 06:07 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kyteflyer Quote
It (my photography) has become *all* about the competition.
You just said it in a nutshell right there.

I like my local camera clubs, most of them, but I refuse to get sucked up into that competitive mentality. It can take all the fun out of photography. Even when I enter a contest I don't view it as competing with anyone, but more as something I do to challenge myself. If I win, I win, if I don't, I don't, but at least I've challenged myself in some way I hopefully haven't before.

A little constructive criticism isn't always bad. From someone qualified to give it it can help a lot, but more often it's a case of too many non-qualified people having an "opinion" and of course everyone always thinks they're always right. It's too easy to get to doubting yourself all the time when people who who don't even know you feel free nitpick at your work. Everybody online (or in some clubs) thinks they're entitled to rip you apart just because they don't "like" something you do. Because it doesn't particularly appeal to them it's not supposed to have any merit at all.

I'm not saying the social interaction is a bad thing for your photography. Whatever keeps you motivated, but if the competing thing is really "all" that's going on in your club then maybe it's time to find another, better one. Photo clubs should be supportive, not destructive. Not everyone in them is a pro and they shouldn't be expected to be.